• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    I have an aquaintance who has an old cannon. He wants to fire it with just black powder (no projectile) for the smoke and boom. Anyone have an idea of how much B.P. to start it off with? I was thinking of 150gr initially.

It was just freshly painted. This guy likes to paint everything.

The bore looks to be 1.5" in diameter. I didn't have my remote camera with me to scope the bore out, but I was told it was fired long, long ago. This cannon is a serious chunk of miniature artillery.

Capture.JPG

Capture1.JPG

toppkatt

Ultimate Member
    Apr 22, 2017
    Someone stills has (or even knows) what a film canister is/looks like? :rolleyes:

I still have some, even a box full of the metal, Kodak screw lidded ones from my father...

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    Someone stills has (or even knows) what a film canister is/looks like? :rolleyes:

I still have some, even a box full of the metal, Kodak screw lidded ones from my father...
    Not all of us are a bunch of whippersnappers; on this here message board. Of course we remember. :)

MADad

Sep 8, 2013
    Charles County
    I seriously doubt you could put too much black powder in it. Like a rifle, it would just expel a lot of unburnt powder. I have a black powder cannon that shoots 10 gauge black powder shotshells. It’s a blast!

wreckdiver

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2008
    Love black powder cannons. Just shot mine off tonight for a friend. Used 100 grains of Pyrodex and a tissue paper wad. Really like to get one that shoots golf balls or maybe even tennis balls.

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    I'm not a canon guy, but the finer powders, like 3fg and 4fg burn really quickly and are pistol powders. The more coarse-grained powders are for long guns and canon. Do some serious research.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009

The younger generation would know them as dope canisters

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    IF you do a straight mathamatic conversion from the post in the other Forum ( which appears knowledgeable and plausible ) , you would use +/- 440 gr of the largest granulation BP you can find .

But that's a full power military Signaling charge , and Seriously LOUD . Like window breaking Loud .

Prudence would be start low at muzzleloader hunting charge level , and work up to a pleasing , recreational Boom . Say 50- 100 gr .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom