• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Parry

Nov 22, 2020
    On my way out of Maryland
    I have friends and family members who are welcome to come to my place if SHTF. For those people, they need a bug out bag to get to me. While I only need a get home bag, they need a bug out bag.

Crazytrain

Certified Grump
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 8, 2007
    Sparks, MD
    My opinions....probably not worth much...

"I am bugging out" is only half a plan. The complete sentence should be something like "I am bugging out to Aunt Martha's farm" or something like it.

When people say they are going to bug out to the mountains or something, that is really only an idea without the specifics to really be a plan. More of a hope that things will figure things out and everything will just start being OK once you get wherever it is you want to go.

Bug Out Bags are really not survival bags in most cases. They are something you have when you need to leave RIGHT THIS MOMENT to get you through a few days of hardship as you get wherever you are going. It is not practical to carry much in them. A change of clothes, medicine, some basic hygiene and first aid supplies, some water and some food, money, a battery pack to charge cell phones, space blankets, poncho, knife. On top of that some location specific stuff. If you know you are going to Aunt Martha's and if for some reason you can't take a car, you should probably have whatever you need to rough it while you get there. Maybe that includes a tent or whatever is necessary for improvised shelter (line, poncho, whatever). Contents might change a somewhat for winter bugouts compared to summer bugouts. If you carry it might be a good idea to keep an extra loaded magazine or two.

I don't know. It's an individual thing I guess. But to me a BOB is for those extreme (and extremely rare) moments when there is little to no time to prepare. The house is burning down (plan: nearby relatives will provide shelter). Raging hordes of Baltimore Zombies are marching down the street burning everything down (plan: situational. Stand and defend or jump in the car and stage a little further away before roads get blocked). Your Facebook stalker finally found out where you live and is moments from arriving to "teach you a lesson" (plan: N/A. If only someone cared enough to want to torment me). Tornado (same a fire). Flood (I'm buying a property that would require a biblical event to affect). The AFT finding your name on a solvent trap customer list (plan: hide the dogs).

Like others here, I guess I'm not that worried about these situations at this time. I suspect that if things get bad enough where bugging out might be wise choice there will be some time to prepare for it. In the meantime, better to spend time preparing for more likely scenarios, IMO.

Oh...and keeping a Get Home Bag, or at least some seasonally appropriate supplies in the car seems like a very wise idea. I hear it is not unheard of to get stuck for days on the Virginia highway during a snowstorm. It would be nice not to freeze to death.

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    To many dang bags to keep up with,
    There’s the Minuteman kit or bag. Used to keep the invaders in check.
    Then you have a GHB to keep in your vehicle in case SHTF while away from home. Your SHTF episode may vary from someone else’s.
    The BOB so you can flee at a moments notice. This could be a filled suitcase or a supplemental bag to pare with your GHB.
    Finally you have the INCH or I’m never coming home bag, this has everything you can carry for every situation, may need a mule or two to carry it. The mountain men did. :)

19mace92

Aug 2, 2022
    Rehoboth Beach, Delaware
    Everyone will have a different solution in different situations. Plain and simple, I am not capable of carrying a bag for many miles for my family of 4 to survive in the wilderness. I plan to get myself home if need be and I educate myself on where I can go if my home is no longer a viable option. To keep my travels light, I study bushcraft and how to use my environment to survive. No need to carry what mother nature already provides.

rgramjet

Ultimate Member
    Jan 25, 2009
    Howard County
    Shout out to Ogio bags.

This morning I was slinging my work backpack over my shoulder. The buckle broke and it fell to the ground. Laptop and probably 20 lbs of folders and stuff. Everything survived.

I called Ogio and told them about the strap buckle failure. Without hesitation, they are sending me a new bag, 2 day priority mail.

I've been very happy with that bag and its features. Would definitely buy again. FWIW.

govwontletmebuycoolguns

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 3, 2010
    DPRM
    This here is the hill I will die on. I don't see buggin out as a viable option, having only what you have on your back and going as far as a tank of gas or your body will take you.

psycosteve

Meme magic works!!!
    Sep 3, 2012
    Gentrfying the Hagersbush.
    This here is the hill I will die on. I don't see buggin out as a viable option, having only what you have on your back and going as far as a tank of gas or your body will take you.
    I completely understand your point of view on this. A BOB is just a tool. Without the skills and abilities to utilize any tool properly, the tool becomes worthless. The concept of the BOB is IMHO a foundation for more advanced prepping, not the end all be all for survival. A BOB like any other prep is essentially there to buy you time. Time to either get to someplace better or to allow you to wait things out. Sometimes the only option is one that was once not viable. Having some flexibility in your options is never a bad thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SrAIC

Latest threads

Top Bottom