• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Gotcha SG. At the moment there are several grendel but not 200 yet. Will let you know when finished sorting.

Well if you don't hit over 200 grendel cases, let me know as I'd probably be willing to drive to meet up with you (I am in north western Howard) somewhere in between. I mean, if it is like 14 cases, probably not...

Also 7.62x25 (Tokarev), 9x18 (Makarov) and 32acp I'd be interested in.

Just kind of depends on quantities for all of it of course :)

boule

Ultimate Member
    Oct 16, 2008
    Galt's Gulch
    Range pickings are quite a mixed bag for the reloader. Depending on the actual range and calibers prevalent there, it can be a gold mine or trash heap. If you are currently sorting by caliber, great.
    Price range goes from
    - unsorted brass
    - caliber sorted brass
    - caliber and brand sorted brass
    - brass in original box
    - once-fired in original box

Given my predicament for keeping anything valuable I have come across a bunch of things on the range. Starting from a 80% steel cased berdan primed batch (dumped) to 60+ pcs of 375 H&H.

You have been doing the right thing so far. Sort by caliber and sell in batches. If you notice a bunch of cases from a single manufacturer, you can also sort by headstamp. Sell common calibers in batches of 100 for headstamp sorted cases, you can do 500 pcs for mixed brass. Anything you do not recognize at once - put aside and look it up or ask. There is a bunch of expensive brass around that can be sold in smaller batches.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Mostly what everyone has been saying .

Sort by caliber . If blatantly large numbers of one brand , sort by headstamp for small premium .

Despite the naysayers , IF you have a tumbler , give them a quick tumble to knock off worst crud . Don't need to be mirror shiny . Don't bother to deprime .

Bag up , say 200 of 9mm ( or very common pistol ) , 100 of non .223 rifle , or less common pistol . Be prepared to give bulk pricing break for more than certain number of bags .

Flat Rate box USPS is a thing , also be open to " as many of X caliber that fit into a box .

amsmlmssml

Feb 2, 2012
    Northern Frederick County
    I just wanted to thank those that offered there advice. I really appreciate it. There are a bunch of great folks on this site with a wealth of knowledge.
    For those that showed interest in certain calibers, I will hopefully be listing available calibers on classified’s tomorrow.
    Thanks again!

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Bought a rather substantial pile of brass from amsmlmssml today. Stand-up dude, and the brass is in great shape from what I can tell. Deal with confidence!

Bought a rather substantial pile of brass from amsmlmssml today. Stand-up dude, and the brass is in great shape from what I can tell. Deal with confidence!

Looking at his classifieds, he actually listened to the advice in this thread- good for him and his good classified offerings. He understands that .45LC brass is worth more than .38 Special brass.
    I'm not in the market for anything posted, but his offerings are more than fair.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Looking at his classifieds, he actually listened to the advice in this thread- good for him and his good classified offerings. He understands that .45LC brass is worth more than .38 Special brass.
    I'm not in the market for anything posted, but his offerings are more than fair.
    I bought like... 1k+ 308, all the 357M, and all the 6.5 Grendel. Prices weren't rock-bottom, but for headstamp sorted brass, that's fine in my book. Need to put together some more 175gr 308 precision loads now. :)

bigmancrisler

2A Preacher
    Jun 4, 2020
    Martinsburg, WV
    How important is separating by caliber?

Depends on what is in that batch and for what person. I personally don’t care as I reload so many different calibers chances are I already load for it. Now someone who is only looking for 308 and 45 doesn’t want to sift through a bunch of 9mm. Or if someone is only looking for 9mm they don’t want a bunch of 380. So I would say it’s probably better to sort by caliber but some might not care.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    How important is separating by caliber?
    If you plan to reload it, pretty danged important I'd say. ;)

When I go to the range with multiple calibers, or scrounge brass somewhere, one of the first things I do with it when I get it is to separate it by caliber. With 45 ACP, I separate by large and small primer pockets. Some people go a step further and separate by headstamp. At the moment I don't do that because the majority of my reloading is done for blasting range fodder, so I'm not trying to dial in fine accuracy.

bigmancrisler

2A Preacher
    Jun 4, 2020
    Martinsburg, WV
    If you plan to reload it, pretty danged important I'd say. ;)

When I go to the range with multiple calibers, or scrounge brass somewhere, one of the first things I do with it when I get it is to separate it by caliber. With 45 ACP, I separate by large and small primer pockets. Some people go a step further and separate by headstamp. At the moment I don't do that because the majority of my reloading is done for blasting range fodder, so I'm not trying to dial in fine accuracy.

I agree with this, I dump all my brass into the tumbler then sort by caliber after it’s tumbled then I size each caliber one at a time then tumble again then sort into caliber buckets

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    I agree with this, I dump all my brass into the tumbler then sort by caliber after it’s tumbled then I size each caliber one at a time then tumble again then sort into caliber buckets

I somewhat separate before tumbling. It helps keep the 9mm brass out of the 45 brass

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I somewhat separate before tumbling. It helps keep the 9mm brass out of the 45 brass
    Yep - for me it usually depends on what I've got but I try to separate pistol calibers for that reason - smaller ones tend to get stuck in the larger. It's not a huge deal, but it does affect things some.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom