• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ra66it

Shenanigans!
    Dec 28, 2013
    The Dena
    My apologies in advance if this is a repost. I'm using my phone at the moment and the search function is going crazy. As I indicated in another post, I'm new to reloading. I don't yet have a tumbler to polish/ clean my brass.
    My question:
    Is it acceptable to simply clean the brass in a mild degreaser/ cleaner and thoroughly dry it prior to depriming and sizing? I'm not too concerned with having shiny brass (at least not until I get my paws on a tumbler).

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Yes

You want to remove dirt and grit to save your dies. Beyond that, it is pure cosmetics.

paxfish

Ultimate Member
    Nov 11, 2008
    Culvert & Points West
    Yes - and this is the preferred cleaner. Available at Walmart. I use it for very old or really dirty brass before tumbling. But you don't have to tumble if you don't want to.

I like to clean the primer pockets as well, but some folks don't bother.

0070307422874_500X500.jpg

Ra66it

Shenanigans!
    Dec 28, 2013
    The Dena
    Thanks, Pinecone.

Pax, not to sound silly but, that appears to be a dishwasher additive... Do you put the brass in the dishwasher? Or just add that to the water you are cleaning the brass in?

Weber

USMC
    Oct 12, 2009
    Elkton, MD
    Get a tumbler, they are cheap. Even a harbor freight tumbler will work.

But, in the meantime you can just clean them.

Dirty brass and lube don't mix.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    All you need to clean brass is some water and some detergent (dishwashing detergent is fine). All you are doing is getting the dirt, grit, and grime off.

Lemonshine is used by people tumbling with SS pins.

Citric acid makes the brass brighter, but you are, over time, damaging the brass.

BTW there are two different things, Cleaning and Polishing.

Cleaning is remove dirt, grit, and grime, and powder residue. Polishing is making the brass shiny. Most methods do both at the same time.

CLEANING is necessary to prevent damage to your dies. Polishing makes the brass look nicer, but has no benefit to loading or shooting. But it sure looks pretty. :)

Ra66it

Shenanigans!
    Dec 28, 2013
    The Dena
    If you have a way of rotating your brass for trimming it (like for example the Lee Zip Trim or a cordless drill), you can also just use some 0000 steel wool or a steal a green scrubby pad from the old lady.

Thanks for this tip. I picked up some steal wool at the store and ran it over the brass in the drill chuck. It came out great...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom