• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    16ga never was an Official Skeet Gage ( 12, 20, 28, .410 ) , so clay oriented places unlikely to have 16ga .

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    Guns in that time frame in 16 ga. had 2 1/2" chambers not the current 2 3/4"
    Best to have it checked by Gun Smith that's familiar with older shotguns and if they are short chambers he can have them opened up to 2 3/4" ,
    Simply dropping a shell in and seeing if closes won't work because the chamber
    length is for the length of the fired shell . You can order 2 1/2" online , but I haven't looked for any in some time for my LC Smith vintage 1938 , I ordered 4 cases five years ago , I only use her for Grouse and Woodcock, If you want to open the chambers I'd take it to Scotts Gun Smithing , He did a couple of Browning A-5 barrels years ago .

Actually most 16 ga I've encountered from prior to the 1930s are either 2-9/16 or 2-5/8. My LC Smith from the early 30s is 2-9/16. In fact I also have a 12 ga AH Fox that is only 2-5/8. I have mostly ordered shells from Polywad. You can mix and match shot sizes in a flat and even get some boxes with Spread-R wads that essentially open your choke patterns by 1 or 2 levels. All these shells are 2.5". My last purchase was pre Covid so I don't know current availabilty

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    BassPro has had 16 ga in stock every time I’ve been in recently. No 12s or 20s, but yup 16s. Don’t think it is too popular a gauge. They also had 28s.

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    Thank you. I can’t use that. I need low brass . But thank you for your generous offer.
    I’m shooting a 1913 Parker Brothers. I can’t run the high brass.
    Remington Game loads are low brass. It’s the Express that’s high brass. Game loads are typically less shot, but higher velocity. Like 1 oz at 1290 fps.

ETA: talking about 12 gauge. Perhaps 16 is different.

Cochise

Ultimate Member
    Sep 5, 2008
    Rockville
    Game loads

Remington Game loads are low brass. It’s the Express that’s high brass. Game loads are typically less shot, but higher velocity. Like 1 oz at 1290 fps.

ETA: talking about 12 gauge. Perhaps 16 is different.

The 16 gauge Remington Game Loads are low brass and 1 oz of shot. They are not necessarily low pressure as they are made to function a semi auto. I do shoot them in vintage guns in good shape.
    The only low pressure option is RST when ever they get back to shipping product. Polywad is sold and at least for now gone.
    I do still have a flat of game loads

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom