• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    Is there any kind of coverage you can get with your normal insurance company? For example, I have ERIE. Is there some enhanced personal policy I can get that covers W&C?

emerald

Ultimate Member
    Apr 25, 2015
    What you may want to look at is an umbrella policy that covers you for civil liability. Do something like CCW Safe for the criminal liability, and then umbrella from your primary carrier for the civil side. It will cover more than just getting sued for defensive use too.

sckno3

patience is a virtue
    May 7, 2013
    Unlikely that you'll ever have to fight to retain your weapon with someone grabbing for it, but you don't put a $500 pistol in a $100 holster on a $12 belt.
    true, but i do put the $350 pistol in the $35 holster on the $18 belt.

and i've been with uscca for years, and contacted them with loads of questions and gotten good answers every time.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    true, but i do put the $350 pistol in the $35 holster on the $18 belt.

and i've been with uscca for years, and contacted them with loads of questions and gotten good answers every time.
    Any company will answer questions for their members.

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Is there any kind of coverage you can get with your normal insurance company? For example, I have ERIE. Is there some enhanced personal policy I can get that covers W&C?

*****I also have Erie.

That covers W&C not that I am aware of, but yes for defense in your home. Below is a pic from my homeowners policy, from perhaps 2 years ago - some of the numbers below have been bumped up since then for more coverage.

It covers a bunch of other stuff but does have some coverage for criminal defense cost (attorney fees, etc..) reimbursement for defense of persons or property, and is apparently valid anywhere and not just in my home, but speak with your broker to make sure if it is a concern. It comes at a slight additional cost as a rider along with a bunch of other more likely things that could happen like underground service line coverage, sewer backups, or lightning strikes or power surge burning out very expensive lab and other equipment I have here in my home for my work, plus my racing bikes, and other other hobby stuff I pay a bit extra to have insured specifically after having been appraised, etc...

I have a separate policy, an Umbrella Policy that kicks in if I am sued over a defensive shoot, etc.. but I don't believe it specifically mentions W&C, it is just a general Umbrella Policy for the maximum Erie would give me (I think $5 million or so). The Umbrella policy is for civil liability.

Call your broker and ask I guess. Erie has been phenomenal to me in terms of reimbursements and getting insurance claims taken care of immediately.

IMG_7134.jpg

Magerko

Nov 24, 2022
    Baltimore County
    I wouldn't carry either inside or outside of the house without having insurance. For me, I went with CCW's Ultimate plan, it's the most expensive but has the most coverage. Also added the wife even though she doesn't have an HQL, just in case.

racer79

n00b
    Jan 24, 2013
    Northern MD
    Those who are EBMD, how do you view your insurance in that light?

Hypothetically, after OCT 1, you are at a place where SB1 forbids and have to use deadly force. Most, if not all insurance would be able to bail on you for carrying against the law.

"CCW Safe only provides services when a Recognized Self-Defense Use of Force Incident occurs at a location in which you are lawfully allowed to be present and allowed to possess a firearm which you are legally entitled to possess, and are lawfully acting in self-defense."

I certainly agree with the sentiment of EBMD, but practically, how does insurance factor in if you're SB1'd out of coverage?

Wouldn't money be better spent on something like lawyers on retainer?

Would MSI defend you if you're SB1'd?

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Those who are EBMD, how do you view your insurance in that light?

Hypothetically, after OCT 1, you are at a place where SB1 forbids and have to use deadly force. Most, if not all insurance would be able to bail on you for carrying against the law.

"CCW Safe only provides services when a Recognized Self-Defense Use of Force Incident occurs at a location in which you are lawfully allowed to be present and allowed to possess a firearm which you are legally entitled to possess, and are lawfully acting in self-defense."

I certainly agree with the sentiment of EBMD, but practically, how does insurance factor in if you're SB1'd out of coverage?

Wouldn't money be better spent on something like lawyers on retainer?

Would MSI defend you if you're SB1'd?
    You can get an attorney on retainer for 35 dollars a month?
    Insurance covers you at home as well. You are more likely to have an incident at the house I would think. Also, people do travel out of state. Not every state has "sensitive zones".

River02

One Ping Only...
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2015
    Mid-Maryland
    What you may want to look at is an umbrella policy that covers you for civil liability. Do something like CCW Safe for the criminal liability, and then umbrella from your primary carrier for the civil side. It will cover more than just getting sued for defensive use too.
    Yes-- I cut my CCWSafe ins. cost by almost half this year (from Ultimate to Protector -wife included) and upped my Umbrella coverage w/USAA to more than make up the difference in Civil Liability coverage (again at half the cost of CCWSafe--and it covers more than just self defense liability).

Last edited:

Sunrise

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2020
    Capital Region
    I have the Gold Membership Plan with USCCA for my CCW insurance.
    I also have Umbrella Liability Coverage and Personal Articles Insurance for my firearms.

racer79

n00b
    Jan 24, 2013
    Northern MD
    CCWsafe is a retainer for an attorney
    Only if you are not outside their limits. That's the point of my post. If one is to carry everywhere but metal detectors and gets in an incident in an area now outlawed by SB1, CCWsafe has every legal right to not cover you or represent you. I quoted from their terms of service. The state will surely press criminal charges against you, regardless of what Waldstreicher said on the Senate floor.

Does umbrella insurance cover legal costs if one is to carry and have an incident somewhere outlawed by SB1? That would be a criminal case, not civil, right?

I've seen Attorneys for Freedom www.attorneysforfreedom.com while researching USCCA, CCWsafe, etc. While they are not insurance, they will represent you if an incident happens if you are carrying "illegally." CCWSafe may not represent you if you are carrying "illegally." They can drop you like fresh frosh in the toilet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom