• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    I used to shoot a recurve but I had to give it up and gave it and the rest of my stuff to a sibling many years ago.

Lately I've been thinking about getting back into the sport and using a longbow but I know jack about them. I understand from reading that they draw smooth but have the potential for wrist slap (vs. forearm slap I guess for a recurve). I think I would get one with an actual shelf vs. resting the arrow on my hand and the English type vs. any other.

What are the true differences?

Also, what types of arrows do you use with a longbow. Starting out, I'd hate to buy wood arrows just to make kindling. I used to shoot fiberglass with my recurve.

I see that a Flemish bow string seems also to be the recommended way to go for longbows.

Thanks.

54rndball

take to the hills
    Mar 16, 2013
    Catonsville
    Most modern longbows have a shelf and you can shoot aluminum arrows, which are very durable. Wood arrows made of cedar are very good for hunting. Longbows are good for shooting heavy wooden arrows giving good penetration. Many archers wear arm guards to protect against forearm slap. B50, Flemish, or Fast Flight bowstrings are all possible, depending on the technical specs of the bow. Gun Shack in Mt. Airy has a good selection of recurves and longbows. Trad Tech Archery in Lancaster is one of the biggest retailers in the area. Online there is 3Riversarchery.com and Kustom King, among many others.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    alfontso

Latest threads

Top Bottom