• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dreago

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2009
    I was looking to take my son out for cobia or something of a decent size in the near future. Any recommendations?

mpollan1

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 26, 2012
    Мэриленд
    Both out of Solomons I do believe:

Travis Long, Schooled up Charters. He does quite well on Cobia and Big Redfish. Tell him Dave Antos (that's my fishing buddy) sent you.

Walleye Pete, Four Seasons Charters. All around great guide. Currently catching some real nice Specs in the ES Islands.

jr88

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 7, 2011
    Free?? State
    Very good recommendations above, add Lee Tippett running FinFinder. Lee runs out of Solomons but specializes in Cobia out of Va. Beach....Great Captain

mpollan1

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 26, 2012
    Мэриленд
    IIRC ChrisD is upper bay. Not gonna get any Cobia or Bull Reds up there. OP, in my experience September is a funny time of year for the fishery transitioning from Summer to Fall. Reds, Macs, Cobia and Blues moving out but Fall Rockfish not in. Further south (Cape St. Charles?) you go the better IMO.

Redbone1

Mar 1, 2020
    Bayroamer charters out of Virginia Beach. He is a fishing fool. Have fished with him a fair amount and known him a long time. He is very accomplished at catching cobia, big reds, Spanish, spades, and a bunch of other fish. Specializes in cobia though. He won the east coast cobia championship a few years back with 70+ pounder. My biggest with him is 67 lbs. Good Captain and good guy.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    cobia, yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

been years, but use to live bait for them and king mack off the various obx and hatteras piers

jr88

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 7, 2011
    Free?? State
    Thanks for the recommendation, but I recently sold the boat. Going to be on the sideline for a few seasons.
    Sorry to hear this but it's rough being a Bay Captain now, regulation fears and $6 Diesel make it tough. Fishing is an addiction to many so I'm sure you will back out there in one form or another. Best of Luck. (Hope Greg Buckner didn't buy your boat ):)

ChrisD

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    Conowingo
    Sorry to hear this but it's rough being a Bay Captain now, regulation fears and $6 Diesel make it tough. Fishing is an addiction to many so I'm sure you will back out there in one form or another. Best of Luck. (Hope Greg Buckner didn't buy your boat ):)
    Yes it is getting tougher between fuel, the amount of people chasing an ever shrinking population of striped bass, and what we may be facing in 2023 all played in the decision. It is an addiction for sure. The fella that bought my boat (not Greg) is giving it a try running parties. I accepted a full time boat captain position for a contractor, not fishing though. I’ll probably get back into carrying parties in about 3 years. Right now, the time required for this job and charters was too much.
    To the OP, sorry for the derail. If you are looking for Cobia, Capt. Sam Gostis - Kathrines charters will be in Solomons later this summer.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    I do not recommend the S.S. Minnow unless you have a lot of time to kill.....

jr88

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 7, 2011
    Free?? State
    As mentioned Lee Tippet
    Lee Cobia.jpg

antco

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Calvert, MD
    …. To the OP, sorry for the derail. If you are looking for Cobia, Capt. Sam Gostis - Kathrines charters will be in Solomons later this summer.
    I’ll second the Katherines. I’m usually on Kat 2, but will be on Kat 1 next weekend going after some spot and other stuff with my staff from work.

Sam Gostis +1 (240) 676-1098

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom