• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigWilly

oK, nOw WhAt ?
    Mar 23, 2011
    Dundalk
    Since I work from home and now have have all my gear, I started carrying yesterday. 16 hours and it was still comfortable right before I took everything off.
    Now this morning, no matter where I move the mag carrier, I can't get it comfortable. My wife is the opposite of me, which for balance is good, as I'm a pack rat and she tosses everything under the sun

I have 1 undershirt that I wore yesterday and today I'm in just a tshirt and cargo shorts. My setup consists of a Kore belt, Aliengear cloak tuck 3.5 for my P365XL SpectreComp, cloak tuck single magazine holster, and my Galaxy Note 20 Ultra in an Otterbox holster.

My gun is sitting at about 4pm, the mag holder at 730pm, and phone holster at 1030pm.

The pistol has aggressive stippling on the handle so I can tell an undershirt is goning to mandatory to prevent chafing. But my issue is the mag holder is not comfortable like it was yesterday. It's not digging into me but more like a discomfort. I tried moving it from 7-9 and it doesn't seem to make a difference. I feel like the pistol holster is comfortable but the maybe the mag carrier added to IWB are maybe too much for the shorts I'm wearing and I need to go up a size.

How do y’all carry a spare mag? Any tips for working on getting everything as comfortable as possible?

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

ADR

Ultimate Member
    Aug 17, 2011
    Off duty - 1 spare mag indexed in a pocket weak side. (Typically wearing cargo shorts/pants that have the small mag sized pocket) If I feel like I need a second spare mag someplace off duty I typically don't go there.

IMO people overthink and overcomplicate this. New officers are the same way and are frequently known as Gear Queers because of it. (They eventually get over it with some experience in reality.) About the only thing I do in excess of the basics I carry is always having one full box of ammo in the vehicle.

Not trying to be offensive, just providing my perspective.

Burt Hammersmith

Dumpster Fire
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 20, 2015
    Appendix to the left of my belly button. G43 or G19 with the mag pouch linked to my holster. Running Bravo concealment holsters and Kore x7 gun belt They have been working well. I’m good up from 6am till about 7PM after dinner I can tell I have a gun countering by full belly.

Mar 3, 2021
    same problem with gun and mag. i found a holster that is a little further away from my body with the double belt ido system. Next weekend is the chantilly gun show (nations gun show} so i will explore other options there. im thinking of a mag holder that goes sideways instead of hanging down.

BigWilly

oK, nOw WhAt ?
    Mar 23, 2011
    Dundalk
    same problem with gun and mag. i found a holster that is a little further away from my body with the double belt ido system. Next weekend is the chantilly gun show (nations gun show} so i will explore other options there. im thinking of a mag holder that goes sideways instead of hanging down.
    I just saw a post about the magholder and I like the idea of a horizontal postion for it. It's $25 and seems well built. I think I may give that a go.

BigWilly

oK, nOw WhAt ?
    Mar 23, 2011
    Dundalk
    Off duty - 1 spare mag indexed in a pocket weak side. (Typically wearing cargo shorts/pants that have the small mag sized pocket) If I feel like I need a second spare mag someplace off duty I typically don't go there.

IMO people overthink and overcomplicate this. New officers are the same way and are frequently known as Gear Queers because of it. (They eventually get over it with some experience in reality.) About the only thing I do in excess of the basics I carry is always having one full box of ammo in the vehicle.

Not trying to be offensive, just providing my perspective.
    I'm sure I'm overthinking it and want to lock in my EDC as I'm a creature of habit. I'm also sure that I don't know what I don't know and hope this thread will be used by veteran CCW to share little tidbits that they found through trials so us newbies can avoid the don't's and maybe add the do's.

ADR

Ultimate Member
    Aug 17, 2011
    I'm sure I'm overthinking it and want to lock in my EDC as I'm a creature of habit. I'm also sure that I don't know what I don't know and hope this thread will be used by veteran CCW to share little tidbits that they found through trials so us newbies can avoid the don't's and maybe add the do's.

You'll find your happy place and that may be 100% different from what I or anyone else tells you. Ultimately the important thing is does it work for you and is it effective.

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    I probably compromise too much.
    I still think the key is your belt. The right amount of stiffness, width and adjustability.
    I've shrunk what I carry over the years. Most often it's PPS M2 (really thin pistol) 8 rounds and no spare mag. A thin kydex iwb with a big 1.5 inch belt clip. Going to go even a little smaller with P365.
    Used to use alien gear with G19. Just felt like it was taking up too much real estate at my waist.

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    I probably compromise too much.
    I still think the key is your belt. The right amount of stiffness, width and adjustability.
    I've shrunk what I carry over the years. Most often it's PPS M2 (really thin pistol) 8 rounds and no spare mag. A thin kydex iwb with a big 1.5 inch belt clip. Going to go even a little smaller with P365.
    Used to use alien gear with G19. Just felt like it was taking up too much real estate at my waist.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    It's never comfortable. And a spare mag is double never comfortable.

And now with these hybrid holsters (Crossbreeds and the like) people are just stuffing more crap into their waistband. All that extra padding adds up to more inches of belt line and more contact point touching more of your body.
    Now, people may be starting to wear t shirts under their shirts when they have never usually worn t shirts under their shirts. All in the name of trying to be more comfortable. Those t shirts wrinkle and fold over on themselves, cause another rough edge to press against your skin.
    The more in IWB means there are more pressure and pinch points to hit more parts of your body.
    And for everything to work properly and effectively, your belt needs to be cinched down, to keep all that stuff from moving around, sliding against your body, causing hot points.
    Just get 1 decent brand IWB holster, no leather/kydex hybrid thing. That 1 holster just hits that 1 pressure point on your body. That 2 or 3 O'clock position, that's it.

The only key to comfort is having a Kore or Nexbelt ratchet belt. Those 1/4 inch adjustments you can make on the fly are a game changer for "comfort". 1 or 2 clicks loose when we sit down, and then a simple push together tightening adjustment when we stand up to hold everything together taught, like it should be.

Now to address the spare mag. It's getting cooler, so toss one in your coat/vest pocket.
    That cloak tuck is an IWB thing too. Creating another direct to skin hot point. Regardless of the padding. When you stick something inside your belt, you create a gap on both forward and behind that thing. More space that keeps the belt from doing it's job, by being flat against the body, providing support.
    So now the belt is putting direct pressure on the front of that mag holder, pushing the body side of the mag holder into your body, creating a pressure point. Belts need to have as much "flatness"? against as much of the body as possible.
    Less gaps between the belt and body the better.
    An OWB mag holder is best to me. There is no gap created and they are more easily adjustable if you have to slide it forward or back to find a "comfort point". And they tip out and back as your body pushes from behind, giving with your body instead of fighting it.

Stippling on your grip. 2 things, either get used to it, or wrap the grip with some Goon tape/hockey tape. It may seem counterintuitive, but that stippling isn't going to mean a hill of beans in the long run.
    The t shirt idea to prevent rub, to me, can be a major fail. Nothing like getting a thumb full of t shirt, instead of grip during an emergency draw.
    Now just a little joke, why haven't you been carrying your cell phone IWB also? :)

I think you are going to find that printing is not as big an issue as we or these companies(who profit off our teeny paranoia)think it is.
    So this has been my experience and hopefully those are a few points to think about.

A couple years and a drawer full of holsters that you'll never use, later, and you'll find your right place.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    As per the stock grips sandpapering exposed skin, I added Talon black rubber grips to my Sig. Made a world of difference.

https://talongungrips.com/gun-grips/pistol-grips/sig-sauer/p365/
    Not I am carrying. Yet. But I put those on my G19 since I plan to carry it. And yeah, they feel pretty comfortable just around the house. I have the sanded grips on my other Glocks, because those are all full size and would only ever by carried in an OWB holster if ever carried.

BigWilly

oK, nOw WhAt ?
    Mar 23, 2011
    Dundalk

And now with these hybrid holsters (Crossbreeds and the like) people are just stuffing more crap into their waistband. All that extra padding adds up to more inches of belt line and more contact point touching more of your body.
    Now, people may be starting to wear t shirts under their shirts when they have never usually worn t shirts under their shirts. All in the name of trying to be more comfortable. Those t shirts wrinkle and fold over on themselves, cause another rough edge to press against your skin.
    The more in IWB means there are more pressure and pinch points to hit more parts of your body.
    And for everything to work properly and effectively, your belt needs to be cinched down, to keep all that stuff from moving around, sliding against your body, causing hot points.
    Just get 1 decent brand IWB holster, no leather/kydex hybrid thing. That 1 holster just hits that 1 pressure point on your body. That 2 or 3 O'clock position, that's it.

The only key to comfort is having a Kore or Nexbelt ratchet belt. Those 1/4 inch adjustments you can make on the fly are a game changer for "comfort". 1 or 2 clicks loose when we sit down, and then a simple push together tightening adjustment when we stand up to hold everything together taught, like it should be.

Now to address the spare mag. It's getting cooler, so toss one in your coat/vest pocket.
    That cloak tuck is an IWB thing too. Creating another direct to skin hot point. Regardless of the padding. When you stick something inside your belt, you create a gap on both forward and behind that thing. More space that keeps the belt from doing it's job, by being flat against the body, providing support.
    So now the belt is putting direct pressure on the front of that mag holder, pushing the body side of the mag holder into your body, creating a pressure point. Belts need to have as much "flatness"? against as much of the body as possible.
    An OWB mag holder is best to me. There is no gap created and they are more easily adjustable if you have to slide it forward or back to find a "comfort point". And they tip out and back as your body pushes from behind, giving with your body instead of fighting it.

Stippling on your grip. 2 things, either get used to it, or wrap the grip with some Goon tape/hockey tape. It may seem counterintuitive, but that stippling isn't going to mean a hill of beans in the long run.
    The t shirt idea to prevent rub, to me, can be a major fail. Nothing like getting a thumb full of t shirt, instead of grip during an emergency draw.
    Now just a little joke, why haven't you been carrying your cell phone IWB also? :)

I think you are going to find that printing is not as big an issue as we or these companies(who profit off our teeny paranoia)think it is.
    So this has been my experience and hopefully those are a few points to think about.

A couple years and a drawer full of holsters that you'll never use, later, and you'll find your right place.
    Thanks, you definitely gave some excellent points. I'm going to order the magholder as was mentioned earlier. I didn't think about the undershirt possibly creating a draw issue so I need to pay attention while practicing to see if it will be an issue for me.

I went with the Aliengear cloak tuck 3.5 because I was thinking with it being wider it would spread out the weight more and thus be more comfortable but again I didn't think about there being multiple contact points. I definitely am keeping my Kore belt tight and having the ratcheting mechanism for minute adjustments is great. I'm glad I got this style belt.
    I think I'll look into getting a holster kinda like a Vedder light tuck to see how that feels.

When I said I don't know what I don't know, this is exactly like the info I was hoping to get. I understand everyone is different and not everything will work across the board but there info and points that I have not even thought about so please keep em coming.

Here's one I've searched but didn't find anything really on:
    How do you handle going number 2 with a IWB? Do you do anything different in a public bathroom vs when you're at home?

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Here's one I've searched but didn't find anything really on:
    How do you handle going number 2 with a IWB? Do you do anything different in a public bathroom vs when you're at home?

Well, when I am home, I don't carry so it's a non issue.
    Typically I just set the holster on the TP holder. If it's a flat one of course. The big round ones, you can't. However, the support rail on the stall next to you, depending on the space between the grab handle and the wall itself, the holster may fit down in between without sliding down through.
    One of the best bets is to just take the holster and drop it in your pants down in front of you. This way you are sure to not leave it behind.
    Now, one caveat about laying it on top of the flat TP dispenser, pay attention because if someone goes into the other stall and slams the door, it may make the pistol fall. Some stall walls can be pretty wobbly.

If wearing an OWB holster, and if the floor isn't all pissed on, I leave the gun in the holster and let it lay on the floor with my pants.
    But choose the end stall that is next to the wall, on the side you are carrying. That way there is no one next to you on your gun side who can glance down as he is sitting and see your pistola laying there under the stall wall.
    The seating is far back enough that no one would see it simply from the stall door. They'd have to be damn near kneeling and looking under to see it there.

Ones I prefer are the handicap/family stalls that have the sink and everything in there. Because I will take my holster or gun out of my OWB and set it right in the sink. I started doing this on planes when I would have to. I know I would be washing my hands, so I wouldn't leave the pistol behind. Plus the Lav floors in planes are disgusting.

Jake4U

Now with 67% more FJB
    Sep 1, 2018

When wearing a sport coat, a shoulder holster is the most comfortable for me, added benefit it doesn't pull my pants to my ankles when loosening the belt. And I agree with a leather OWB under anything else, on a rachet belt. Only pocket carry is a Seecamp when I want to carry something, but can't print at all and it's summer.

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    I have found that large frame guns are always uncomfortable to wear especially a tuck away made from stuff other than leather. I have tried several holsters with no luck. So I started carring small frame pistols both in 40 caliber. A couple years ago I was gifted a complete leather makers outfit. I eneded up making my own holsters. One is a pocket holster, a tuck behing, a shoulder rig and an outside belt rig. So depending what I wear I am covered fron T-shits to vests. Most of the time I do not even realize I an carring.

IronEye

MDS Supporter
    Feb 10, 2018
    Howard County
    When carrying on the belt what you find comfortable is going to vary with your body shape. A curvy woman (or man), someone that is tall and thin, a muffin top and someone with an overhanging belly are not going to be served well by the same gear.
    Since the OP is nicknamed BigWilly and I am a skinny guy that has a small, uh, nevermind, what works for me might not work for you.

Edwonbass

Jan 28, 2021
    Union Mills, MD
    I have a cheap Amazon Kydex IWB holster arriving today. I also bought a stiff belt to replace an aging leather belt. I will start messing around this afternoon to see what is most comfortable. I didn’t want to dump too much on my first holster. If I can’t get along with IWB, I might give OWB a go since we are moving into jacket weather.
    Of course my permit hasn’t even reached NICS status yet so I got time to figure it out. I really do want IWB to work out since it will be more useful year round.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SrAIC

Latest threads

Top Bottom