• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mikey6480

Aug 6, 2011
    I decided to buy a milled receiver today without much (if any) AK knowledge. Being familiar with AR building I thought, "how hard could it be"? Boy was I wrong. Doing a bunch of reading now (which I should have done up front) and really don't understand all the subtle (or maybe not so subtle) differences in the AK types.

I bought a CNC Warrior lower from Duffy's, and am going to be researching what parts kits I need along the way. I do not plan to assemble this myself, just plan to collect the parts and pay to have it assembled.

I know, everyone is going to say I should have just bought an AK and you are probably right. I look at this as an excellent learning experience though. Any help and advice you guys want to lend along the way is appreciated.

I'm looking to build a fixed stock, with light colored wood (I want to try and stain the wood to give it the blackwood look). Do you guys prefer all new parts or "parts kits" that are surplus that can be found all over?

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    the parts kits found all over aren't for milled receivers. the barrels are different.

finding a parts kit to work on that milled gig is gonna be tough. keep an eye on theakforum.net's classifieds. something will pop up eventually.

and no, yugo won't work.

TheDevilHimself

, Duffy's Gun Room
    Industry Partner
    Jul 15, 2011
    Sparks, MD
    We still have a few nice milled russian, bulgarian, and hungarian type 3 kits, let us know when you're ready to dive into the build after things calm down a bit.

mikey6480

Aug 6, 2011
    We still have a few nice milled russian, bulgarian, and hungarian type 3 kits, let us know when you're ready to dive into the build after things calm down a bit.

Thanks Vince. I'll probably just end up buying the kit from you and having your shop finish it for me. Gives me something to research in the meantime though.

TheDevilHimself

, Duffy's Gun Room
    Industry Partner
    Jul 15, 2011
    Sparks, MD
    No problem. You've got the receiver covered, you can wait out the right kit for your build. Spend some time, do some research, and feel free to ask questions. I'm still waiting out a few east german parts for a particular build I've had in mind for years...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom