• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    Talk to me about carrying in Baltimore, more particularly in buildings like Johns Hopkins.

I've made at least 5 trips to the ENT doctors at Hopkins for checkups and surgery on my son's ears regarding tubes. Coming from the eastern shore, I would love to have protection on me but am worried I would be turned away and I'm obviously not locking my firearm in the car unattended. We all know concealed is concealed if done correctly but do they have metal detectors that only detect large items like firearms?

Probably a dumb thread but thought it could be interesting to discuss visiting the hole that is Bmore.
    There are no metal detectors or x-ray checkpoints at any Baltimore hospitals.

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    § 59-1. Carrying long-barrel firearms. (a) Carrying prohibited — in general. (1) It shall be unlawful for any person to carry in any vehicles or about his person, except in his place of abode, fixed place of business, target range, gun show, historic reenactment, or civic event held on a National Monument or a Historic Shrine or parade for which a permit has been obtained, any rifle, shotgun or other firearm the barrel of which is over 14 inches in length.

(2) Provided that this subsection shall not apply to: (i) marshals, sheriffs, prison or jail wardens, or their deputies while in the performance of their official duty; (ii) policemen or other law enforcement officers; (iii) members of the armed forces of the United States or of the National Guard or organized reserves when on duty; (iv) holders of special police commissions issued under Title 4, Subtitle 9, of Article 41 of the Maryland Code, while actually on duty on the property for which the commission was issued or while traveling to or from such duty; (v) uniformed security guards, special railway police, and watchmen who have been cleared for such employment by the appropriate governmental agency, while in the course of their employment or while traveling to or from the place of employment; (vi) guards in the employ of a bank, savings and loan association, building and loan association, or express or armored car agency, while in the course of their employment or while traveling to or from the place of employment; (vii) manufacture, transportation, or sale of weapons to persons authorized under law to possess such under the laws of the United States; (viii) transportation of firearms unloaded and carried in an enclosed case or rack designed for that purpose; (ix) antique firearms, meaning: (A) any firearm (including any firearm with a matchlock, flintlock, percussion cap, or similar type of ignition system) manufactured in or before 1898; and

(B) any replica of any firearm described in subitem (A) if such replica: 1. is not designed or redesigned for using rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition; or 2. uses rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition which is no longer manufactured in the United States and which is not readily available in the ordinary channels of commercial trade. (b) Carrying prohibited — intent to commit crime. It shall be unlawful for any person to carry in any about his person any rifle, shotgun, or other firearms the barrel of which is over 14 inches in length with the intent to use the rifle, shotgun, or other firearm in the commission of a crime against the person or property of another. (c) Penalties. Any violation of the provisions of this section shall be deemed a misdemeanor, subject upon conviction to a fine of not more than $500 or to imprisonment for not longer than 60 days or to both fine and imprisonment, in the discretion of the Court. (City Code, 1976/83, art. 19, §97.) (Ord. 80-154; Ord. 81-215.)

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    Boy that's confusing.
    (b) This section does not prohibit:

(1) the wearing, carrying, or transporting of a handgun by a person who is on active assignment engaged in law enforcement, is authorized at the time and under the circumstances to wear, carry, or transport the handgun as part of the person's official equipment, and is:

(i) a law enforcement official of the United States, the State, or a county or city of the State;

(ii) a member of the armed forces of the United States or of the National Guard on duty or traveling to or from duty;

(iii) a law enforcement official of another state or subdivision of another state temporarily in this State on official business;

(iv) a correctional officer or warden of a correctional facility in the State;

(v) a sheriff or full-time assistant or deputy sheriff of the State; or

(vi) a temporary or part-time sheriff's deputy;

(2) the wearing, carrying, or transporting of a handgun by a person to whom a permit to wear, carry, or transport the handgun has been issued under Title 5, Subtitle 3 of the Public Safety Article;

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    The Gun-Free School Zones Act (GFSZA) is an act of the U.S. Congress prohibiting any unauthorized individual from knowingly possessing a loaded or unsecured firearm at a place that the individual knows, or has reasonable cause to believe, is a school zone as defined by 18 U.S.C. § 921(a)(25). The law applies to public, private, and parochial elementary schools and high schools, and to non-private property within 1000 feet of them. It provides that the states and their political subdivisions may issue licenses that exempt the licensed individuals from the prohibition.

As I read the Federal statute, a College or University is NOT a "school" as defined above.

Definitions[edit]​

Pursuant to 18 U.S.C. § 921(a)(25):

The term "school zone" means—
    (A) in, or on the grounds of, a public, parochial or private school; or(B) within a distance of 1,000 feet from the grounds of a public, parochial or private school.
    Pursuant to 18 U.S.C. § 921(a)(26) the term "school" means a school which provides elementary or secondary education, as determined under state law.

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    ... However, it is considered University property and hence Illegal to carry on the campuses.
    Can you cite the specific State statute that prohibits carrying with a handgun permit on a college or university campus?
    I can't seem to find that in COMAR.

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    There are no metal detectors or x-ray checkpoints at any Baltimore hospitals.

I can think of at least one hospital that will wand entrants as deemed appropriate, though. If they think you have something metallic that you shouldn't have, you'll be pulled aside for further screening.

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    (2) the wearing, carrying, or transporting of a handgun by a person to whom a permit to wear, carry, or transport the handgun has been issued under Title 5, Subtitle 3 of the Public Safety Article;
    By golly, that's us (now/soon)! So they've actually exempted us from their stupid law it seems.

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    I can think of at least one hospital that will wand entrants as deemed appropriate, though. If they think you have something metallic that you shouldn't have, you'll be pulled aside for further screening.
    You're probably right. Other than signage, no federal or state statute prohibits a person with a valid HGP from entering.
    If you are aware of such a law, please share.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    You're probably right. Other than signage, no federal or state statute prohibits a person with a valid HGP from entering.
    If you are aware of such a law, please share.
    Correct. No MD law prohibits carry on campuses. This will likely change next session.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom