Basics of "remote" trail cameras. (Wifi or Cell)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    Wanting to put up a few trail cameras for year round wildlife surveillance and trespasser surveillance.
    roughly 20 acres and farthest camera would be about 1000' from the house, All hardwoods and rising/falling terrain.
    Thinking I want 4-5 cameras.

Wifi cameras:

It appears most (all?) "Wifi trail cameras do NOT connect to your wifi router,, but "act" as a standalone wifi to connect to your phone as you approach the camera?
    NOTE: my house is at one end of the property, the remote cameras would all be in the same general direction from the house, property is rectangle shaped.
    1) Are there Wifi Trail Cameras that connect to your existing wifi router?
    2) is it even feasible to get wifi out to the farthest cameras away from the house (1000 feet)? Are directional repeater antennas worth looking at?
    https://simplewifi.com/products/wif...xoW11sbGRshlyokstMB4YTb6tE40XsXimw_eiS8#tab-2
    3) a camera that sent pictures once, twice, or by the hour in groups to save battery life?
    4) I do not want any system that requires off site storage or a subscription

CELL Cameras
    I do not need video, just decent pics, 3-5 meg pics is more than enough.
    I am assuming none of the cell cameras send pictures directly to your phone,, but to a "cloud account"
    I despise buying a product, then having to purchase a monthly subscription to make it work!

1) Is there a cell camera that works with just a "cell line" monthly fee? or do all them need a subscription from the camera manufacture?
    2) Can you use the cell cameras with some sort of generic "cloud access service" ? or does each camera require a cloud service from the camera manufacture?
    3) Are there cloud services that let you store more "lower res" pics for a cheaper price? I do not need 10 meg pics to see it is a deer.
    4) what would be the cheapest "subscription for 2-3 cell cameras?

Thanks for any insight,
    Slack

dannyp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 30, 2018
    reveal is the easiest to use , download the app , install their sim card ( it comes with both at&t and verizon ones ) , setup the camera , ie name pics or video , and put it out . plans from 8.00 a month and up , discounts for multiple cameras . cuddieback has a system for multiple cameras where they repeat to one cell cam , don't have any so i don't know how well they work .

Slackdaddy

Jan 1, 2019
    reveal is the easiest to use , download the app , install their sim card ( it comes with both at&t and verizon ones ) , setup the camera , ie name pics or video , and put it out . plans from 8.00 a month and up , discounts for multiple cameras . cuddieback has a system for multiple cameras where they repeat to one cell cam , don't have any so i don't know how well they work .

Thanks for that info,, I had no idea, I'll deff check into that.
    Having 2-4 cameras at the far back of the property, all uploading from 1 sounds like a great setup.

KRC

Sep 30, 2018
    Cecil County MD
    I have wooded 19.5 acres, roughly a long rectangle with the furthest border ~1000 feet from my house. I do not use cell cams, just regular trail cams, except within ~100 feet of the house where I use the old version BLINK cams (no $ subscription) with range extenders. I do not see how you are going to cover 20 acres with 4-5 cams. I have about a dozen camera and still have significant areas not covered. You may want to consider augmenting your cell type cams with a few regular cams. For each trail cam I purchase a steel security box, a padlock and two sets of both SD cards and rechargable batteries. Then when I check the cameras I can simply swap SD cards (and batteries if needed) and do not lose any monitoring time. Without security boxes trespassers are likely to simply remove your cameras. Natchez is currently running some good bargain prices on several trailcam brands and models.

Slackdaddy

Jan 1, 2019
    I have wooded 19.5 acres, roughly a long rectangle with the furthest border ~1000 feet from my house. I do not use cell cams, just regular trail cams, except within ~100 feet of the house where I use the old version BLINK cams (no $ subscription) with range extenders. I do not see how you are going to cover 20 acres with 4-5 cams. I have about a dozen camera and still have significant areas not covered. You may want to consider augmenting your cell type cams with a few regular cams. For each trail cam I purchase a steel security box, a padlock and two sets of both SD cards and rechargable batteries. Then when I check the cameras I can simply swap SD cards (and batteries if needed) and do not lose any monitoring time. Without security boxes trespassers are likely to simply remove your cameras. Natchez is currently running some good bargain prices on several trailcam brands and models.
    The 1-2 acres around the house will be a completely different set up just for security.
    I plan to do that with a mix of wired and wireless security cameras going to a stand alone router/security computer. I have not even begun to research that.

As far as the cameras on the backside, 4-5 cams will cover what I need. I am just wanting to cover my 3-4 stand sights, and maybe 1 at the back corner that is the only real access point that a neighbor may trespass.
    Every few days The Deer shift their patterns of how/when they travel through the property,, just wanting to see what stands they are going by if any.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom