carrying with a W $C permit in a vehicle but not actually on you.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    It wasn't in the garbage, it was on the garbage.

Soooo much BGOS

eclair.jpg

camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021
    I see threads like this and I wonder if instructors are saying "do not do this" because it's unsafe and people are hearing "do not do this" because it's illegal.

I generally agree driving around with an unholstered firearm in a vehicle is unsafe. but it's not illegal.

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    I try very hard to differentiate between what is Law, what is accepted practice, and what is my personal opinion. And when it comes to opinion I give my rationale.

The rules for safe gun handling (accepted practice), are all ALWAYS/NEVER, not sometimes/except.

Sarcasm on
    Never point a firearm at something you don't intend to destroy, except when pointing out the passenger side in your glove box full of pens. Always keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction, except when facing rearward in your center console. Always protect your firearm from unauthorized access unless sometimes you set your purse down.
    Sarcasm off

These rules exist for a reason, and if followed strictly would prevent every accident. Every accident or negligent occurrence has identifiable breeches of the safety protocols.

Yall do yall. I have to preach knowledge, skills, and attitude.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    MSP should rethink their training requirements to include a section on transport and several other commonly asked questions. If there is no law, they should state such. The idea of “it depends on the officer” is ridiculous. No citizen should be subjected to the whim or opinion of another person and as a result be subjected to legal action.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    The appearance of an upholstered handgun may be considered brandishing in some states.

But Maryland does not have a brandishing law.

Gun safety dictates the trigger be protected on a loaded handgun, right?

I would not pocket carry an unprotected handgun (illegal in some states).

I would not allow a loaded handgun without a holster to appear either, but not illegal with W&C.

IANAL
    Why does this even have to be mentioned then?

This is why people confuse crap.

AKbythebay

Ultimate Member
    Additionally, the number 1 source of stolen firearms is theft from vehicles.

And imagine how common this is going to become in Maryland when the GA passes all sorts of "sensitive spaces" laws next year. Headed to the grocery store. Oops gonna have to leave the gun in the car, they sell beer there. Going out to dinner with the wife, uh oh have to leave the gun in the car, liquore sales on premisis. There are going to be so many places we can't carry there will be guns available at any parking lot. If I'm a criminal looking to steal some guns, I'd just hang out at a Texas Roadhouse and wait for everyone to go in for dinner.

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    And imagine how common this is going to become in Maryland when the GA passes all sorts of "sensitive spaces" laws next year. Headed to the grocery store. Oops gonna have to leave the gun in the car, they sell beer there. Going out to dinner with the wife, uh oh have to leave the gun in the car, liquore sales on premisis. There are going to be so many places we can't carry there will be guns available at any parking lot. If I'm a criminal looking to steal some guns, I'd just hang out at a Texas Roadhouse and wait for everyone to go in for dinner.
    Or, concealed means concealed, and just go about your business.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    And the GA will simply respond that any normal, good person would of course leave the gun at home where it belongs, broken down into pieces in an locked safe that can only be opened during Festivus.

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    Or, concealed means concealed, and just go about your business.
    But when MGA attaches prohibiting penalties for any violation of a "sensitive place", each and every time you try to fly under the radar you take a huge risk. Just as MGA intended. They can't abrogate the right, but they can make you rethink whether it's worth the risk to exercise it.

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    But when IF MGA attaches prohibiting penalties for any violation of a "sensitive place", each and every time you try to fly under the radar you take a huge risk. Just as MGA intended. They can't abrogate the right, but they can make you rethink whether it's worth the risk to exercise it.
    Fixed, since while possible, it's not law.

If Maryland has '30.06' signs like in Texas, maybe I'll rethink, but quite frankly, I'm too old and tired to care, and if I cannot effectively, I'm a dumbass.

Middleman

Sep 25, 2020
    So I guess this mount I just bought for mine is fake?? You are wrong.

No he isn’t. unless they changed the design. The iwb doesn’t use the same hardware that is used when using the mount clip. I have one and actually have two shells for my gun. One is set up to use the mount (mounted in My headboard) the other is set for owb like there tuck ( to keep it close to the body)

ok saw you corrected you post.

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    If your carry method is uncomfortable, find a new method or new firearm.

Holstering/unholstering is a opportunity for negligence or accidents. You should resist doing so unless absolutely necessary.

Practice and train to draw from concealment in a vehicle. Add removing a seat belt to the access portion of your Training to present a firearm while seated in a vehicle.
    ^this.

Your car is not a holster. The gun belongs on you, legalities aside.

I've made numerous 9+ hour drives while carrying without comfort issues.

Fiddling with your gun in the car opens up the possibility of shooting yourself, someone else, your car, etc. You can also be spotted by a Karen and have LE introduced into your day, unnecessarily complicating your life. The gun can also be forgotten in the car. This can be when you need it most (pumping gas?) or be stolen by thieves. Finally, it can become a projectile inside your car in the event of a crash.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I try very hard to differentiate between what is Law, what is accepted practice, and what is my personal opinion. And when it comes to opinion I give my rationale.

The rules for safe gun handling (accepted practice), are all ALWAYS/NEVER, not sometimes/except.

Sarcasm on
    Never point a firearm at something you don't intend to destroy, except when pointing out the passenger side in your glove box full of pens. Always keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction, except when facing rearward in your center console. Always protect your firearm from unauthorized access unless sometimes you set your purse down.
    Sarcasm off

These rules exist for a reason, and if followed strictly would prevent every accident. Every accident or negligent occurrence has identifiable breeches of the safety protocols.

Yall do yall. I have to preach knowledge, skills, and attitude.
    I pull my whole IWB holster out and throw it on my seat, in my cup holder, in my console, whatever at the time I want to do with it. I throw that holster in a dedicated pocket in my backpack when I go sit in Starbucks with it right next to me. No one has "snatched my purse" yet. They never will.

I'm curious. Since there is no law defining carry inside your vehicle. What is accepted practice while inside a vehicle?

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    From what I've been told it still has to remain in a holster but it can be anywhere in your vehicle.

To give any possible benefit of the doubt to this instructor , his ( her ?) advice would be relevant to unloaded transport , not under the auspices of a W&C Permit

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    I pull my whole IWB holster out and throw it on my seat, in my cup holder, in my console, whatever at the time I want to do with it. I throw that holster in a dedicated pocket in my backpack when I go sit in Starbucks with it right next to me. No one has "snatched my purse" yet. They never will.

I'm curious. Since there is no law defining carry inside your vehicle. What is accepted practice while inside a vehicle?
    Accepted practice?

WEAR IT!

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    OWB Paddle holsters are for the range.

I get it about the inherent design trade offs of Paddles , but not necessarily .

To throw one example , I have a High Noon paddle for P-11 , and it positions the gun such that it conceals as well as a typical OWB belt holster . It actually rides higher than belt holster succesfully , because the paddle stabilizes against the hip to maintain position , where if supported just by belt it would be overbalanced , and pulled outwards by gravity and love handles .

For the opposite example , the Fobus Roto Holster sticks the gun so far away from the body , that you might as well have a 4 way lug wrench under your shirt .

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom