• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • turbo86

MDS Supporter
    I have quite a bit of CFE223 and was thinking of working up some 6.5 Grendel loads with it. Has anyone had any success with CFE223 and if so, what combination(s) worked. I will be using virgin Lapua brass. I will be running them through my 18" Faxon barreled AR.

Coehorn

MDS Supporter
    Feb 26, 2024
    Baltimore County
    Online reloading data sites like Hodgdon will show loads for that powder if usable.

Only testing will tell you what works well in YOUR barrel as all barrels react differently to powder and bullet combinations.

Good luck with her.

turbo86

MDS Supporter
    Online reloading data sites like Hodgdon will show loads for that powder if usable.

Only testing will tell you what works well in YOUR barrel as all barrels react differently to powder and bullet combinations.
    Thanks, I understand that. I should have asked if anyone is happy with CFE223 in the 6.5 Grendel

Great velocity and accuracy, but dirty as hell. It trashes an AR BCG in short order.
    Good to know.

The YouTube Grendel reloading "gurus" seem to have CFE223 pretty far down on their list of accurate grouping powders. I didn't want to waste time and resources if the consensus was not to bother.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I used it for one range trip in 6.5 Grendel and gave the rest to @DaemonAssassin
    DANG IT! I would have happily taken it. I've got a bunch of fantastic loads for it in 6.5 grendel.

My favorite hunting load is 31.2gr of CFE223 underneath a Federal GD 120gr with a COAL of 2.272". Runs 2499fps out of my 20" Howa 1500 mini, CCI SRM primers. .72" 5-shot group average. 30.8gr at 2.260" runs 2471fps from the same gun and .91" 5-shot group. It runs 2504fps from my 18" AR (that 18" runs fast for its length for all loads) (and 1.06" 5-shot groups*).

123gr Hornady HPBT running the same charges, etc., etc., but CCI SR (rather than magnum) is close to identical velocities, but runs about 1" groups with my Howa and 1.2" with my 18" AR. Sierra 120s and the same load out (and CCI SR, only the fusion seem more accurate with SRM) run about .6" out of my Howa and .9" out of my AR.

I don't recall ES and SDs off the top of my head. The most accurate is slightly higher SD and ES than the lowest SD/SD charge rung. But splitting hairs, IIRC you are looking at around 10-14fps SD and 30fps or less ES for 10 rounds.

*Average of 2 5-shot groups. I don't have the time, components, and money to run bunches of 5 shot groups for really big statistically significant averages. But I try to do better than one 2 shot group and call it a day.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Of note, I haven't tried 8208XBR, only because the couple of times I have run across it, I could get one pound for about $60. No thanks. I have heard wonderous things about it.

CFE isn't particularly clean. Then again, I mostly run it in bolt guns. I don't find too much gunk in my bolt and chamber running it in my plink .223 loads.

turbo86

MDS Supporter
    My favorite hunting load is 31.2gr of CFE223 underneath a Federal GD 120gr with a COAL of 2.272". Runs 2499fps out of my 20" Howa 1500 mini, CCI SRM primers. .72" 5-shot group average. 30.8gr at 2.260" runs 2471fps from the same gun and .91" 5-shot group. It runs 2504fps from my 18" AR (that 18" runs fast for its length for all loads) (and 1.06" 5-shot groups*).

123gr Hornady HPBT running the same charges, etc., etc., but CCI SR (rather than magnum) is close to identical velocities, but runs about 1" groups with my Howa and 1.2" with my 18" AR. Sierra 120s and the same load out (and CCI SR, only the fusion seem more accurate with SRM) run about .6" out of my Howa and .9" out of my AR.
    Interesting, thanks.

Of note, I haven't tried 8208XBR, only because the couple of times I have run across it, I could get one pound for about $60. No thanks. I have heard wonderous things about it.

My 6.5 Grendel experience with 8208XBR is mixed.

CFE isn't particularly clean. Then again, I mostly run it in bolt guns. I don't find too much gunk in my bolt and chamber running it in my plink .223 loads.

Good to know. I just loaded a bunch of .223 w/ CFE223 for my Ruger Predator.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Interesting, thanks.

My 6.5 Grendel experience with 8208XBR is mixed.

Good to know. I just loaded a bunch of .223 w/ CFE223 for my Ruger Predator.
    I like it in my .223 also. Heck, I like it in my .308 even. My "generic" 150gr Hornady 150gr FMJBT loads (no clue the exact specs) run fast and accurate. I am running a little over MOA on my Sako Forester and about 1.4" for my 18" AR-10.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Noha

Latest threads

Top Bottom