• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    I have come to the conclusion that I want a SA revolver for hunting and woods carry. I have never owned a revolver but have shot a few. The new model blackhawk in 41 mag 6.5" has caught my eye. Anyone have any experince with one or using the 41 mag on whitetail?

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I have a 6.5 3screw , and a 6.5 scoped NM .

Excellent choice. 6.5in bbl feels better balanced than a 7.5in (to me) , let still has decent sight radius and vels. I am a big fan of 3 Screws , but this is a good combination.

The good news is the 41 has same energy , flatter trajectory , and about 10% less recoil.

There are actually more factory loads now than ever before, but that's a relative thing. They aren't on every street corner , and will never be on sale at WalMart.

The .41 is essentially a handloaders ctg. It is excellent for that, and is wonderfully versatile. While I like the .41 among others , my #1 shooting and handloading partner is a True Believer. Until recently it was his only big bore revolver , and he has a Marlin to match. He has loads for them up to a stomping cast 265 gr .I use it to fill a niche.

If you are not inclined to handload , you will be happier with a different cal. Next best (most similar) choices would be .45Colt or .44 Mag or Spl . Off the top of my head neither comes from Ruger with a 6.5in , so then a tossup between 5.5in or 7.5in .

Bootknife

Ultimate Member
    Good advice from bigfoot ,I have a Model 25 S&W in .45 Colt and Ruger Redhawk in .44 Mag and I guess if I could only own one it would be a difficult choice.I hand load so I have a lot of Flexibility.If I did'nt HL I would take the .44 as You can shoot .44 Special and .44 Magnum.The S&W Moutain Gun is also one of My favs for carry!

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    Well I picked one up yesterday from Constituitional Firearms at a great price. It shoots great and is very accurate. Sorry for the cell phone pic I will take some real pics later today and post em up.
    IMAG0065.jpg

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    Congrats. I have an early 3 screw .41mag. Yes, they will put a white tail deer down with a well placed shot. I shot an 8 point with mine and it went down so fast you would have thought someone yanked the ground out from under him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom