• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    Sehr gut! I bought a 1710 recently myself.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    Nice rifle but why did you cheap out on the scope? Kidding! Congrats!!

I was at Atlantic Guns in Silver Spring six or seven years ago, staring slack-jawed and clueless at their inventory of Schmidt Bender and Leica scopes, when Mark Schneider came up and asked if I had any questions. I was like, why are those scopes priced so high? He reached in the case and pulled out an SB and a Leica and told me to take a look. That pretty much explained it. Nothing compares to German glass for resolution.

Sehr gut! I bought a 1710 recently myself.

Congrats! Have you had a chance to shoot it yet? It's going to be a couple of long weeks before I can take mine out. How do you like it?

The Saint

Black Powder Nerd/Resident Junk Collector
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 10, 2021
    Baltimore County
    My first thought reading the thread header was a Marlin lever gun (Annie Oakley's choice)...but this one's a looker, too.

DeadInside

MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2022
    SOMD
    Congrats on a beautiful gun. That stock looks great!

Same here always wanted an Anschutz so I got a 1761 HB Thumbhole (two stage light trigger) last year. Also from Euro Optic but ordered it and shipped to my FFL for transfer. Would like to visit their store sometime but when I got mine they were scarce so just one (1761) in stock no chance to to pick the best looking stock. Mine is okay but not nearly as nice as what you were able to choose.

I appreciate the quality of German Optics (Steiner, Zeiss, Leica) but had to go a little more “budget oriented” on the scope so got a Vortex Diamondback 6-24x50 FFP and Talley rings.

I also recently bought a Steyr Zephyr II and put a Vortex HS 4-16x44 on it. Nice gun but the action is not nearly as smooth as the Annie…

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    Congrats on a beautiful gun. That stock looks great!

Same here always wanted an Anschutz so I got a 1761 HB Thumbhole (two stage light trigger) last year. Also from Euro Optic but ordered it and shipped to my FFL for transfer. Would like to visit their store sometime but when I got mine they were scarce so just one (1761) in stock no chance to to pick the best looking stock. Mine is okay but not nearly as nice as what you were able to choose.

I appreciate the quality of German Optics (Steiner, Zeiss, Leica) but had to go a little more “budget oriented” on the scope so got a Vortex Diamondback 6-24x50 FFP and Talley rings.

I also recently bought a Steyr Zephyr II and put a Vortex HS 4-16x44 on it. Nice gun but the action is not nearly as smooth as the Annie…

Thank you and welcome to MD Shooters. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

I looked at a 1761, 1710 and the very last 64 MPR they had in inventory last year. Couldn't swing any of them at the time but told myself, one of these days...I ended-up getting a Sako Quad Varmint.

I'm like you. I usually just order on the web site, and they ship to my FFL but I finally made the pilgrimage to Williamsport last year. It's not a huge place but the inventory is incredible, and the staff is friendly and professional. Totally worth the trip.

I like Vortex and Leupold scopes a lot but got spoiled by a Minox ZE5 I mounted on the Sako. I told myself that if I ever got an Anschutz, I'd put either a Schmidt Bender or a Leica on it. :)

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Rf1cCRC.jpg

Went with this scope from Leica. It's an ER 6.5-26x56 LRS with some of the most beautiful glass I have ever peered thru.

Honestly, I did not even know that Leica makes rifle scopes. I have always known them for their camera lenses.

toppkatt

Ultimate Member
    Apr 22, 2017
    Honestly, I did not even know that Leica makes rifle scopes. I have always known them for their camera lenses.

They make great rifle scopes, microscopes, binoculars anything with a lens, of course their mechanical abilities weren't shabby either (RE: Leica camers of which I had and used a III-C, III-F red dial and an M-3 double stroke with 35, 50 (dual focus range), 90 and 135mm lenses f2 Summicron ). Zeiss too is known for their quality lenses and film items (Contax camera) also Schneider lenses were all great. Jena was at one time THE pinnacle of lens making.

Last edited:

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016

I didn't either until I saw them at Atlantic Guns.

They make great rifle scopes, microscopes, binoculars anything with a lens, of course their mechanical abilities weren't shabby either (RE: Leica camers of which I had and used a C-III, 3F red dial and an M-3 double stroke with 35, 50 (dual focus range), 90 and 135mm lenses f2 Summicron ). Zeiss too is known for their quality lenses and film items (Contax camera) also Schneider lenses were all great. Jena was at one time THE pinnacle of lens making.

When I turned 16, my dad gave me his Retina/German Kodak 35mm camera that had a Schneider-Kreuznach 40mm lens. He bought it a few years after WW II. I carried it with me for 5+ years in the Army, in every type of inclement weather situation, and it took the most beautiful photos.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    MR9pFwa.jpg

beuHYk3.jpg

Just picked her up today. Made a last-minute change in optic from the Leica ER 6.5-26x56 LRS that I originally selected to a Zeiss Conquest V6 5-30x50. The (Schott) glass in the Zeiss was noticeably better than the Leica's. I also preferred having a little less magnification on the low end and a little more magnification on the high end, but the Schott glass in the Zeiss was the main reason. It's incredible. It completely outdid the Leica in terms of brightness and clarity.

I was going for an old-school look with this set-up, and I think I achieved it. If the weather gods cooperate this weekend, I'll try to see if it shoots as good as it looks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom