• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    At Westminster High School, a year or two ago, the school went on lockdown because a black bear was wandering around the school courtyard then parking lot. Helluva thing to get as a notification.

ChrisD

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    Conowingo
    Young bears seeking a new territory is certainly not new. But in the last few years it seems as though they are moving into areas that would have been pretty rare in the past. But maybe it’s been like that forever just now, with more security cameras, cell phone cameras, and social media, it just appears to be more prevalent.
    Either way, I think it’s pretty cool. Now if those PA elk, and the elk that are now in WV would just meet up in MD.:D

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    One was hit and killed on 395 by the Pentagon last week. (I'm sure this is old news to you all, but I didn't see it here)

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    Couple days ago one ran across all the lanes of rt81 both north and southbound just south of the Potomac river bridge. Lots of smoke from hard braking and some evasive maneuvering but he made it all the way across and no accidents were caused. Our 75lb silver lab keeps chasing one off every couple of days that likes to get into the berry patch behind the chicken coop. He would probably try to play with it if he ever caught it lol.

JKrew

Jul 2, 2008
    I moved to the Frederick area a few years ago and am in the Catoctin mountains on the various trails weekly. I've heard there are plenty of bears there, but I hadn't been able to see any until now. I finally got my first sighting this past week at Catoctin Mountain Park, and it was a huge black bear!

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Saw our first of the year(little guy), there will be more if history repeara itself

Attachments

• 20240706_095111.jpg
      20240706_095111.jpg
      331.1 KB · Views: 11

eabiker1

Jun 9, 2022
    Frederick, MD
    I moved to the Frederick area a few years ago and am in the Catoctin mountains on the various trails weekly. I've heard there are plenty of bears there, but I hadn't been able to see any until now. I finally got my first sighting this past week at Catoctin Mountain Park, and it was a huge black bear!
    My son and I ran across a mother and four cubs last summer while mountain biking the Blue trail in the watershed. We were blasting down a steep rocky trail when we saw the cubs scrambling up from a fire pond, then crossing the trail. My son actually rode between the mom and three cubs, (it all happened so fast), as the mom stood up at the edge of the trail. I skidded to a stop as the fourth cub ran up the hill, and then it climbed a small tree not twenty feet from me and started crying. I was thinking, "No! don't do that!" as I watched the mother moving towards the cub. Fortunately, the cub climbed down and ran off when it saw the mother. I would take the rattlers that surprise us up there any day over the feeling I got from the bears

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    As dry as it's been watch out for rattlers out there! They'll be moving looking for water.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    shatter

Latest threads

Top Bottom