Best pro-gun comment I've read in a long time.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Hopefully this will become a collection of excellent, well reasoned responses to common anti-gun articles and attacks.
    Please quote the source article if you post here. I'll start, found this comment at the end of a vicious anti-gun attack on the NRA (source is at the end):

0000142289-blog00294-004.jpg

"Bravo for tackling a tough topic. I agree with you that the NRA's video is over the top, if not a stupid argument altogether.

I am a US citizen, and I do not own a gun. Neither am I a member of the NRA.

Here's the problem - The 2nd Amendment to the US Constitution allows for citizens to own a firearm. The Supreme Court has ruled multiple times on this...

http://patriotpost.us/perspective/6265/print
    http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,372041,00.html

A history of the 2nd Amendment challenges and rulings can be found here...

http://civilliberty.about.com/od/guncontrol/a/Second-Amendment-History.htm

Two of the most important are the ones listed in the first two links, voted on in 2008 and 2010.

Here's an excerpt that caused some confusion and needed clarification:

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

The Supreme Court ruled that ordinary citizens have the right to own guns, whether they are enlisted in a militia or not.

They also ruled that individual States do not have the authority, just as the Federal government does not, to ban guns.

Without a new amendment that changes this, the US Constitution will always allow citizens the right to own a gun. Does this mean that the average citizen should be entitled to military style assault weapons and high ammo magazines? This is the current topic, and there are multiple ways of looking at it depending upon your point of view.

On one side you have a group of very passionate gun enthusiasts. These are the nut-jobs you see on television and YouTube claiming that Obama/Liberals/Democrats are trying to take their guns away, and the only way that will happen is if you pry these weapons from their cold dead hands.

On another side you have a group that believes guns kill people, and the less we have in our country the better off we are. They have no problem with any new laws that would limit or control guns.

Somewhere in the middle, which is where most Americans seem to be, they understand that the 2nd Amendment was established for a reason. That reason goes beyond personal protection. The 2nd Amendment exists to help keep our government in check.

Let me explain...

When the Bill of Rights was first proposed in 1791(the 2nd Amendment is part of this), it was to enhance The United States Constitution, implemented four years earlier to replace the Articles of Confederation. Many state representatives distrusted the idea of a large centralized government that had the ability to raise an army. They were concerned that Federal rights would take away State or individual rights. The Bill of Rights addressed this issue by spelling out what rights individuals had, that the new (bigger/central/Federal)government could not take away.

In essence, if the Federal government became oppressive then they would have to disregard these rights.

You can see where some people might be a little anxious about the government telling them what guns, if any, they are allowed to own.

I understand the feelings on just about every side of this argument. As I mentioned, I don't own a gun. However, I would be the first person in line at the gun store if it came to a nationwide ban on guns.

A government that does not fear its people is a government that our Founding Fathers did not want.

My two cents, for what it's worth." - KD Rush

Source: http://scottswrittenwords.blogspot.com/2013/01/nra-proposals-new-low-in-misdirection.html

Last edited:

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Nearly 200 folks have read this and no one has posted yet?

I've obviously messed up here, sorry. The idea is there are dozens of gun related articles posted every single day in America; many are neutral, but many take one side or the other... ___ ...

I find that OVERWHELMINGLY the comments that are the most lucid and best articulated are from pro-gun individuals. To this day I have not found a single convincing argument as to why law abiding citizens should turn in their firearms and let criminals/brute force take over.

This thread is a place to post some of the best 'pro-gun' responses.

If we can gather a health collection of the best responses to the most common myths, misunderstandings, and fallacies; many of these great responses will eventually become our collective narrative against the lunacy of a surrender doctrine.

Post the best comments you find. :)

Here's another:

"54 of 64 Colorado county sheriffs, 84%, are filing a federal lawsuit today to throw out the Democrat's new Colorado gun control laws. Why? Because real lawmen know these laws are unconstitutional and unenforceable. They were written in New York by screwball NYC mayor Michael Bloomberg and pushed by Obama/Biden in Colorado because they wanted a "test case" outside of the Northeast for their radical gun control agenda. Well, they got it, thanks to a sellout by the Colorado Democrat Party, and now the Democrats, including Governor Hickenlooper, are going to pay the price by losing their jobs and this lawsuit." - Silverspruce
    Source: http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog...-shows-support-recall-anti-gun-colo-democrat/

Maketa_Sheriff_Clips_1365016316723_396051_ver1.0_320_240.jpg

T'Challa

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 24, 2013
    Wakanda
    Nearly 200 folks have read this and no one has posted yet?

I've obviously messed up here, sorry. The idea is there are dozens of gun related articles posted every single day in America; many are neutral, but many take one side or the other... ___ ...

I find that OVERWHELMINGLY the comments that are the most lucid and best articulated are from pro-gun individuals. To this day I have not found a single convincing argument as to why law abiding citizens should turn in their firearms and let criminals/brute force take over.

This thread is a place to post some of the best 'pro-gun' responses.

See my signature for my response. Supreme Court Justice C. Thomas' statement underscores the origin of gun control in America. What we see now with new gun laws is just the chicken coming home to roost.

netcentry

Apr 30, 2013
    Baltimore, MD
    I agree with the KD Rush article. But its not just about keeping the government in check. Its the security of the people of a free state and that starts with the individuals and their home, because without a secured home, with a secured family, without a secured individual, there is no security of the people.

mranaya

Task Force Sunny, 2009
    Jun 19, 2011
    Hanover MD
    Minuteman,
    Great article. Those in opposition have no idea why it is important that we retain the right to bear arms. They are far too comfortable and assume no one, in particular their government, intends them any harm. They see violence as something in our distant past that we have overcome and do not understand that this country is just over 236 years old--an infant. We have not begun to see all that will be thrown at us, from outside our borders and from positions of power within our borders. Disarming citizens, counter to an aspect of our rights that gives strength to this country, is a travesty, and a dangerous one. Our Constitution is being dismantled incrementally through a combination of ignorance and malicious intent. Those sheriffs, and those who appeared in Annapolis even if to be ignored, are the Jeffersons, Franklins, Washingtons, Madisons, Henrys and Hamiltons of our times.

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    This is a nice write up. The problem I have is that the people who will take the time to read it - already understand it. And these people are not the problem, even if they disagree.

Most of the anti's I come across are so ignorant, that their response is something along the lines of "what part of well-regulated don't you get?" or "You can't own an ICBM so why an AR?" There is just no reasoning with or educating these people.

I support the idea of creating a sticky with simple fact-based counterpoints to the anti's "points."

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    "On one side you have a group of very passionate gun enthusiasts. These are the nut-jobs you see on television and YouTube claiming that Obama/Liberals/Democrats are trying to take their guns away, and the only way that will happen is if you pry these weapons from their cold dead hands."

Yes, well, Senator Feinstein, as well as any number of people in positions of power, have made this intention clear. To call people responding to these articulated threats from power "nut jobs" is perhaps uncalled-for.

Further, it cannot be argued that guns do not kill people. Of course they do, when so utilised. Automobiles, ladders, fists and swimming pools also kill people.

The difference is, of course, that one of the design purposes of firearms is to kill. This is where some people come off the rails. Instead of contemplating that firearms are an equalising counter-force technology that works to protect the weak from the strong, people will seize upon the thought that killing is, for ever and always, a Bad Thing.

Of course, it would be nice if that were both true and a universally followed precept. Human nature being what it is, it is not, nor will it ever be so. Biblical injunctions, poorly translated, change "Thou shalt not murder" into "Thou shalt not kill", and weak-minded dreamers prefer to believe in Universal Love, rather than in the existence of evil.

Again a lovely concept, which has no place in a world where we must, in fact, kill to eat. (Not that eating is evil, you understand; it's just that survival is based on the fact that life must perforce take other life, merely to survive from one day to the next.)

Refusing to recognise the fact that there are those who would harm others to better their own place is at best short-sighted and an incredibly blinkered outlook on reality. It speaks volumes for our innate civility that people who adopt that view can survive among us.

mranaya

Task Force Sunny, 2009
    Jun 19, 2011
    Hanover MD
    Yahoo news

This is a nice write up. The problem I have is that the people who will take the time to read it - already understand it. And these people are not the problem, even if they disagree.

Well said. I spend most of my time fighting antis through online news sites. My Yahoo mail account advertises current news articles from several sources. Each article, regardless of the original media sources, lets Yahoo account holders respond. This way, we get to preach to more than the converted MDS members. However, I have to say that I am surprised by the overwhelming number of pro-gun commenters. The antis are in short supply and typically get pummeled. Anti-gun commenters, overwhelmingly only respond with insults, bumper-sticker generalities, and emotional pleas. This sometimes makes it too easy, but it is outside of our firewalls.

To your comment on talking points, here is a starter that has been floating around MDS. We printed up a stack of these and handed them out in Annapolis a couple of times: http://rkba.org/research/smith/GunControlBrochure6.pdf

mranaya

Task Force Sunny, 2009
    Jun 19, 2011
    Hanover MD
    Found one less apparent but appropriate quote:

"If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?"
    - Frédéric Bastiat

RavensFan11

May 28, 2013
    Timonium
    "The difference is, of course, that one of the design purposes of firearms is to kill. This is where some people come off the rails. Instead of contemplating that firearms are an equalizing counter-force technology that works to protect the weak from the strong, people will seize upon the thought that killing is, for ever and always, a Bad Thing."

This is one of the best articulated reasons for guns that I have read in a long time....really well written and the logic is, pardon the pun, bullet proof!

Keystone70

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    HoCo
    Excellent articles and comments. Do not worry about antis. They aren't going to read or listen. The real audience is the large middle that is still open to debate. These are who need to be addressed in a logical and factual manner. Chest thumping is not going to do it

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk 2

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ObsidianCC

Latest threads

Top Bottom