• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LexTalionis926

Jan 4, 2013
    I am anxiously awaiting my call for my early release of my Spikes bare lower from Gun Connection and I have started piecing the rest of my build together. I have a PSA MOE lower build kit on the way, my BCM mod 3 charging handle and I am meeting up with a fellow MDS member for a BCM upper tomorrow. I now need a barrel that is not astronomically expensive. I plan on using this gun as a short range tactical weapon, I already have another AR with a nice scope, bipod etc on it for long range fun.

With that being said I don't need anything that would be used for match grade shooting or competition use or anything like that. I want to do a low profile gas block and a 13" rail system with picatinny rails on all 4 sides. Any recommendations for the last few parts I need would be greatly appreciated, and if they were in stock that would be even better!

Thanks a ton guys!

Last edited:

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Someone has a lightly used Daniel Defense barrel in the classifieds. That'd be your best bet. As for the other stuff not real sure

lennyk

Jan 11, 2013
    Woodbine
    Daniel defense, bravo company are all very good barrels. High end barrels Krieger, Lilja, walther lothar. Remember to stick with the legal overall length of 16 inches. There is debate over gas system length, many prefer mid length system with 16 barrel, carbine with 14.5 barrel. The dwell times of these are the same as the rifle (20 inch barrel). So a carbine length gas system with a 16 barrel generates more dwell time and more gas pressure.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I'll bite. Since you already said this is for short range only , and didn't need target grade accuraccy , what are your particular parameters ?

Is there some reason somthing basic like Palmetto State would meet your needs ?

SoMD_Gen4

Apr 16, 2013
    SoMD
    Small technicality from the original post, we as a community need to stop reffering to "early releases". There is no such thing. FFLs could lose a license over an "early release". Some FFLs are gracious enough to participate in the "8-day release" but that is not considered early...

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Could someone give me the breakdown on the difference between these 2 options? I like the look of al 3 but what would work best for my short range tactical build. The prices aren't bad!

Option 1

http://palmettostatearmory.com/inde...per-without-bcg-or-charging-handle-13697.html

Option 2

http://palmettostatearmory.com/inde...per-without-bcg-or-charging-handle-13169.html

Option 3

http://palmettostatearmory.com/inde...led-upper-without-bcg-or-charging-handle.html
    Of those choices I would go with a hammer forged bbl, but honestly, for a short range tactical rifle, you don't need a big $$$ bbl ;)

johnnyb2

Ultimate Member
    Apr 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    For what you state your needs are, almost any barrel on here will do. As well as a BCM, Spikes, RRA, DelTon, DPms, but of the 3 you list, the middle one is what I would recommend. WHy...well

A CHF barrel is definitely the best, but, best for what. Unless you get a PRECISION BARREL=stainless, most CMV barrels, chrome lined, either CHF or not, will deliver between a 1.5 -2.5 MOA @ 100 yds. A CHF will LAST LONGER than the others, but, otherwise, its somewhat of an overkill for what 85% of owners on here need/want. A CHF is supposed to 20K rounds. Now, that's about $12K inn cost for ammo. Do you plan on spending $12,000 on ammo in shooting your gun. I doubt it :-). Most guys will never even shoot 3500 rounds out of their rifle. A CMV barrel is rated for 10-12K rounds, which again, most will NEVER shoot our of their AR. But with the PSA, BCM, Spikes, RRA CMV barrels, you are getting a quality barrel for a decent price. I thought you had said that you already have an upper. If so, you should be able to get a good barrel for your needs for around $200 or less. No need to spend more, unless you A.) Plan to go into battle with it B.) Realistically think you will shoot 15-20K rounds or C.) want to brag about how nice a barrel you have :-)

Just a few thoughts, as remember, a barrel is very important to accuracy, but so is the TRIGGER SYSTEM and the SIGHTING SYSTEM, and the shooter.

Damn....now where is that popcorn, and the butter :-)

dev

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2011
    For what you state your needs are, almost any barrel on here will do. As well as a BCM, Spikes, RRA, DelTon, DPms, but of the 3 you list, the middle one is what I would recommend. WHy...well

A CHF barrel is definitely the best, but, best for what. Unless you get a PRECISION BARREL=stainless, most CMV barrels, chrome lined, either CHF or not, will deliver between a 1.5 -2.5 MOA @ 100 yds. A CHF will LAST LONGER than the others, but, otherwise, its somewhat of an overkill for what 85% of owners on here need/want. A CHF is supposed to 20K rounds. Now, that's about $12K inn cost for ammo. Do you plan on spending $12,000 on ammo in shooting your gun. I doubt it :-). Most guys will never even shoot 3500 rounds out of their rifle. A CMV barrel is rated for 10-12K rounds, which again, most will NEVER shoot our of their AR. But with the PSA, BCM, Spikes, RRA CMV barrels, you are getting a quality barrel for a decent price. I thought you had said that you already have an upper. If so, you should be able to get a good barrel for your needs for around $200 or less. No need to spend more, unless you A.) Plan to go into battle with it B.) Realistically think you will shoot 15-20K rounds or C.) want to brag about how nice a barrel you have :-)

Just a few thoughts, as remember, a barrel is very important to accuracy, but so is the TRIGGER SYSTEM and the SIGHTING SYSTEM, and the shooter.

I concur, It's better to have a balanced approach for accuracy.
    Any of the standard mil spec barrels, the ones mentioned above are more then good enough. I would spend the rest on a quality trigger. I would also try various weighted buffers and springs to find the right timing.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Agree on the chrome lined as well, unless you are a serious shooter, the non lined bbls will tend to be more accurate and work just fine! I have 3 bbls in 556/223, two are SST and one is unlined (my tac rifle). I did a moly/lube bore treatment to that one.

wesser1

Dec 19, 2012
    Havre de Grace
    I'm working on building a DMR (AR-15 5.56). Anyone have any suggestions on a barrel for me? I've been thinking I should go with a 20" but others have said that won't necessarily make my firearm more accurate.

LexTalionis926

Jan 4, 2013

VERY informative. Thanks for all of the information. Now the hunt for the barrel starts!

Pmbspyder

Platinum Member
    Apr 12, 2012
    Paperwork on my lower and S&W M&P 40 submitted 5-31. Picked up today. :)

Woah woah woah. You're talking about Gun Connection? Are we sure this is the IP in white marsh? Sorry to derail he thread but please confirm if this is true.

Oh, and bcm are hard to beat. Also heard the new mossberg barrels are ****

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom