Best way for a New buyer of regulated firearm to take delivery before HQL on Oct 1?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thai

May 8, 2013
    My wife has never purchased a regulated firearm. I purchased several in the last month but forgot to let her do paper work on the Ruger LC9 that I primarily got for her. Now it may be too late to order another regulated firearm for her to be process before Oct.1. I was thinking of maybe just ordering some stripped lowers for her quickly to beat the deadline.

My second plan is to just go to a MSP and have her take legal ownership of the LC9. Wait 7 seven days and the transfer would be completed.

What do you guys think? How do you guys intend to help facilitate a family member to acquire a requlated firearm before the HQL requirement?

aireyc

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Buy at a dealer that's releasing after 8 days without any other hoops. There are lists elsewhere on the forum of those dealers.

2AHokie

Dec 27, 2012
    District - 9A
    The only thing that owning a regulated item prior to 10/1 does is exempt you from the training requirement of the HQL. You (or her) will still be required to obtain a HQL for any future handgun purchases and that means you (or her) will still have to pay the HQL fee and you (or her) will still be fingerprinted.

I only mention this because if your plan is to transfer to her and then buy again later for yourself thinking you will be fully exempt from the HQL, you will wind up getting fingerprinted and paying the HQL fee on any handgun purchase after 10/1. The training requirement is not likely to be cheap or readily available so if you're just trying to exempt her from the training portion, either of your ideas (transfer at barracks or stripped lowers) would work.

I would do as aireyc suggested and make your wife's purchase at a dealer that is releasing on time (day 8). Your wife might need to become a designated collector to satisfy the dealer's day 8 release requirement, but the DC application is free (you might have to pay $1 to have it notarized if your bank doesn't offer that service for free) and is processed substantially faster than other MSP paperwork.

thai

May 8, 2013
    Actually, it is the nebulous training requirement I was speaking of. I mispoke and said HQL.

The DC doesn't seem to be a sure thing anymore. The wait time is now pushing up to 2.5 months now.

I will just do the MSP barracks as a last resort if I do not purchase another regulated firearm by September. I wouldn't mind doing this for other family members. I got enough to keep this game going fora long time to screw MOM and his MSP monkeys.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    While it's not the same thing as saying how long a DC application submitted today will take , the one I recently received took aprox 6 weeks.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    If my guns are joint communal property, which is the case, wouldn't this mean she already she owns a regulated firearm? Might need some clarification from the MSP on this issue.

thai

May 8, 2013
    I think any paperwork to prove that fact on demand would clarify alot of issues. We all know how effective the government and the police are with their understanding of laws.

"I am from the government, I'm here to help! " This doesn't make me warm and fuzzy all over!

Mr H

Banana'd
    Just found this on mdgunsafety.com

Hope it helps someone

Can the transfer of a regulated firearm be conducted between two family members?
    Yes, this type of transaction is considered a gift. The law stipulates, if the regulated firearm is a gift to the purchaser’s, spouse, parent, grandparent, grandchild, sibling, or child, the recipient shall:
    (1) Complete an application to purchase or transfer a regulated firearm; and
    (2) Forward the application to the Secretary of the State Police within 5 days after receipt of the regulated firearm.

Charles Guggenheimer

MSI Executive Member
    Jun 19, 2005
    Seven Valleys PA
    Just found this on mdgunsafety.com

Can the transfer of a regulated firearm be conducted between two family members?
    Yes, this type of transaction is considered a gift. The law stipulates, if the regulated firearm is a gift to the purchaser’s, spouse, parent, grandparent, grandchild, sibling, or child, the recipient shall:
    (1) Complete an application to purchase or transfer a regulated firearm; and
    (2) Forward the application to the Secretary of the State Police within 5 days after receipt of the regulated firearm.

Hope it helps someone

I'm a PA resident. I have family members who own no regulated firearms in Maryland. Can I do this type of transfer at any MSP barracks?

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    NO. Interstate transfers of regulated firearms must go through an MD FFL.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    If my guns are joint communal property, which is the case, wouldn't this mean she already she owns a regulated firearm? Might need some clarification from the MSP on this issue.

Most likely, MD will base it on processed 77r forms. So if none of the firearms went though a background check in her name, they will probably require the course.

Best would be for her to buy a new regulated firearm now. Second best would be to transfer one to her via MSP, so she is in the system. I would do it as a face to face transfer and pay the $10. That way, they run her through the ND process.

A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012
    I'm a PA resident. I have family members who own no regulated firearms in Maryland. Can I do this type of transfer at any MSP barracks?

No, it only works for transfers between Maryland residents. Transfers across state lines require you to go through an FFL.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ObsidianCC

Latest threads

Top Bottom