• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Oledirteh

MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2011
    Union Bridge md
    Canada is rough

The Liberal government's gun-control bill passed a final vote in the Senate on Thursday, clearing the way for it to become law.

Bill C-21 was introduced in May 2022, but faced legislative hurdles after a Liberal MP introduced a number of controversial amendments that gun advocacy groups and opposition parties fervently opposed and forced the government to walk back.

The legislation will cement a freeze on handgun sales, increase penalties for firearm trafficking and try to curb homemade "ghost" guns.

The bill also seeks to ban assault-style firearms that fall under a new technical definition. The government had proposed a more stringent definition, but dropped a number of amendments to the bill in February after facing backlash.

Those amendments would have banned assault style weapons under the Criminal Code, rather than through regulation, and would have included any rifle or shotgun that could accept a magazine with more than five rounds — whether it actually has such a magazine or not.

Firearms advocates said including those rules in the bill would have effectively banned a number of popular hunting rifles.

While PolySeSouvient — a gun control advocacy group which includes survivors of the 1989 mass shooting at Montreal's Ecole Polytechnique — criticized the government for dropping those amendments, it welcomed the passage of Bill C-21 on Thursday.

Last edited:

MattFinals718

Nov 23, 2022
    Arlington, VA
    It's really funny to me that so many Democrats in this country used to point to Canada as the gun control model that they wanted to achieve in this country. And now here's Trudeau deciding that the existing laws (very strict by U.S. standards) weren't strict enough and that they needed more infringements on gun owners' rights.

I do think it's interesting that Trudeau disregarded the warnings of countless LEOs in Canada who advised that legal guns are not the problem, and that this bill won't have any effect on the use of illegal firearms by gangs in Canada's worst cities. But Trudeau basically admitted last year that his real objective with Bill C-21 is to prevent gun owners as a voting bloc from becoming as large as they are in the U.S., at which point, there will no longer be a public mandate to do what he's doing now. I feel sympathy for the gun owners in Canada that I know, though I haven't talked to any of them about this yet. Unfortunately, the handgun ownership rate over there is far too low compared to this country for them to be able to fight something like this, even if their Constitution supported them.

Oh, and words cannot describe my hatred for Trudeau right now. He is one of the most evil human beings that I've ever seen, a true elitist if I have ever seen one. May the universe give him cancer someday.

MattFinals718

Nov 23, 2022
    Arlington, VA
    Fvck Canada, haven for traitors and cowards.

Fact. I often joke that Trump was building a wall on the wrong border.

Canada is still one of our closest allies in the world. I know folks there (from other firearms message boards) who are very upset about this. Unfortunately, gun owners as a voting bloc in Canada are far too small to fight legislation like this, and they don't have a right to bear arms in their Constitution.

I do hope that Trudeau will go down in flames. He's honestly one of the most despicable human beings I've ever seen hold public office, for so many reasons besides this.

GenoBluzGtr

Mar 23, 2018
    This is what happens when your founding fathers don't enshrine rights in a binding document. Even WITH that, we are still fighting hard battles to retain those rights. Imagine where we would be without the Second Amendment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom