• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TyFromMD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2011
    Maryland
    So.. I was at Bass Pro Shops in Arundel Mills Mall. There was a sign in front of their gun counter that said "CONCEALED CARRY CLASSES, CARRY IN 30+ STATES, INQUIRE AT GUN COUNTER."

Just thought you all might find that interesting.

Last edited:

Schwabe

Ultimate Member
    Nov 20, 2010
    Sho'a
    Very curious .... indeed. So they are making money off of a service you cannot use here .... at least CCW goes mainstream ... good exposure and will open some people's eyes.

jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick
    Very curious .... indeed. So they are making money off of a service you cannot use here .... at least CCW goes mainstream ... good exposure and will open some people's eyes.

People in Maryland want this, so I don't have any issues with them making $$ offering a service people want. I'd have issues if their literature was misleading and led folks to believe they would be able to carry in MD...

totally agree on it going mainstream!! :thumbsup:

punchBIGholes

Nov 29, 2011
    Catonsville
    I'm all for it too. I think its listed at $75 for just the class not the application fee, but thats $25 cheaper than I have seen anywhere else.

vin

Ultimate Member
    Mar 19, 2009
    Bowie, MD
    I'm all for it too. I think its listed at $75 for just the class not the application fee, but thats $25 cheaper than I have seen anywhere else.

The question is at that price are they doing photographs and fingerprints at the class?

I just took a class from Mdeng, $100 with the MDS discount, and it was a one stop shop. He photographs, fingerprints and ships your application. Plus he brought Florida applications, designated collector paperwork and a notary for both of those. I would highly recommend his course and have already passed on the link to his website to friends.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's great that a corporation is seeing the demand for such a course and providing it. (if only we could get our representatives to see that) But I would rather spend my money with a member of the MDS community (and one with an excellent product)

ADR

Ultimate Member
    Aug 17, 2011
    The question is at that price are they doing photographs and fingerprints at the class?

I just took a class from Mdeng, $100 with the MDS discount, and it was a one stop shop. He photographs, fingerprints and ships your application. Plus he brought Florida applications, designated collector paperwork and a notary for both of those. I would highly recommend his course and have already passed on the link to his website to friends.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's great that a corporation is seeing the demand for such a course and providing it. (if only we could get our representatives to see that) But I would rather spend my money with a member of the MDS community (and one with an excellent product)

+1 :thumbsup:

ProShooter

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2008
    Richmond, Va
    I do our Utah class ($85) at the Bass Pro Shops in Ashland, Va. and Hampton, Va. When I inquired of BP in Arundel Mills about doing a class, they said that they didn't really have a true classroom and the room only accomodated like 8-10 people.

You'll see lots of Bass Pro's offering classes...Gander Mountain and Cabela's too.

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    Lots of places offer it for $75.00 but require the attendees to get the photos on their own (from Walgren's/CVS/Wal-Mart/Staples/Office Depot). Some also do not do the fingerprinting or include mailing the forms back to Utah.

I know I have had classes that folks have wanted to save a few bucks by not having me or Patty take the photos. I insist we take the fingerprints and do the mailing.

Lightning

Feb 5, 2011
    The Peoples Republic of MD
    Shame we can't get all of the local gun/tackle shops to sponsor these classes. It would sure help get the word out and change the way guns and gun ownership is viewed in the Peoples Republic of Maryland.

Surely Anglers right down the street from MSI could net a whole group of new people for the shooting community in the State.

Just my thoughts....

aray

Ultimate Member
    Jun 6, 2010
    MD -> KY
    I support our local industry partners but at the same time I'm glad "mainstream" shops like Bass Pro in MD are getting into the act. In here, we're preaching to the choir. Bass Pro can attract the "man off the street" who never even realized CCW was possible.

Indeed I'm (sorta) a case in point. Even though I was a long-time gun owner, a couple of years ago I had never heard of MDS, MSI, or even knew a non-resident permit was possible. By chance I saw an MSNBC article (how ironic is that, eh?) that mentioned FL and UT out of state permits were possible. That simple fact revolutionized my life and of course I subsequently got my FL permit, found MDS and MSI, and have become quite an advocate in my own way.

Support is built one person at a time and I'm delighted to hear Bass Pro is helping to spread the word. Getting the word out to the uninformed is one of the best things we can do.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    I'll be at the 10am class. The class is good for the arizona and utah permits. He has all the utah stuff there and you'll have a complete packet(photos, fingerprints...etc) at the end of the class. Apparently arizona won't send him the packets, but he directs you where to go to get one sent to you and gives you all the stuff to complete that packet as well. This class is focusing more on the legal aspects of carrying than shooting and technique stuff.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    I was pleased to attend Mdeng's Utah class in Silver Spring.

Dealing with one of our community makes a difference for me; also it was incredibly convenient, having the whole package wrapped up and shipped out.

That said, the more people introduced to the subject, the better for us all.

annihilation-time

MOLON LABE
    Jun 14, 2010
    Hazzard County!
    I'll be at the 10am class. The class is good for the arizona and utah permits. He has all the utah stuff there and you'll have a complete packet(photos, fingerprints...etc) at the end of the class. Apparently arizona won't send him the packets, but he directs you where to go to get one sent to you and gives you all the stuff to complete that packet as well. This class is focusing more on the legal aspects of carrying than shooting and technique stuff.
    Do you know the dates and times for the course?

hilpala

Dec 16, 2011
    Ft Washington, MD
    Good to here but I too went to Mdeng....along with my father and my cousin. We all had high praise for the knowledge and one stop shopping. Awesome supporting a community member.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom