carrying with a W $C permit in a vehicle but not actually on you.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    I discourage off body carry, like in a purse or car mounted holster.

It is your duty as a firearm owner to ensure retention and prevent unauthorized access to your firearm. There are too many news stories about deaths and injuries related to off body carry.
    The 2 causes of firearms accidents/negligence are carelessness and ignorance. Off body carry is careless, or lends itself to carelessness.
    Thank you

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    The appearance of an upholstered handgun may be considered brandishing in some states.

But Maryland does not have a brandishing law.

Gun safety dictates the trigger be protected on a loaded handgun, right?

I would not pocket carry an unprotected handgun (illegal in some states).

I would not allow a loaded handgun without a holster to appear either, but not illegal with W&C.

IANAL
    The mere appearance/exposure of a firearm, or other weapon is NOT “brandishing”.
    1422F6E0-9B5B-411B-8DBB-2583690C8B86.jpeg

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    ^this.

Your car is not a holster. The gun belongs on you, legalities aside.

I've made numerous 9+ hour drives while carrying without comfort issues.

Fiddling with your gun in the car opens up the possibility of shooting yourself, someone else, your car, etc. You can also be spotted by a Karen and have LE introduced into your day, unnecessarily complicating your life. The gun can also be forgotten in the car. This can be when you need it most (pumping gas?) or be stolen by thieves. Finally, it can become a projectile inside your car in the event of a crash.
    Most assuredly this ^^^

Especially the last line. As seen tragically in a very famous FBI shoot out in Florida many years ago.

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    May be Weathertech will now start making cup holders with holsters, now that's the ticket.
    s-l500.jpg

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    Definitely digging the cup holder holster option if I can find one that's going to reliably stay put when needed. Ideally I'd like to never come up with a fist full of gun/holster should the need arise in the vehicle.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Why would I keep my gun at 4 O’Clock when I might need it when I’m driving? Could be a rolling shoot-out. Don’t tell me it can’t happen! I know my rights!!!

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Most assuredly this ^^^

Especially the last line. As seen tragically in a very famous FBI shoot out in Florida many years ago.
    Yes a relatively minor vehicle impact and the FBI agent could not reach his handgun that had been sitting on the car seat within easy reach.

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    Yes a relatively minor vehicle impact and the FBI agent could not reach his handgun that had been sitting on the car seat within easy reach.
    It actually happened to TWO of the agents in that incident. The result was that one agent ended up totally unarmed and the other armed only with a 2 inch backup revolver worn on his ankle.

I spent Saturday AM shooting with one of my mentors, a guy who made his living fighting from vehicles (usually soft-skinned, low-viz). He agreed with all the arguments against this practice that I made upthread. If anyone had a reason to keep a handgun "out" for ready access, he did. Yet his stayed holstered. He even told me of an incident when an OGA member had a ND in the backseat of his Landrover while fiddling with his handgun (through the floor). He stopped the vehicle and had the OGA guy get out and check underneath to make sure nothing was leaking/damaged. When the guy assured my friend they were good to go, my friend floored the gas pedal in a high-schoolish moment that had the guy sprinting to catch up. He eventually stopped and told him if he f***s around again, he's getting left in the desert. The gun stayed holstered from then on.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    It actually happened to TWO of the agents in that incident. The result was that one agent ended up totally unarmed and the other armed only with a 2 inch backup revolver worn on his ankle.

I spent Saturday AM shooting with one of my mentors, a guy who made his living fighting from vehicles (usually soft-skinned, low-viz). He agreed with all the arguments against this practice that I made upthread. If anyone had a reason to keep a handgun "out" for ready access, he did. Yet his stayed holstered. He even told me of an incident when an OGA member had a ND in the backseat of his Landrover while fiddling with his handgun (through the floor). He stopped the vehicle and had the OGA guy get out and check underneath to make sure nothing was leaking/damaged. When the guy assured my friend they were good to go, my friend floored the gas pedal in a high-schoolish moment that had the guy sprinting to catch up. He eventually stopped and told him if he f***s around again, he's getting left in the desert. The gun stayed holstered from then on.
    Yeah. But are you doing the job now that they were doing then? Nope.
    I was just visiting with one of my mentors last week, and he was just the opposite. Pistols under the thigh in order to handle threats at checkpoints. Right through the door. Just like a co worker of mine did when he unzipped an armed car jacker when he was sitting in a parking lot.
    See how that works?
    People shouldn't be pulling guns out of holsters inside the car. I'll do it when going into the city in case I hit a "squeegee checkpoint". But you go ahead and keep yours tucked safely and securely in your pants. You see, we are individuals capable of our own choices.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I'm no where near as trained as Blaster is with carrying handguns, yet I do many of the same things he does or suggests with handgun carry.

Regardless of what people argue, carrying on your body or unloaded/ locked in a safe in your home are NOT the only options for a handgun.

I will carry off body when it suits me. I will remove my holstered handgun and have it within reach when it suits me. I will lock my weapon up in my vehicle when I'm legally forced to do so.

Want people to stop putting/leaving guns in their vehicle? Stop making places off limits for carry.

Been carrying a gun for a long time and the sky is falling fools lead you to believe if you don't follow their advice you will break some non existent law or have your gun stolen.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    The most important thing in a gunfight is to bring a gun. If you can’t access in time, you didn’t bring it.

JollyPedro

Aug 15, 2022
    St Mary's County
    Why not carry 2 guns?? Keep one on you, at all times, and keep the other in the console, between the seat and console, etc....And if you leave your car/truck, lock the car gun in a safe....

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom