Caution - Mini-AFCK loose on the streets!

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    As the title states, there's a Benchmade Mini-AFCK loose on the streets, somewhere in Waldorf, MD.

I went to HD a couple of days ago, to pick up some stuff, and as I was walking to the car, when I took my keys out of my pocket, I must've gotten my knife caught in the keyring.

I didn't notice that the knife was missing, until I got home and started emptying my pockets.

I hurried back to HD, knowing full well, that I would not find that knife.

I've carried that knife for over 10 years, and now it's gone.

In that time, that knife has cut ONE thing. MY finger!!!!

Now, I am searching for a replacement, for this magnificent knife.

_ _ _ _. I hate losing something. I'd rather throw it into a river, than lose it.

Anyone have a suggestion for a replacment for this now discontinued knife?????
    I'm not 'into' tanto blades (even though I'm carrying one right now), or unconventional shaped knives.

Last edited:

NickZac

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    Benchmade has made numerous AFCK runs using both the AXIS lock and the liner lock. I only know of one recent mini-AFCK run and it was with a liner lock and D2 tool steel. The problem is all of the AFCK lines are highly coveted and they fetch a high price tag.

The 806D2 AFCK AXIS has seen on-and-off production, but it is full-sized. I got mine for around $100 used. There have been numerous 806 sprint runs using G10 and carbon fiber as a handle material, and S30V, D2, CPM-M4, and other steels.

There are a few different generations mini-AFCKs from previously using ATS-34, 154CM, and M2 steels. You can sometimes find them for a good price on BladeForums and even eBay or local Benchmade dealers that have been selling for years and have new-old stock.

Benchmade also makes a Gold Class Mini-AFCK...but price is high and they are hard to find
    http://www.benchmade.com/products/812-101

As for other possibilities in the 3-ish inch size with a liner lock or frame lock, there are tons of options...Benchmade does not have a lot of offerings as most are using their AXIS (which is a great lock). Benchmade's Pika and Accent lines are similar in blade shape, but are not on the level of the m-AFCK. Spyderco's Sage line are exceptional knives with a few different options. Kershaw makes a few knives using auto assist such as the Leek series. Chris Reeve makes the Sebenza 21, which is widely considered to be the benchmark of folding knives (but $$$$). At slightly larger size, the Zero Tolerance 0550 and Spyderco Paramilitary offer good value and incredibly tough items. If you go to AXIS, the Mini Griptilian....especially the Ritter and CPM-M4 variants, are great performers. The Griptilian line are IMO one of the best values on the market. Benchmade makes a variety of Blue-Class AXIS-models which are great knives...and Spyderco makes many different styles with various blade shapes and various locking mechanisms.

ColonelHurtz

A pile of little arms.
    Nov 13, 2008
    So sorry, bro.
    That is a very desirable and hard to find model.
    You'll pay dearly for a replacement.

I own three AFCK's but never bothered to get a mini back in the day.
    When I recently went looking for one I was astounded at how collectable and valuable they have become.

byf43

Benchmade has made numerous AFCK runs using both the AXIS lock and the liner lock. I only know of one recent mini-AFCK run and it was with a liner lock and D2 tool steel. The problem is all of the AFCK lines are highly coveted and they fetch a high price tag.

The 806D2 AFCK AXIS has seen on-and-off production, but it is full-sized. I got mine for around $100 used. There have been numerous 806 sprint runs using G10 and carbon fiber as a handle material, and S30V, D2, CPM-M4, and other steels.

There are a few different generations mini-AFCKs from previously using ATS-34, 154CM, and M2 steels. You can sometimes find them for a good price on BladeForums and even eBay or local Benchmade dealers that have been selling for years and have new-old stock.

Benchmade also makes a Gold Class Mini-AFCK...but price is high and they are hard to find
    http://www.benchmade.com/products/812-101

As for other possibilities in the 3-ish inch size with a liner lock or frame lock, there are tons of options...Benchmade does not have a lot of offerings as most are using their AXIS (which is a great lock). Benchmade's Pika and Accent lines are similar in blade shape, but are not on the level of the m-AFCK. Spyderco's Sage line are exceptional knives with a few different options. Kershaw makes a few knives using auto assist such as the Leek series. Chris Reeve makes the Sebenza 21, which is widely considered to be the benchmark of folding knives (but $$$$). At slightly larger size, the Zero Tolerance 0550 and Spyderco Paramilitary offer good value and incredibly tough items. If you go to AXIS, the Mini Griptilian....especially the Ritter and CPM-M4 variants, are great performers. The Griptilian line are IMO one of the best values on the market. Benchmade makes a variety of Blue-Class AXIS-models which are great knives...and Spyderco makes many different styles with various blade shapes and various locking mechanisms.

Thanks!!!

I've been looking at the 556SBK Griptilian.

I got a pretty good deal on some Pika II a while back, so, I bought 3, and gifted one of them.
    I also got a Pika II T (titanium).
    The Pika II that I got, has some issues with the screws/clip coming off.
    (Need to call Benchmade and get some replacement screws/clips.)

I also have a couple of the "Eclipse" Benchmade knives, too, unless my son helped himself to 'em. (Cheaper version of the Mini-AFCK, or very close to it.)

I just fell in love with that Mini-AFCK when I saw it.

One of the guys at my sportsman's club, showed me a Zero Tolerance knife, last night. (Didn't write down the model number, like a dummy!)
    I really like that, too, but, the one he has is just a little big for me, carrying everyday.

I just looked at the Mini-AFCK (812-101)!!!! Wow!!!!!!! Gorgeous!!!!!!!!! I want it!!!!!!! (I do like the AXIS lock better, though, so, I guess I'll pass on that one...... ahem... cough.... cough.) :)

Again, I HATE to lose that knife!!!!

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I'd personally look at either the Spyderco Delica or the Endura, but that's me and I'm an admitted fanboy. I did receive a Spyderco Centofante as a birthday present. It's a little different than my usual knives, but very well made and sharp as anything.

byf43

I can't say anything bad about the 556S mini-grip that's been my EDC for a few years now. Good value and just the right size for me.

If I lose my Mini-Grip, I'll get another. I'm a lefty and the AXIS lock is better than sliced bread for me.

I like the look of that, and MAY wind up with one. :shrug:

I'd personally look at either the Spyderco Delica or the Endura, but that's me and I'm an admitted fanboy. I did receive a Spyderco Centofante as a birthday present. It's a little different than my usual knives, but very well made and sharp as anything.

I'm likin' that!!!!!!!!! Nice looking and I like the blade shape.
    I might have to find one and actually 'hold' it, to see how it feels.

NickZac

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    Thanks!!!

I've been looking at the 556SBK Griptilian.

I got a pretty good deal on some Pika II a while back, so, I bought 3, and gifted one of them.
    I also got a Pika II T (titanium).
    The Pika II that I got, has some issues with the screws/clip coming off.
    (Need to call Benchmade and get some replacement screws/clips.)

I also have a couple of the "Eclipse" Benchmade knives, too, unless my son helped himself to 'em. (Cheaper version of the Mini-AFCK, or very close to it.)

I just fell in love with that Mini-AFCK when I saw it.

One of the guys at my sportsman's club, showed me a Zero Tolerance knife, last night. (Didn't write down the model number, like a dummy!)
    I really like that, too, but, the one he has is just a little big for me, carrying everyday.

I just looked at the Mini-AFCK (812-101)!!!! Wow!!!!!!! Gorgeous!!!!!!!!! I want it!!!!!!! (I do like the AXIS lock better, though, so, I guess I'll pass on that one...... ahem... cough.... cough.) :)

Again, I HATE to lose that knife!!!!

Benchmade's Gold Class knives are incredibly nice.

There is currently a Mini Grip in CPM-M4 which is bad ass steel...it's edge retention is one of the best of all steels used on knives today, and it is very tough and surprisingly not too bad to sharpen given how hard it is.
    http://www.gpknives.com/bm556minigripcerakotem4limited.html
    You can often find them for $100-125 brand new.

Some people also prefer the Ritter Griptilian to the standard Grip...it is currently made in S30V and M4 blade steel and the blade shape is a good bit beefier than the other Griptilians...the grind on the blade is also really nice as it is built around the concept of it being a, "survival knife".
    http://www.knifeworks.com/dougritterrsk.aspx

ZT Knives are big...the 0550 is currently the smallest but it is still a huge knife. They are incredibly beefy knives and they can withstand abuse that would destroy most folders. Like Chris Reeves, their lock design allows the knives to be detailed stripped to every individual part, cleaned, lubed, and put back together faster than the time it takes to go poopy, and without voiding the warranty and without the knife developing play over time.

Spyderco's Paramilitary 2 is also a really sweet knife. It's extremely ergonomic, the flat-ground leaf blade can perform many tasks, the blade and handles are the finest materials used today, and the compression lock on it is extremely easy to use and, pound-for-pound, it is probably the strongest locking mechanism used on a folder to date.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    I'll second the vote for a Paramilitary. It has an excellent lock, and it's very light. Not flimsy, but lightened where it makes sense. So a good sized blade, and great steel, in a lighter package.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom