• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    So, I don't have thousands of dollars to spend on night vision goggles, or military grade stuff. I have seen a bunch of cheaper, 1-$300 night vision monoculars that have peaked my interest. Not necessarily for mounting on a weapon, but if things get bad, I'd just like to be able to see a fair distance away without being seen, to watch over the house/area. Anyone here have any experience with the night vision monoculars? I know they aren't as good as government issue stuff. I'm looking at stuff like Firefield, Night Owl, Bushnell, etc....

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=night+vision+monocular&_sop=12

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=budget+n...ight+vision+monocular,aps,64&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

Silverlax

Nov 13, 2014
    Eastern Shore
    Not trying to be a jerk but with night vision you literally pay for what you get. I’ve run some Atn digital night vision scopes (sub $600) before that were okay, but you need a very powerful illuminator to see a distance of 200yds or so. They are not for fine detail vision.

Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    Not trying to be a jerk but with night vision you literally pay for what you get. I’ve run some Atn digital night vision scopes (sub $600) before that were okay, but you need a very powerful illuminator to see a distance of 200yds or so. They are not for fine detail vision.

I get it, and I am not looking for a combat rated night vision set up, just something for keeping an eye out around the house when it gets dark. These cheaper commercial ones seem to be the IR/CCD style that cell phones and older camcorders used to use.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    I get it, and I am not looking for a combat rated night vision set up, just something for keeping an eye out around the house when it gets dark. These cheaper commercial ones seem to be the IR/CCD style that cell phones and older camcorders used to use.

In a fixed position, just get a f-ton of wifi cameras. I've got them around the perimeter outside and in rooms inside. When we've heard bumps, I can grab my phone and check out all the areas in and around our house in complete dark.

Eufy makes good stuff with local storage for not too much money.

Glaron

Camp pureblood 13R
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 20, 2013
    Virginia
    In a fixed position, just get a f-ton of wifi cameras. I've got them around the perimeter outside and in rooms inside. When we've heard bumps, I can grab my phone and check out all the areas in and around our house in complete dark.

:thumbsup:

Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD

You know, that's a pretty damn good idea. Didn't think of that. Thanks!:thumbsup:

Glaron

Camp pureblood 13R
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 20, 2013
    Virginia
    I bought a system with 4 cams, 1 terabyte NVR. 125 bucks, black friday.

This is what I get.... Just a fyi. The direct pic looks better, but it is stored for playback. ;)

Attachments

• cam2-326.jpg
      cam2-326.jpg
      22.1 KB · Views: 1,097

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    I have my backyard camera in charging now, so I grabbed it quick to get a picture of what it does in pitch black. I took one picture in my basement on manual settings to mimic what my eyes see and the other is a screenshot from the camera. It's a little blurred because of me swiping for the screenshot, but this is 100% ir with no visible white light.

Attachments

• 20220326_165333.jpg
      20220326_165333.jpg
      6.9 KB · Views: 1,075
    • Screenshot_20220326-165404_EufySecurity.jpg
      Screenshot_20220326-165404_EufySecurity.jpg
      21.8 KB · Views: 1,074

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    If you have a larger outdoor space you can add one of these LED IR Spotlights to really extend the range beyond the built in camera IR LEDs.

639c47b8348bfbbe84217f34f39066f2.jpg

Glaron

Camp pureblood 13R
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 20, 2013
    Virginia
    I have my backyard camera in charging now, so I grabbed it quick to get a picture of what it does in pitch black. I took one picture in my basement on manual settings to mimic what my eyes see and the other is a screenshot from the camera. It's a little blurred because of me swiping for the screenshot, but this is 100% ir with no visible white light.

This is where people differ which is cool. I find my 24/7/365 camera inside my house? Creepy. They need to beat the outer defense.

So the idea of more ambient light? :thumbsup: The camera itself is 5 watts IR. You can always see farther via the outside light. Full moon? Damn.

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    Sightmark wraith is more than capable to 300yds with the supplied ir light. Further if you upgrade. The detail isnt as fine as a $2k optic but it does the job. Battery life is its biggest flaw but their are options to solve that.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015

Ditto. The one downside is it is too wide angle to see much too far away. You can certainly tell “that’s a person” about 40yds away. Even at night. Much further at night, no. Daylight maybe you could see a person from 60-70yds. At best you might be able to identify a person from 20yds.

Also with fixed position, install flood lights. I could use adding some more, but the former owner had them installed at two corners of the house and a pair of “250w” LED PAR30 bulbs in each illuminates one of my side yards and backyard very well. From experience, from a window well enough on a dark night to be able to pickup (and pick-off, though I haven’t) a raccoon or Fox from the edge of my side woods 60yds away from a 4x scope.

Backyard I can’t see as far, but the wood line is also only about 25yds away.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I buy stuff using PayPal credit. They often run 24 months 0% interest deals. If you can do $50/mo, you suddenly have a $1200 budget. $150 a month will get you a Gen3 PVS-14. I’ve been doing this for expensive optics for years.

TexasBob

Another day in Paradise
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 25, 2012
    Space Coast
    Not sure you can say Budget night vision, that tech was dollar signs all over it. other words that do not go together Good and cheap.

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    If you have a larger outdoor space you can add one of these LED IR Spotlights to really extend the range beyond the built in camera IR LEDs.

639c47b8348bfbbe84217f34f39066f2.jpg

*****These work really really well. I had one in my old home with a camera for the backyard and it made the backyard look like daylight. I only had 1/2 acre but the clarity of the camera while using that IR spotlight was absolutely amazing and a LOT cheaper than a nicer night vision optic.

The cool thing about a good quality NV optic is of course being able to move it easily, and spot a threat or whatever with your weapon. Less limitations in some respects.

However, on a budget -that IR spotlight above or something similar really is amazing for the price.

BFMIN

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2010
    Eastern shore
    I have a binocular vision Gen1 set running on "AA" batteries that's perfectly adequate for light duty use.

It was purchased for work in a commercial high volume photographic darkroom where all the new stuff is useless because there is NO light.
    PM me if you're interested.

I've retired & no longer use or need it.
    It was originally designed for off road, no lighting, driving, so it has an interesting setup, the Field of view is 78%, which translates to normal 3D vision perception. It includes a switchable I.R illuminator for short range (15' or so) use, presumably to see your instruments.
    Not sure where you're located but if you can get to Talbot Co. on the Eastern shore you can test drive before you but if you're interested.

QAUYwmh.jpg

QnNpHsw.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom