• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • johnkn

Ultimate Member
    Feb 27, 2012
    Greetings,

Just picked up a new M4 as another house gun. I haven't gone through the USMC manual of arms I picked up, but had a question. I initially thought I would store it with the mag full charged thinking that a quick cycle of the bolt and I'd be good to go. Seems that's not the case with a m4,that I would need to either hit the shell elevator release or drop a shell into the chamber, then cycle the bolt. Wondering how others are storing their defensive M4. Thanks

johnkn

Ultimate Member
    Feb 27, 2012
    I see now that I can cycle the action to cock the gun, load the mag, then pull the trigger on the empty chamber (a little scary). I should then be able to cycle the action to cock the gun and load the chamber, right. Thanks

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    I was screwing around. If it helped in some weird ass way, then you're welcome. In my opinion a pump gun will run and function no matter what. I don't trust semi-automatic shotguns(lack of experience). The / thread thing is a smart aleck way of saying "no need for further discussion as I have just provided the penultimate answer"

platoonDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    SouthOfBalto
    Greetings,

Just picked up a new M4 as another house gun. I haven't gone through the USMC manual of arms I picked up, but had a question. I initially thought I would store it with the mag full charged thinking that a quick cycle of the bolt and I'd be good to go. Seems that's not the case with a m4,that I would need to either hit the shell elevator release or drop a shell into the chamber, then cycle the bolt. Wondering how others are storing their defensive M4. Thanks

You have a weapon that will never cycle a round from the magazine by manually cycling the bolt. The reason, assume you have slugs in the: chamber, lifter and magazines. You then have a tactical situation where you need to load a door buster. When you pull the charging handle twice the round from the chamber and lifter will be ejected. Then load the door buster round into the chamber and lifter.

If it is being used for home defense: one in the chamber and one on the lifter. On the other hand, some leave the chamber empty with one on the lifter and then pull the charging handle (rack) to load the round into the chamber. The racking sound is one of the many defensive shotgun myths, just too many assumptions. If you have to rack at the start of the encounter you have a empty chamber or are ejecting a round. If you want to use a sound to intimidate, friggin scream verbal commands or open up.

Love my M4 and would strongly recommend you join the Benelli USA forum, many "pros-from-Dover" there. Have made modifications to mine and the "Anatomy of the Benelli M4" manual was a GREAT source. Over 108 color pages and detailed information of changing out any item, the only down-side: it is only sold in PDF format and the seller has it print protected. Price is great for $40. http://www.benelliusa.com/forum/showthread.php/28449-Anatomy-of-the-Benelli-M4-Super-90

Benelli USA forum:
    http://www.benelliusa.com/forums/

BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011
    Chamber empty, one in the lifter. I'm assuming can pull the bolt back quickly enough if I need to.

MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    For home defense I have a Benelli Montefeltro with a 21" barrel (semi-auto). It doubles as my hunting gun by swapping in a 28" barrel. I keep mine fully loaded, with the safety off.

If someone is stupid enough to enter my home after hearing my large dog barking at them, they don't deserve the courtesy a pump shotgun's slide being racked. The next and last thing they will hear and feel is the surprise of multiple rounds going off in rapid succession.

johnkn

Ultimate Member
    Feb 27, 2012
    Thanks guys, greatly appreciated. I'll spend a few hours with the gun today stripping and reassembling it a several times to be come familiar wth it. And thanks for the Benelli link...

John

platoonDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    SouthOfBalto
    Thanks guys, greatly appreciated. I'll spend a few hours with the gun today stripping and reassembling it a several times to be come familiar wth it. And thanks for the Benelli link...

John

If you do add larger magazine, C-Stock etc., ensure you are 922 (r) compliant.

http://freedomfightertactical.com/922r-faq/

Brownells has a great schematic of the M4, just click and presto the part name will appear, of course with the stock # when ordering from Brownells.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=0/sid=916/schematicsdetail/M4

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    alfontso

Latest threads

Top Bottom