• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shemp

Feb 21, 2013
    Out There
    My girlfriend recently told me she is interested in getting a handgun. I know it will be a serious pain for her to get one after the new law takes affect. Only problem is, she doesn't have much money to spend right now (max is under $400). Should she try to get one now or wait till after October when she can afford a better gun? Also if you recommend getting getting one now, what would you recommend for 400 or less (the less the better, but good quality/reliable)

Scott's Gunsmithing in Glen Burnie just got in 40 used S&W SW9VE each 2 mags and a case. I believe he is pricing them at $300 ea. You can call and confirm price.

watts

Jun 17, 2013
    moco
    I would also look to buy used to expand your options. I'd check out some of the IP's, most of them always have something used.

BDWMS

Feb 21, 2013
    Howard County
    She should definitely buy and take possession before October 1st. Take her to the range and rent a bunch of guns. See what she likes to shoot. Hopefully an IP has what she likes in stock. You can transfer something bought online but transfer fees can eat up a lot of your budget.

I bought a used P95 (stainless/black) for $350 from Constitutional Firearms (IP here). They were great to work with and release on time (8 days). For what it's worth, the Smith and Wesson SD9VE was high on my list of potential guns and at $300, the price is right...

SmithWesson66

Feb 28, 2009
    My take. If you are going to spend $400, you might as well spend $500-600 and get a better gun. When you factor in ammo, extra 10+ capacity mags, range, targets, ears/eyes, cleaning supplies and the list goes on, gun ownership winds up costing a lot more than the cost of the gun. Get something good before Oct 1st with a bunch of over 10 capacity mags and be done with it, and save the other goodies(ammo over bare minimum) until later.

Glock 19, XD/XDM, M&P, maybe a CPO Sig. Ruger SR9 is less expensive, but still very high quality. I think the FNP9 comes with 3 mags which is a nice bonus.

Actually FNP-9 might be a great fit for a lower price point. Made in VA. Might be able to find deals local as well.
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=350385647
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=352792861

TWM

Jul 4, 2013
    Howard Co
    This is actually a great first gun for a female. Don't buy into people telling you a woman should have a dinky little "pocket" pistol.

I agree...very solid gun for a great price. Best of all for your purposes, my wife really likes it because the slide is very easy for her to rack.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jtlambo

Latest threads

Top Bottom