• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ToBeFree

Ultimate Member
    Oct 5, 2011
    Highland Cnty-Va
    Yep. With the moon out they are feasting all night and then hitting the hay.
    Supposed to rain some tomorrow but who knows. Hopefully it might get them to move some.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    Dorchester, not cold dragging them out of some of thickest nasty stuff u can imagine.
    Understand now. Hunted there for years and completely get it. Spilled lots of blood and lost many items of clothing and gear in Blackwater thickets and sticker bushes, both going in and coming out. Most of my memories of successful hunts are of the retrievals instead of the memories of the hunts themselves. Not for the faint of heart for sure, probably why my old broken down self stays on this side of the bay these days. Keep up the good work!

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    No luck in GRSF for me. I went out Wednesday and came back Thursday night. I made sure to pack everything. Except I left my duffle with all my clothes in it! So no long underwear, not hunting clothes. I at least had my hunting parka, hat, and gloves. Damned cold Thursday morning still. I wasn't going to spend another night camped in the cold just to freeze my butt off and then get rained on, Friday when I don't need venison that much. Just getting away from the almost ex-wife and getting in nature. Hoping for a big buck of course.

I overslept Thursday (on purpose), because I also wasn't going to sit in 23F weather in just jeans in the dark, when I had a perfectly nice 0F sleeping bag I was in. I bumped a couple deer, maybe does, but I never got a look at more than their butts through the woods, not far from where I was going to setup for the morning if I hadn't been dumb and left all my clothes 2hrs a away at home. Probably does, so doesn't matter too much in the end. I did bump a three point at around 60yds. I am pretty sure deer can see well enough to know when you turn your head away and that is when they take off. It was still as hell the entire day and nearly silent in the woods. Except the incredibly loud crunch of leaves. Interestingly, I bumped the buck in a section that was mossy and little leaf cover, so I was moving quiet (ish). I tend to still hunt by taking 2-3 steps slow, then scanning for 30-60 seconds before I take any more. I took me a solid 1.5hrs to go about the quarter mile I had from start to when I bumped the buck.

Anyway, no time to identify him as a shooter and get on him before he was in thick stuff (On public land, anything that is legal is a shooter in my book unless I have zero excuses to be out hunting, but I have several friends who have asked for venison and my freezer is full, so even a spike buck would be fine).

Nothing in the evening sit, but I think I cleared the woods out enough that nothing was coming back up and out for the evening. I probably should have just headed to a totally different area that I hadn't molested for most of the day.

I'll probably get in some days, or at least mornings/evenings in my backyard stand where I know there are a lot more deer. And maybe some nice bucks. And I'll probably try to get out to the Eastern shore for late gun. I'd really, really, really like to get a Sika finally (any gender).

Cool_Moo5e

Sep 4, 2023
    Harford
    Sitting on the couch just dying to get out. Got a text from my mom.....3 does in the field next to my stand. Wind is wrong so I probably wouldn't have hunted there anyway but still feel the salt
    they always come out to my home stand when I am at the farm.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    Made it back to WVa for the final days of the season. Drove onto the farm at 4 pm, and had a large doe skinned in the barn by 6.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    The downside, however, is that my favorite pocket knife is somewhere in the field. You win some, you lose some.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Hoping for a better day today than last week... at least hoping to not take a header into the creek today... that would be a good start. Leg still freaking hurts form last Saturday. Good luck all.
    Oh no! I missed that. Better luck today my friend.

Today will be only my second day hunting this gun season. :fingerscrossed:

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    I guess last night’s rain has dampened some of the guys spirits since only 4 of us have showed up to hunt and I don’t really count as gimp as I am.

It sure ain’t like the old days

But at least if I can get into my stand without falling down I will get a day in the woods in solitude and try and clear and relax my mind

Good luck to everyone!

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    I guess last night’s rain has dampened some of the guys spirits since only 4 of us have showed up to hunt and I don’t really count as gimp as I am.

It sure ain’t like the old days

But at least if I can get into my stand without falling down I will get a day in the woods in solitude and try and clear and relax my mind

Good luck to everyone!

You're no gimp.

Good luck to you too!

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    You're no gimp.

Good luck to you too!
    I appreciate you saying that

I did get to my spot using two walking sticks and hoping for the best

I just let two does pass within 15 yards of me, idk why but just because I could

I actually feel as spry as a strutting rooster right now lol

That will end when I gotta get back to my truck lol

And good luck to you and to everyone out in the woods right now!!

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City

I just let two does pass within 15 yards of me, idk why but just because I could

You're one tough hombre, is what you are.

Yep, because you can.

Quality, not quantity. Quantity is a phase. A phase that's today more for the younger guys. Just as it was yesterday for us. No need to pile them up anymore. Unless of course you want to.

Hope you see a rack that looks like a rocking chair. And if not, still a good day.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

Sitting here hoping the fog burns off. Seeing good movement.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    This is why I switched out my gutting knives to this a couple years ago.
    The downside, however, is that my favorite pocket knife is somewhere in the field. You win some, you lose so

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    You're one tough hombre, is what you are.

Yep, because you can.

Quality, not quantity. Quantity is a phase. A phase that's today more for the younger guys. Just as it was yesterday for us. No need to pile them up anymore. Unless of course you want to.

Hope you see a rack that looks like a rocking chair. And if not, still a good day.
    You are to kind and thank you for saying that

I saw another doe and I hear something thrashing around on the next hill so I hope it is that one with a rocking chair on his head lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bmoretriggerman

Latest threads

Top Bottom