• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • outrider58

Loves Red Balloons
    MDS Supporter
    Yep - I've been hunting early archery every year until last year and probably will wait until October at the earliest again this year (vacation getting in the way). Concur on the post ML gap between that and rifle. That's the week or two that I've taken the most in archery. Biggest bodied buck that I've taken was the second weekend post ML. Big-bodied old buck who's antlers were in decline. I'd seen him pass/lurk out of range on two prior seasons. Dragged that old one down-slope to near the road where I could load it into the truck at a turnaround on the driveway. My taxidermist neighbor across the street saw me dragging down the hill and came out to help me load it. You get very few neck roasts off of "mountain deer", but I got two off of this one. Hoping for a repeat this year.
    Good luck J!

outrider58

Loves Red Balloons
    MDS Supporter
    Thanks, you too, B! I still gotta get the eyes out to see what's coming in this year in a new field of view. Have to give the proven spot a year or two's rest to recover. Sucks being bound to the ground.
    FWIW, I killed one of my biggest bucks, a 6 point, that I hunted for years. I estimated his age at 8 yo when I finally killed him. He showed up every year during the rut. He never showed up on my trailcams.
    They're out there...

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    FWIW, I killed one of my biggest bucks, a 6 point, that I hunted for years. I estimated his age at 8 yo when I finally killed him. He showed up every year during the rut. He never showed up on my trailcams.
    They're out there...
    Mine was probably an 8, but was missing an antler for confirmation. I caught him on cam exactly once in July a few years ago. No doubt on the cams front - I've stopped using them to estimate specific animals (nice to see), but to give an idea as to average times of activity over the season. I wish these fVckers were actually that predictable.

outrider58

Loves Red Balloons
    MDS Supporter
    Mine was probably an 8, but was missing an antler for confirmation. I caught him on cam exactly once in July a few years ago. No doubt on the cams front - I've stopped using them to estimate specific animals (nice to see), but to give an idea as to average times of activity over the season. I wish these fVckers were actually that predictable.
    I don't run cams anymore either. I know where they move. We don't shoot anything younger than 3. Neither one of us is looking for wall hangers anymore. Just mature deer.

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    I love to run cameras. Actually I run them year round. It’s so easy now that they’ll send pictures to you. Yeah it’s cool to see a good buck but I enjoy all the wildlife pics. I have shot animals I’ve seen on camera and have not seen animals that have shown up on camera so I’d never not hunt just because I haven’t seen anything come in.
    I don't run cams anymore either. I know where they move. We don't shoot anything younger than 3. Neither one of us is looking for wall hangers anymore. Just mature deer.

outrider58

Loves Red Balloons
    MDS Supporter
    I love to run cameras. Actually I run them year round. It’s so easy now that they’ll send pictures to you. Yeah it’s cool to see a good buck but I enjoy all the wildlife pics. I have shot animals I’ve seen on camera and have not seen animals that have shown up on camera so I’d never not hunt just because I haven’t seen anything come in.
    My most enjoyable trailcam pics have come after the close of the season. I would place a cam in a sheltered area next to winter feeding grounds. Great fun to view. Almost voyeuristic.

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    Picked up a new property so cameras have been out since spring. Lots of turkey, does with little ones, coyotes, and a few smaller bucks. Nothing big on camera yet, but we’ll see. Oh, and she has been coming by with her 2 little ones….haha.
    IMG_0975.png

BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Got some cool shots the other day. Just happened to hang a stand close 2 days before.

Attachments

• 20230812_204647.jpg
      20230812_204647.jpg
      350.8 KB · Views: 81
    • 20230812_204717.jpg
      20230812_204717.jpg
      233.2 KB · Views: 80
    • 20230812_204703.jpg
      20230812_204703.jpg
      349.4 KB · Views: 77

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    One of my home stands is pretty close to a power line. The power company came through the other day for their regular vegetation management and completely clear cut/bulldozed the right of way. I was thinking of planting some food for deer while the ground is still open.

What are your favorite foot plot mixes that can be broadcast with a simple walk-behind broadcaster? (I don't have any heavy equipment other than a lawn tractor)

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    One of my home stands is pretty close to a power line. The power company came through the other day for their regular vegetation management and completely clear cut/bulldozed the right of way. I was thinking of planting some food for deer while the ground is still open.

What are your favorite foot plot mixes that can be broadcast with a simple walk-behind broadcaster? (I don't have any heavy equipment other than a lawn tractor)
    Great idea. I’d do a little research. Conditions come into play like soil , wet/dry , shade/sun. Whitetail research has a great web site to point you in the right direction even if you don’t use their products.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    My buddy used a raddish combination and the deer loved them late season and even dug some up. They improve the soil too. He did buckwheat late spring and they love that also and it seems the bucks like it too. Now he is ready to plant radishes for winter.

Last edited:

outrider58

Loves Red Balloons
    MDS Supporter

What RRomig said. Look particularly at blends to extend the life of your food plot.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA

Go heavy on radish. The deer love them, and it sticks around after a frost.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    My one remaining apple tree has a bumper crop this year, I'm seeing younger bucks and big, fat does in broad daylight out of the dining room window.

If oak trees are anything like black walnut trees, then it'll be a good crop this year as well because my black walnuts are HEAVY with nuts this year. Some branches are nearly touching the ground the nuts and hulls are so big.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    Bought my license and SOB did they raise the price of everything! $104 out the door.
    State license $35, it is $42 just for waterfowl stamps $27 for Fed and $15 for state. Bonus buck went to $10. Ain't even 11am and feel like I need a beer from shock.

I was over by Scout308's house taking down a stand I had over there to get another on the access trail on the farm. I was ordered to kill lots of does this year and making a lot of jerky.

Attachments

• IMG_1895.png
      IMG_1895.png
      110.7 KB · Views: 60

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Saw these two this morning in DC. They know you can’t kill them so they have no fear. We’re a train tracks width away.

Attachments

• IMG_6908.jpeg
      IMG_6908.jpeg
      444 KB · Views: 74

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy

Same here, but they did it last year. It's on neighboring property so I can't plant it (without asking, which I probably could have). Deer used that area for bedding a LOT, so that was all gone, and the deer moved somewhere else. It's grown up a bit now so I hope they'll move back in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    chop212

Latest threads

Top Bottom