• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gti

Jan 4, 2013
    Hi, All

I just acquired my C&R license. I have a Mosin Nagant 1891/30 and want to sell to another Maryland resident. I have read through the FAQ (very helpful) but still not 100% clear about the steps. Here are the two that are revelant.

Can I sell my C&R guns to a non-collector?
    Yes, and all state and local laws must be followed
    Are C&R holders transfers of C&R firearms subject to the Brady law, including the provision for making background checks on transferees?
    According to the ATF FAQ: No, but it is unlawful to transfer a firearm to any person knowing or having reasonable cause to believe that such person is a felon or is within any other category of person prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms.

Can I just meet with the guy and check his driver license/address and sell the gun directly to him, and when I get home just record the sell in the book and call it done?

thanks!

gti

Jan 4, 2013
    Thank you eruby! Let me look up a bill of sale and bring that with me when do the transaction.

gti

Jan 4, 2013
    Yeap, just find a similar form using google:)

Since you are so knowledgeable, mind me ask another question?
    If I am about to sell a modern shotgun (Mossberg 930 to be exact) to another Maryland Resident. Is Bill of Sale the only document needed since it is non regulated long gun?

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    Yeap, just find a similar form using google:)

Since you are so knowledgeable, mind me ask another question?
    If I am about to sell a modern shotgun (Mossberg 930 to be exact) to another Maryland Resident. Is Bill of Sale the only document needed since it is non regulated long gun?
    You really don't need the bill of sale, many do it as a CYA. Some face-to-face transfers don't even bother to check the driver's license, but I'd at least want to check it's the same state.

Lots of folks here on MDS are FAR more knowledgeable than I could ever hope to be. :)

gti

Jan 4, 2013
    Thanks again!You are really being modest. I like this forum and will visit here often!

Hi-Torque

Jan 16, 2013
    Finksburg
    No documents are needed to sell a typical "non-regulated" long rifle or shotgun face-to-face to another MD resident. A bill of sale is recommended, but not required. The 930 is no different, no FFL needed for FTF with a MD resident.

If you purchased the 91/30 with your C&R and logged it in your bound book, you're going to want to log it out properly with the buyer's info and a bill of sale. If you didn't buy it with the C&R and it's not in your bound book, then it's no different than your Mossberg, the bill of sale is just recommended.

The only reason it's recommended is if the gun shows up in a crime scene, and you're the last known owner of the gun, it's nice to have a document ready to show that you no longer own it, with a date and signatures.

CasualObserver

Who Observes the Observer
    Apr 27, 2012
    Maryland Born Now in Vermont
    No documents are needed to sell a typical "non-regulated" long rifle or shotgun face-to-face to another MD resident. A bill of sale is recommended, but not required. The 930 is no different, no FFL needed for FTF with a MD resident.

If you purchased the 91/30 with your C&R and logged it in your bound book, you're going to want to log it out properly with the buyer's info and a bill of sale. If you didn't buy it with the C&R and it's not in your bound book, then it's no different than your Mossberg, the bill of sale is just recommended.

The only reason it's recommended is if the gun shows up in a crime scene, and you're the last known owner of the gun, it's nice to have a document ready to show that you no longer own it, with a date and signatures.

Actually if you bought it before having your C&R license and you sell a C&R while you are licensed, you need to log it into your book so you can log it right back out to document the sale as a disposition. This question comes up quite often.... almost as often as "do I have to log it into my bound book if I didn't use my C&R license to acquire it" and that answer is yes as well. At least that is my understanding of the ATF regulations and the general consensus as far as I know. I'm sure opinions vary.

yellowsled

Retired C&R Addict
    Jun 22, 2009
    Palm Beach, Fl
    I get their contact info before and look them up on md case search. When we meet I verify the info they provided earlier and then I transfer. I would hate to be the one to sell to a prohibited person. My .02

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jtlambo

Latest threads

Top Bottom