Chesapeake Sportsman Show February 9, 10, 11 Jarrettsville Fire Department Hall, MD

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pre64hunter

Mar 19, 2010
    Harford County
    Gonna head up in little bit. I always wanted to go this one. You never know what you'll find at show like this. I wish I would have got a table for it. I have some things to sell. Oh well I will sell at the one day Bal. Co. G & F show in April.
    probably not too late to get a table, there's always last minute cancelations.

kingfish

Jan 15, 2008
    I went today. It was a waste of time. I loved the Bel Air show and this wasn’t it. A lot fewer tables with barely a selection to be had. Instead of gun stuff, throw in some old duck decoys, old fishing rods, and reels etc. not great stuff either, it was more like a cheap garage sale. Some guy was even selling old boots. Lots of junk. Also, that venue was way off the highway and not near the old venue. Breaks my heart to see another show go down the tubes, especially that one

Dudleydog

Oct 25, 2009
    I got a good deal on an old Mossberg pump shotgun for $125. The one dealer with the new guns always had one or two people filling out paperwork. The German WWII pistol display is always interesting. Big parking lot is a plus. Did hear that a few of regular gun dealers were at other out of State shows so the gun side was less then previous shows at the armory.

pre64hunter

Mar 19, 2010
    Harford County
    It is a nice show but there was no line or crowd. Off the highway but so is BelAir, nice ride in a country setting. Square foot wise, it's the same exact size as the Armory and everyone (except one) said it's a much nicer venue than the Armory.
    There's one dealer with a big bunch of new guns, AR's and Henry's. Lot of knives, pistols, a lot of nice old guns if you know what you're looking at and a WIDE assortment of ammo. The guy doing transfers was busy considering the small crowd. I bought two guns worth a couple grand. Speaking of Garand, there's a nice M1 Garand built in 1955 (53?), unfired!! The guy bought 2 in 1955, new and correct and never fired this one and it is priced way too cheap. Bob Jobes is there with a big display of decoys, the same as his dad Capt. Harry had, very nice and cool. Patrick Vincenti is there with a very nice display of vintage decoys, some priced close to 5 digits. Some vintage fishing tackle and Mil surplus that was referred to as old junk and old boots. Some gun junk, if you know anything you'll find some rare items. The guy in the corner had some Winchester 88 mags in 284, 358 and nib 308, if you know what they are then you know how scarce they are. I was contemplating buying a nice Winchester 88 carbine and someone beat me to it. As far as fewer table? there's more tables than they had last year in BelAir, and the tables were sold out. Half the tables were the same guys from BelAir and the other tables were new. Give the new location a chance till they work the kinks out. Already looking to add a few more tables for next year. I found much more old gunshow stuff there and bought more than I did at any Timonium show.
    Going back tomorrow with more $$.
    NO ATM, BRING CASH!

Fox Mike

Apr 24, 2010
    Havre de Grace
    I consider it was a total waste of time and gas getting there. I don't need high priced ammo, any decoys (already have lots of them), or knives. There probably wasn't 15 cartridge revolvers in the entire area.
    The old WW II display was the bright spot in the entire 'show'.

pre64hunter

Mar 19, 2010
    Harford County
    Lot of guns going out the door and bags of stuff. The dealer doing transfers was busy and happy. I saw some nice revolvers, a few old Colts, a guy had a nice Detective Special tucked away in a show case, several new S&W in 357, new Colt Cobra, several old Ruger 3 screws, one was 357 w/9mm spare cylinder. Colt and Ruger pistols, older Ruger 22 pistols and 3 screw single sixes. Beautiful Ruger rifles with full length stocks- 308 M77 , #1 in 7x57 and a 45-70 #1.
    A guy came through the door with a .22 Colt Bat Masterson Commemorative to sell! Another with a Winchester 52 Sporter $3500.
    One dealer Friday night brought in a bunch of tanned pelts (furs, fox, coyote, mink) I thought "no way"! He sold them all except a few as of closing! One man's trash, another's treasure? My buddy found a deal on a nice bamboo fly rod and a fly reel from a different guy. Good show depending what your interest is. Lot of reloading stuff, presses, bullets, dies, not too much brass.

chooks9

Bear with Arms
    Jan 3, 2013
    Abingdon
    Walked out with some decent priced 44 Magnum and .32 ACP ammo, so it wasn’t a total bust.

I like these smaller shows, but I fear that some vendors keeping shortage-level prices is going to hurt these shows overall. I saw prices all over the place, from okay to ludicrous.

I’ll be back next year for sure!

RegularJay

NRA & SAF Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 20, 2007
    Harford County
    Everyone is looking for something different at these shows so don't take anyone's word about if it was good or bad without considering the source. I loved the location - way better parking than at the Armory. Some folks want gun shows at highway rest stops I guess. I didn't buy anything but saw a very wide variety of stuff - old and new guns and accessories, yes - there were some decoys & fishing stuff too it was an Outdoorsman show not just a Gun show so that's to be expected.

SavageShooter

Jan 10, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    Yep I went Fri. evening. Had a good time bsing with people. Bought two boxes of bullets Hornady .223 55 gr. and Hornady .38/.357 125 gr. both premium bullets for $10 a box of 100 each. That is about half my online prices a good buy! Bought $20 worth of raffle tickets Harford Co, Marine Chapter. Bought and old carbide miners lamp for $10 that I've already got it looking much better it will be restored to working condition. On E-Bay one like this would be $50 or more. It was an old school outdoor show not just a gun show. I knew that ahead of time. You never know what you'll find at a show like this! It was for a good outfit also Issac Walton.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    I came in this morning to help MSI, and was grateful to find the table already set up and manned :bowdown: I started the day with a bad headache (that hasn't left me yet), so I know I wasn't going to fully appreciate the show :(. I did a quick tour before leaving, and it seemed about appropriate for a small local show like this. I probably could have bought something and been happy if I tried. Parking was a definite improvement. I wasn't really up to trying the food, but it looked pretty good.

I'm sure I gave out more MSI coloring books this morning than any other show. It was good to see families out.

Hopefully it was a success for all involved and will continue.

kingfish

Jan 15, 2008
    True, everyone looks for something different. I’m just let down because the Bel Air show was in the top 2 shows for me and I’ve been going for many years and found my best deals there, year after year. If they could bring in more vendors maybe this show will improve. It wasn’t a bad show, it was small with lots of “junk” like with a garage sale or fleamarket vibe it was small enough to say it wasn’t worth the drive

pre64hunter

Mar 19, 2010
    Harford County
    They admit the show could have been better and they can do better and it will be better next year. The chapter league president said this.
    We talked to all the vendors, many positives but much room for improvement.
    One important thing is the show reached its goal making enough money to fund their scholarship program and they appreciate everyone's contribution no matter the size.
    A major complaint was the food service, who would have thought?
    The parking was deceiving, a huge parking lot but we had to leave room for the fire trucks to turn around. At first we were told we could use the neighboring church lot but then we were told no. You could park along Federal Hill Rd though, nice wide shoulder.
    In transitioning from BelAir to the firehall took time and consideration and the decision was late. Advertising, contact information and contacting table holders was too little too late. It'll be better next year.
    ON A GOOD NOTE: there was some very unique and rare items to be found. Many of the vendors did well. The small crowd was pleasant and respectful and quite a few guns went out as well as bags of merchandise. A few rare and valuable guns for sale came through the door. I saw more "good stuff" at this show than the shows in Timonium, York, Harrisburg and Lebanon.
    We asked MDS members first for suggestions and comment and still welcome your input.
    Gunshows are taking a beating all around. With the political climate, shop dealers are doing well in their own stores. We need the little guy table holders with good stuff. The junk dealers will come and go if they are unsuccessful. Everybody grades a gunshow on their own terms. If they find the one thing they're searching for or find something they just had to have then it was a good show. I've seen folks come in, go to one or two tables, buy a gun or ammo and leave very happy. I've seen the same guy three days in a row trying to chisel a price and leave empty handed saying the show sucks.
    It's important to support shows like this and stop and talk to the MSI guys and dealers and give support to your own interests and guys like you, to make a stand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom