• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland
    They ran this past weekend too

They did indeed. I was there trying to dial in my new suspension...it works OK. ;)

Got a 9.32@147 with a 1.37 sixty foot on 3rd try.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220213-120852_Messages.jpg
      Screenshot_20220213-120852_Messages.jpg
      65.4 KB · Views: 354
    • IMG_9167(1).jpg
      IMG_9167(1).jpg
      63.9 KB · Views: 357

71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland
    Took my son's turbo 4.8 LS swapped Mustang there Saturday. Fairly fresh build. Can't believe there was only 12 cars and 2 motorcycles there all day. For 3 years social media has had a bunch of "racers" crying that "their" track closed...

Now, no matter the weather, they're open and empty. :(

Attachments

• IMG_0075.jpg
      IMG_0075.jpg
      73.6 KB · Views: 257
    • 20220326_161708.jpg
      20220326_161708.jpg
      87.4 KB · Views: 255
    • 20220326_161647.jpg
      20220326_161647.jpg
      104.4 KB · Views: 256

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    Capitol has always been a hit or miss, of the tracks in the area it probably had the least consistent track prep. When I was younger and went a lot the track would vary weekend to weekend one weekend too grippy, next weekend too slick, another weekend perfect. Cecil and MIR have always been consistent, ultimately that is all racers want.

71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland
    Capitol has always been a hit or miss, of the tracks in the area it probably had the least consistent track prep. When I was younger and went a lot the track would vary weekend to weekend one weekend too grippy, next weekend too slick, another weekend perfect. Cecil and MIR have always been consistent, ultimately that is all racers want.

Oh, I hear ya. Cecil is my home track, and always has been. I've broken my share of driveshafts, rears and u-joints there, lol. :lol2:

Just can't believe all the people that whined and cried all over the internet about not being able to go there and race, ever again, (because they were closed), are still not going, now that they're open.

FWIW, the new proprietor of Capitol Raceway posts info and updates on Instagram and Facebook everyday, and also posts whether the track is prepped, or not. We didn't know that back in November when we first went back there for a Test & Tune.

I will say this, having 2 strong running turbo cars, that NEED "prep"...if Capitol says they are prepping the track, I'd put it's traction against Cecil's or MIR's any day of the week. My son and I have both ran our best sixty foot times (and ET's) ever, already this year at Capitol, and the 2022 season hasn't even got into full swing yet.

Dragstrips are kinda like PTO or work vacations....

Use It or Lose It...

I'd bet my last dollar that if it closes again, due to low car counts, it won't ever come back...

THier

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 3, 2010
    Muscleville
    Oh, I hear ya. Cecil is my home track, and always has been. I've broken my share of driveshafts, rears and u-joints there, lol. :lol2:

Just can't believe all the people that whined and cried all over the internet about not being able to go there and race, ever again, (because they were closed), are still not going, now that they're open.

FWIW, the new proprietor of Capitol Raceway posts info and updates on Instagram and Facebook everyday, and also posts whether the track is prepped, or not. We didn't know that back in November when we first went back there for a Test & Tune.

I will say this, having 2 strong running turbo cars, that NEED "prep"...if Capitol says they are prepping the track, I'd put it's traction against Cecil's or MIR's any day of the week. My son and I have both ran our best sixty foot times (and ET's) ever, already this year at Capitol, and the 2022 season hasn't even got into full swing yet.

Use It or Lose It...

I'd bet my last dollar that if it closes again, due to low car counts, it won't ever come back...

I shut left lane down years ago, when I broke all 4 rods, put 2 through the block and pan, dumping 5qts Mobile one and coolant on the track, cool Temps, night test and tune, I guess they didn't want to put the time into clean up.

tom b

Oct 2, 2011
    Took my son's turbo 4.8 LS swapped Mustang there Saturday. Fairly fresh build. Can't believe there was only 12 cars and 2 motorcycles there all day. For 3 years social media has had a bunch of "racers" crying that "their" track closed...

Now, no matter the weather, they're open and empty. :(

Nice looking car!

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    I shut left lane down years ago, when I broke all 4 rods, put 2 through the block and pan, dumping 5qts Mobile one and coolant on the track, cool Temps, night test and tune, I guess they didn't want to put the time into clean up.

****Oh man, that won't buff out!!! One of my track friends, who is known for building hand grenade motors and pushing limits, bought a 2 bolt main 350 Chevy from the junkyard, had it bored out to 4.060 and put in some kinda decent pistons and rings, plus the usual rod and main bearings, a deburred and straight crankshaft, plus stock rods deburred, etc.. He went kinda big on the cam IMO and the heads were ported to take advantage of pretty high duration and lift on the cam.. He had a high stall torque convertor and some slicks, etc.. and got a more than respectable 11.7 sec time at 75-80 (years ago...when they were open) with a nice 1.6 sec 60 ft his first run. Really impressive quite frankly.

Anyway, he turns up the wick by leaning out the carb jets 5% or so on the secondaries and lines up against some dude in an old Vega with a 350 and slicks. Tree goes down, and my friend launches hard, gets the hole shot, and just tears the Vega dude a new ass by the 1/8 mile only to *drive* over his crankshaft with several rods attached along with pistons and just trashes the track, spilling oil and antifreeze and what was left of his soul on the track! OMG. There were guys with *snow* shovels scooping up the parts of his motor... :sad20:

Anyway, he should have gone 4 bolt as he broke 2 main caps and everything just came apart. Thankfully, nobody got hurt. I've never seen so many engine parts just strewn out on a track as that dudes motor. The *only* thing salvageable from that motor was the air cleaner hold down nut as everything else basically just came apart. Crazy!

Anyway, good times, good times... Pic does NOT show the block, which just had holes in the bottom, the sides, the top, pretty much everywhere! A total F'in mess!!!

Attachments

• blown.jpg
      blown.jpg
      88.3 KB · Views: 162

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011

Use It or Lose It...

One night I went many years ago and I had to really tie my shoes on that is how sticky the track was outside the burnout pits. :innocent0

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    ****Oh man, that won't buff out!!! One of my track friends, who is known for building hand grenade motors and pushing limits, bought a 2 bolt main 350 Chevy from the junkyard, had it bored out to 4.060 and put in some kinda decent pistons and rings, plus the usual rod and main bearings, a deburred and straight crankshaft, plus stock rods deburred, etc.. He went kinda big on the cam IMO and the heads were ported to take advantage of pretty high duration and lift on the cam.. He had a high stall torque convertor and some slicks, etc.. and got a more than respectable 11.7 sec time at 75-80 (years ago...when they were open) with a nice 1.6 sec 60 ft his first run. Really impressive quite frankly.

Anyway, he turns up the wick by leaning out the carb jets 5% or so on the secondaries and lines up against some dude in an old Vega with a 350 and slicks. Tree goes down, and my friend launches hard, gets the hole shot, and just tears the Vega dude a new ass by the 1/8 mile only to *drive* over his crankshaft with several rods attached along with pistons and just trashes the track, spilling oil and antifreeze and what was left of his soul on the track! OMG. There were guys with *snow* shovels scooping up the parts of his motor... :sad20:

Anyway, he should have gone 4 bolt as he broke 2 main caps and everything just came apart. Thankfully, nobody got hurt. I've never seen so many engine parts just strewn out on a track as that dudes motor. The *only* thing salvageable from that motor was the air cleaner hold down nut as everything else basically just came apart. Crazy!

Anyway, good times, good times... Pic does NOT show the block, which just had holes in the bottom, the sides, the top, pretty much everywhere! A total F'in mess!!!

Short cuts in the racing world whether 4 cy, 6 cyl or 8 cyl are expensive. :innocent0

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    damn

damn.. Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it.

RJRjr

Aug 26, 2017
    cecil county
    Never been to Capitol raceway. Gonna try to check it out this year. I go to Cecil regularly as I live close enough to hear it. First street car shootout of the year this weekend at Cecil.

Attachments

• 248451278_618558549499832_5962327473161233962_n~5.jpg
      248451278_618558549499832_5962327473161233962_n~5.jpg
      96.4 KB · Views: 112

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    damn.. Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it.

*****Haha!!!! THAT is *exactly* the line I was thinking as I posted the pic!!! "He's got the ultimate set of tools!" :lol:

Omg the block looks even WORSE! It separated so badly it cracked the TH-400 transmission case behind it, bent the input shaft, punctured the torque convertor, and broke literally every accessory (alternator, water pump, power steering pump, etc..), and it looked like a chocolate milkshake had gone through a Great Dane and exploded out it's ******* all over the track!!! Why the dude was running antifreeze versus just plain water with water wetter I dunno. The track people were *pissed* but my poor friend now had a big box of broken parts on the trailer (formerly a motor), and a car that basically was covered in crap on the bottom.

Admittedly, a very expensive day.. :thumbsup:

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Never been to Capitol raceway. Gonna try to check it out this year. I go to Cecil regularly as I live close enough to hear it. First street car shootout of the year this weekend at Cecil.

*****That's a really nice Goat!!!! Looks to be launching really straight too! :thumbsup: (good chassis prep)

I'm having one of my cars dyno'd this week with AFR so I can adjust injector duty cycles with some new parts I put on the car. I have a big pusher and a smaller puller fuel pump setup that is hopefully progressive enough at higher boost and delivers enough volume to keep from leaning out at the top. On paper and dumping fuel into a 5 gallon bucket and measuring volume everything seems fine, but I have to test it in the running car... It's amazing I can adjust so much with just my laptop or special handheld tuner now versus changing out jets, or metering rods (Rochester Q-Jet), etc.. like I did with the old school motors (like your car came with originally!).

For insurance, I usually have the methanol injection system on to prevent detonation, in case AFR or EGT looks wonky with the tune, and remove the meth to get as much as I can without it for street driving. The track tune is a different animal all together and the meth is on with the progressive controller to keep from melting expensive parts... :shocked4:

Attachments

• genius.jpg
      genius.jpg
      64.6 KB · Views: 112
    • knock1.jpg
      knock1.jpg
      78.2 KB · Views: 114
    • gn2.jpg
      gn2.jpg
      63.5 KB · Views: 116
    • knock3.jpg
      knock3.jpg
      85 KB · Views: 116

RJRjr

Aug 26, 2017
    cecil county
    *****That's a really nice Goat!!!! Looks to be launching really straight too! :thumbsup: (good chassis prep)

I'm having one of my cars dyno'd this week with AFR so I can adjust injector duty cycles with some new parts I put on the car. I have a big pusher and a smaller puller fuel pump setup that is hopefully progressive enough at higher boost and delivers enough volume to keep from leaning out at the top. On paper and dumping fuel into a 5 gallon bucket and measuring volume everything seems fine, but I have to test it in the running car... It's amazing I can adjust so much with just my laptop or special handheld tuner now versus changing out jets, or metering rods (Rochester Q-Jet), etc.. like I did with the old school motors (like your car came with originally!).

For insurance, I usually have the methanol injection system on to prevent detonation, in case AFR or EGT looks wonky with the tune, and remove the meth to get as much as I can without it for street driving. The track tune is a different animal all together and the meth is on with the progressive controller to keep from melting expensive parts... :shocked4:

I know zero about fuel injection. Jets and a timing light is all I understand. Has a 950 holley now. The technology these guys use to race these days to me is amazing.

71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland
    One night I went many years ago and I had to really tie my shoes on that is how sticky the track was outside the burnout pits. :innocent0

LOL. I screenshotted the track guy almost pulling a hamstring after he set me in the lights back in February. He knows, so he wears very high top shoes.

I'll be there Saturday myself, in the TransAm. Have to turn boost down to "legally" run Pro Street and 10.0 Index. Will be my first trip to Cecil this year. This is my 6th year running the Streetcar Shootout. Can't wait! Maybe see you there.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220329-114949_YouTube.jpg
      Screenshot_20220329-114949_YouTube.jpg
      74.1 KB · Views: 105
    • Screenshot_20220329-115027_YouTube.jpg
      Screenshot_20220329-115027_YouTube.jpg
      25.2 KB · Views: 108
    • IMG_20220322_094827_243.jpg
      IMG_20220322_094827_243.jpg
      60.4 KB · Views: 102

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics