• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • crabjoe

Aug 4, 2023
    Ceciltucky
    Being that I'm always NICS delayed, and from my understanding, WV allows a bypass of NICS if the buyer has a WV CCW Permit. I've heard it doesn't work for non-residents for long guns, but I haven't been able to fins any WV law that forbids it. Tonight I found the below. Does that mean, as a non-resident of WV, once I get my WV CCW, I can bypass the NICS check in WV? It sure looks like it, assuming WV doesn't have a law against it for non-residents they've issued a permit to.

1696639938513.png

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    Being that I'm always NICS delayed, and from my understanding, WV allows a bypass of NICS if the buyer has a WV CCW Permit. I've heard it doesn't work for non-residents for long guns, but I haven't been able to fins any WV law that forbids it. Tonight I found the below. Does that mean, as a non-resident of WV, once I get my WV CCW, I can bypass the NICS check in WV? It sure looks like it, assuming WV doesn't have a law against it for non-residents they've issued a permit to.

View attachment 434387
    NO.

You are not a resident of WV, so you can't bypass NICS with a WV NR permit.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Well that sux for me!
    You need to get a UPIN to avoid getting hung up on 4473

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    You need to get a UPIN to avoid getting hung up on 4473

This. Will make your long gun buying life much easier

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV

View attachment 434387
    No you do not get to do a NICS exemption. The WV NICS exemption law was passed back when WV was only issuing CCW permits to residents. As such, just because they now offer a non-resident permit, does not mean you are able to get a NICS exemption under WV state law. Furthermore, some FFL's in WV will not do a NICS exemption 4473 on residents, because they have been burned in the past by people that were in fact prohibited.

cmartin

Jun 11, 2009
    I have found Daemon to be correct. WV Resident and CCW and still have to do NICS at stores I use.

crabjoe

Aug 4, 2023
    Ceciltucky
    Well.. I picked up a shotgun for my kid's 13th birthday today and I didn't go into DELAY. I took less than 10 mins, possibly, less than 5. When the gun shop told me I was good to go, I was like "What, it said proceed and not delay?" I was so excited, I grabbed the box and took off for home! LOL The only think different this time than past is that he had me use the weight on my DL, instead of my actual weight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom