• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Off_paper

Apr 30, 2021
    AACo
    I've not been too happy with my experiences with the SR22. I would like to try out the TX22 but like others have said I don't think they are in the same class as the 22/45 or Buckmark.

I have the TX22 Competition, it's a lot of fun, I have a Holosun 507 mounted to the barrel. It's reasonably accurate for a new shooter like me, and has great ergonomics. I've also heard from others who have tried it that the trigger feels great, but I don't have a lot to compare to.

MiddleRiverShootist

Jan 18, 2015
    Baltimore Co
    i have 3 Ruger MK IIs they are tack drivers! after a few disassemblies i got better at it. i had a buckmark but traded it years ago. Im stuck on the MK IIs Had a MK III Lite that was ok,, but traded it also. The MK IIs stay in rotation.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Anyone have a Mark series with a threaded barrel? Looking at one as a suppressor host

I have a III and IV series both 22/45 Lites. Threaded barrels. They are tack drivers. Only have shot suppressed.

Look kinda like this.

Attachments

• 0271F1AF-E0BC-4021-86FA-0388FB2D73A5.jpeg
      0271F1AF-E0BC-4021-86FA-0388FB2D73A5.jpeg
      96.9 KB · Views: 108

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I had the Bickmark Camper. Accurate enough but the surface coating sucked. I fought small amounts of surface rust on that gun the whole time I owned it.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    That's disappointing. One of the guys I shoot steel with just bought one, and honestly it's what started this debate lol.

I've told a lot of people that story and few others have mentioned seeing the same. It's possible that mine was flawed from the factory, but there have been a few others...

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    My Buckmark is a tack driver but a major PITA to disassemble for cleaning. I don't have experience with the Rugers.

Late to the game, but my buckmark isn’t that hard to take apart for cleaning. It’s a pair of screws and then the top strap comes off and bolt out. A lot easier than the earlier Marks. I can’t recall how the IV comes apart off the top of my head.

One perk of the Buckmark is the frame is the serialized part. You want a new barrel for the Ruger Marks and you have to buy a new serialized part. So you can swap on whatever barrel you want on the Buckmarks (I’ve got a 6” target bull barrel now. Looking to get a 5.5 Tac Sol threaded barrel to swap in).

My Buckmark fits my hand great (90s larger grip frame with rubberized grips). Excellent trigger from the factory (the later ones you have to remove the magazine safety to improve the trigger feel, which is easy and safe to do). Very accurate.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I own an older Buckmark and the newer Ruger Mark IV. Older Buckmarks and Ruger Marks (pre IV) are maintenance pains. The Mark IV is a dream to takedown and maintain. Also, very reliable and accurate. Takedown of my old Buckmark is a bit involved. Very accurate, but cannot go 100 rounds without cleaning. With front and rear adjustable sights, one always seems to get knocked about.

I picked up a ~96 buckmark. It needed some serious maintenance and a few parts replaced. Still chasing the occasional light strikes and the rim indentations are pretty shallow compared to my 10/22. I’ve got a replacement main spring sitting on my work bench and I can always file the firing pin retaining hole slightly if that is the issue. It isn’t often.

But no way I need to clean it every 100 rounds since I cleaned it up and replaced the buffer that had dissolved in to chunks. Since cleaning and installing a new buffer, extractor and firing pin I’ve gone about 250 rounds with no cleaning and no issues other than rare light strikes, like 3 (which it did prior to cleaning also. But now it extracts 100% and feeds 100%, rather than 96%). And cleaning is easy.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    If this is for competition usage, the clear choice is Mark IV 22/45 Lite. The VQ competition kit puts the trigger at < 2.5lbs with super short take-up and over-travel, and it's a total game changer. I'm not saying the Buckmark is a bad pistol, it's not, but the high performance choice is pretty clear. I bought a used $225 MarkIII 22/45, stuffed a couple hundred bucks of VQ parts in it plus some new sights, and it is hands-down one of the finest pistols I've ever owned.

Neutron

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2014
    severna park
    I think it's a mistake to say one is better than the other. Even the guys that own both have different opinions on which one is better. My son has the Ruger and I have the Buckmark so l shoot them both. Pretty much a toss up. Really comes down to personal preference for whatever reason. No wrong choice. As is usually said, get both!

XJ.Cherokee

Jan 5, 2021
    Harford county
    If this is for competition usage, the clear choice is Mark IV 22/45 Lite. The VQ competition kit puts the trigger at < 2.5lbs with super short take-up and over-travel, and it's a total game changer. I'm not saying the Buckmark is a bad pistol, it's not, but the high performance choice is pretty clear. I bought a used $225 MarkIII 22/45, stuffed a couple hundred bucks of VQ parts in it plus some new sights, and it is hands-down one of the finest pistols I've ever owned.

This is essentially what I ended up doing. Picked up the 22/45 tactical (only one they had with the threaded barrel). VQ trigger kit, bolt kit, and hi Viz sights and I'm ready for next steel challenge.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    This is essentially what I ended up doing. Picked up the 22/45 tactical (only one they had with the threaded barrel). VQ trigger kit, bolt kit, and hi Viz sights and I'm ready for next steel challenge.
    Yeah, you can tell who's plinking and who's competing, TBH. I'm not saying you couldn't do well with a Buckmark, but it's a heck of a lot easier to do well with a VQ-upgraded 22/45.

TBH, even the MarkIII is not that hard to field strip once you figure out how all the pieces go together. The first couple times are a bear, though.

XJ.Cherokee

Jan 5, 2021
    Harford county
    Yeah, you can tell who's plinking and who's competing, TBH. I'm not saying you couldn't do well with a Buckmark, but it's a heck of a lot easier to do well with a VQ-upgraded 22/45.

TBH, even the MarkIII is not that hard to field strip once you figure out how all the pieces go together. The first couple times are a bear, though.

Not that there's anything wrong with either. I've had an SR22 for years, great plinker/trainer.

But a lot of the guys where I shoot steel run rimfire, so that may have influenced this decision lol

RichardTerp95

Jun 1, 2021
    That's part of the reason I'm looking at these and being picky about a threaded barrel, the bull barrels will look great with a suppressor attached.

I have Ruger MK IV's and love them. I've been shooting precision pistol for the last few months and they shoot much better than I'm capable of right now. One of the options for the MK IV Target comes from the factory with a threaded barrel & a very basic compensator. I've only ever seen it in the blued finish not stainless. I have one that Turnbull Restoration did a custom job on and you can't even see it's threaded unless you look really closely. You can always have someone crown and thread the barrel after market too. It's not that expensive.

As others have said I highly recommend the Volquartsen accurizing kit. Redoing the trigger, hammer and sear assembly along with tuning the bolt will run you about $150 if you do it yourself or they will install everything for you for $100. Turn around was about a week when I had mine done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom