Benelli M3 clones! (Turknelli M3, SDS Duo-Sys, Tristar Tec-12)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Tac-12 for a Duo-Sys is a "more than your money back" trade.

Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    Well, I've taken my Duo-Sys out twice, and have to say, I am a little disappointed in the function. The pump works fine, the semiauto, not so much. I have run about 80 rounds of Federal #8 Top Gun 1240fps and none of them would cycle the action. The best we were getting was about a 2/3 extraction. The bolt feels a little tight towards the end, so it may need some lapping at the end area. The manual did say 100 rounds, but I don't think 20 more rounds will loosen it up (maybe another 75-100 rounds to wear the bolt rails down). I had an AR15 with a tight bolt carrier way back in the early days of build your own ARs (Early 90s vintage). Some lapping compound may do the trick.

On the plus side, the primer strikes looked ok.

I'll break it down to see if this is the case (pull the trigger group and see what the internals look like). I'll run some buckshot through it to see if that may loosen it up.

The feeding issue doesn't seem to be a major issue if you follow a set loading style. It will take some getting use to after using 870s, 500s, Berettas, Benellis, and Franchi and their relative ease of loading from an open breech.

But a $285 shotgun is a $285 shotgun. I wasn't expecting Benelli M1 performance, but it should at least run out of the box (which it did in pump mode.....).

I'll keep you folks posted on any updates.

Q

johnsopi

Feb 8, 2018
    Still waiting for a replacement. Over all disappointed if they do replace it at some point they said it would not be test fired so could be starting the whole process again.

johnsopi

Feb 8, 2018
    They sent a Duo-Sys i was hoping for a upgrade. Hope it works or it's going right back. Looks like it was test fired which It hope is a good thing.

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    Well if anyone wants an S&J Hardware Turkish Shotgun to 870 adapter and/or MXT barrel nut let me know. They won't be working with my Tac12 (assuming they ever send it to me).

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Thread revival: I just ordered a used Benelli M3 trigger group off eBay. I am going to see if it's compatible with the Duo-Sys. I am not a big fan of the factory shell release on the Duo-Sys.

Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    Today was my last day off this week, so I took apart the Tristar Tec 12. I was going to tune it up with M3 parts because it's pretty well used. The recoil spring won't fit, so if anyone needs a M3 recoil spring, $5 and it's yours. The inertia springs were the same dimensionally so I put in a Benelli spring to try, and my extractor has a chip in it, so I was going to get the extractor swapped but can't get the damn roll pin out that holds the extractor in place. I absolutely love the shotgun, so wanted to freshen it up a bit. I would eventually like to try a mag extension.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I spent about an hour tonight trying to get the Benelli M3 trigger group into the Duo-Sys.

Physically, it will fit. You may need to file ever so slightly to deal with the tolerances, but it will go in (including the pin).

Function? Not so much in my limited dry testing. It appears that the interface between the bolt release and shell release is different enough that it will not function. I have not figured out yet whether this is some kind of tolerance problem (ie, filing on the appropriate bits on the shell release will solve it) or if it's a more substantial issue than that. I'm leaning towards the former if only because it seems like this gun has consistently been a fairly close clone.

I will also say that I see why they chose to go the route they did with the shell release; it's a much simpler mechanism even if the ergos suck.

Sirex