• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 04RWon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    50 rounds in a row of .300WM is making my shoulder hurt just thinking about it. I think the stoutest recoiling rifle I ever touched off a round on was a sporter weight .300 WM. If you're practicing that much, perhaps you should try a different sand bag rest arrangement to dampen the recoil. Are you shooting a heavy varmit contour barrel?

I just fold my backpack/rangebag to try and make it as tall as possible, the lean forward on the table. Its a thin barrel, wood stock. If i stand and put the rifle more on my chest it doesnt feel bad, but leaning over is how it gets me.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    I love everything about my savage 12ftr. Well somedays I don't like the target accutriger.

Awaiting mine to be transferred to my local FFL at the moment, taking too long!!! LOL

What trigger options are available wit the FTR?

VWTurbo

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2010
    Perry Hall
    here is the question for those in the know. I have a standard SPS and saw the hougue stock that comes on the aac-sd for a good price. The barrel that is standard on that rifle is a much bigger contour than the pencil barrel on mine. Can I use that stock as is before I upgrade the barrel? I know it is not a HS or even a B&C, but it is a good price if I can consider it as an upgrade over stock

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    Most sythetic stocks on the Rem 700s are made by Bell & Carlson. Some are made by HS precision, and there used to be a model made by Hogue - depends on which Rem 700 and what year.

I own 3 Rem 700s (one being a muzzleloader), and all are great shooters out of the box with no mods. Load a handload tailored to the rifle, and you will see a difference, and the true accuracy potential of the rifle. In fact I would do that before you start dropping any money, on stocks triggers etc. If you cannot get the rifle to shoot as you need - then consider it. That being said, there are far more stuff out on the market for the 700s then the Savages. My experience with Savage stuff, has not been the greatest - but I have not shot any of their more modern rifles- so maybe they have improved since.

You will find that the action is bedded, and usally the barrel is floated on a 700 -which is what you want unless its a model that uses a pillar bedding. Run a dollar bill under the barrel between the stock towards the forened, and you probably will find it will go all the way through on non pillar bedded.

As far as box mags - if they are a high cap - they can be a pain in the ass to shoot off of bags, because they protrude out of the bottom of the gun-unless your single feeding it. If its a blind/flush box mag- different story.For testing handloads (since you stated you reload) Id be inclined to use bags over a bipod, until you get your rifle round tested & proven. In the field or for target shooting - then go to your bi pod (conisder a Harris if you do!) Im partial to drop down floor plates on the 700's but that is me. You dont have to worry about forgettng a mag or losing it in the woods. Not mention if you are hunting in MD there is a capacity limit for deer rifles - so a high cap would do you no good there anyways. Its a bolt action gun not a spray and pray rifle - not sure why youd want a hi cap.

1time

Ultimate Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Baltimore, Md
    The hogue stock that comes on the AAC is horrible. Even hogged out it will touch the barrel with little effort. The factory DM model from Remington uses a different receiver. The mag system is sub par at best. If you want to go with the Remington get a non DM model and put an Accuracy International based mag system in when money permits.

For around $1000 Savage has a few models that are good to go right out of the box. You can also replace the barrel on a Savage yourself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom