• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MY225

Victoria Vel Servitus
    Jan 8, 2010
    OK, I'm looking to have a bolt carrier modified. I want it drilled and taped at one( or both?) of the gas release ports. The port would be larger and take a treadled inserts with an open center. The inserts would have different size openings in the center to expel gas at different rates(larger more/smaller less), along the lines of a power washer jet ends.

Any help or in information is welcomed.

Thanks,
    Mike

Last edited:

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    ar?

wouldnt this be more simple..? ;)
    396319.jpg

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    bolt carrier for what?

gas release ports, i'm guessing he wants to play with an ar bolt to try some gas port gas regulation thing instead of an adjustable gas block up front or different weight buffers. Seems by the time the bolt's gas rings have passed the gas vent holes most of the bolt's movement has already happened. I dunno :shrug:

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    Yup it's for an AR. Your right on the gas port regulation thing.

The bolt has already cycled out of battery by the time the gas ports become a factor in the system; it's not going to speed up or slow down the cycling of the carrier unless you move the vent holes forward or backward a millimeter or two. The volume and pressure of the gas entering the system is the key factor in the cycle speed and is a function of the dwell time between when the bullet passes the gas port hole in the barrel and when it exits the muzzle.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    The bolt has already cycled out of battery by the time the gas ports become a factor in the system; it's not going to speed up or slow down the cycling of the carrier unless you move the vent holes forward or backward a millimeter or two. The volume and pressure of the gas entering the system is the key factor in the cycle speed and is a function of the dwell time between when the bullet passes the gas port hole in the barrel and when it exits the muzzle.

I agree. There are many proven ways to alter the cyclic rate and pressures in your gas system... What if one of those "ports" worked loose and completely jammed your action? The BCG is the heart of the gun... really a good quality M16 bolt carrier is necessary to run your rifle well.

I'd recommend messing with buffer weights, action springs, gas regulators and gas port size before trying that personally... A LOT of things have been tried since the XM16/AR-15 has been around. I've never heard of this. The designers at Colt and other makers have tried countless things that never really caught on or proved to hurt more than they helped. Look at 1911s from 30 years ago... tons of things were tried that over time went out of fashion or were discovered to be unnecessary.

Ab_Normal

Ab_member
    Feb 2, 2010
    Carroll County
    Good luck on this project. The bolt carrier is probably almost as hard as most taps. The perfect recipe for a broken tap, muffed up carrier, and unfinished project.

I doubt you will find a 'business' that is willing to do this job for a nominal fee. Your best bet is to find someone with a milling machine and take them a few carriers and a box full of taps to try to get a good part.

RW2111

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Industry Partner
    Apr 2, 2012
    Hagerstown MD
    yea its gonna take a good bit of R/D to get a reliable piece interested to see what you come up with i myself really see no point in it dont fix it if it isnt broke just my 2cents... keep us posted on status..

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    Good luck on this project. The bolt carrier is probably almost as hard as most taps. The perfect recipe for a broken tap, muffed up carrier, and unfinished project.

I doubt you will find a 'business' that is willing to do this job for a nominal fee. Your best bet is to find someone with a milling machine and take them a few carriers and a box full of taps to try to get a good part.

I was actually thinking about the OP's idea this morning... the cylinder in the BC that the bolt rides back and forth in is likely a reamed/honed surface (never seen it made but because of its function and interfacing with the gas rings it would have to be, I imagine), and by milspec they are hard chromed. And I agree with your statement that the steel is pretty hard as well.

This sounds like a redesign from the ground up kind of thing... don't think you could retrofit that mod to a standard M16 type BC.

OP I'm not trying to rain on your idea, just like others pointing out the hurdles and we always ask the question "why do this". Sounds like a lot of effort for minimal gain, if any.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom