• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    The doe I saw this afternoon looked normal size.

She got a pass since the freezer is full. I am hoping she will attract a fella.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    Does? Are they next to Re and Mi? :lol2:
    Lol, yes that’s exactly where they are!

The bucks have all he really lean but the rut does that. When I grew corn and beans they all stayed fat but we only have 5 or so acres of deer plots and kale and the rest of the farms fallow so I didn’t think they would be so fat. I was thinking maybe it’s gonna be a cold winter because of the thick layer of fat. Or they could just be fat I guess.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    The doe I saw this afternoon looked normal size.

She got a pass since the freezer is full. I am hoping she will attract a fella.
    If you have extra meat I am sure someone in need would love some. We gave about 50lbs of ground deer meat to some folks today that really needed it

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    The does have about an inch of fat on them already this year.

Are y’all seeing that?
    I can’t speak to one right now. The older doe I shot during early ML had about a half inch of fat on her. She was nice and healthy. The big buck I shot had very little fat. He was chasing tail HARD.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    That big 6 I shot a few weeks ago had more fat on him than any deer I can remember. If he was chasing hard for a while, then he was truly a porker. Or we're in for a rough winter.

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    That big 6 I shot a few weeks ago had more fat on him than any deer I can remember. If he was chasing hard for a while, then he was truly a porker. Or we're in for a rough winter.
    Total opposite here in Frederick County. We are hunting a farm where they want the heard thinned, big time. We are hunting corn and bean fields, which should fatten them up easily. All the deer we’ve taking off this property have been the least fatty I’ve seen in a long time.

KIBarrister

Opinionated Libertarian
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 10, 2013
    Kent Island/Centreville
    Isn’t it a tad early for bachelor groups? Prior to this morning I hadn’t seen these two together - or any other bucks - since Mid October.
    ECA7A178-A655-421C-BD23-A1801F672B39.png

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    We have been seeing this for a while on our game cameras

I don’t know what it means but the deer here are bunched up pretty tight now also in groups of 8-10 or more
    I haven’t seen bachelor groups, but just in the last week I went from mostly seeing lone deer or occasional 2-3 foes together at my feeder, on camera, etc. to now it’s back to groups of 4-6. The rut seemed short this year. Mid November till about the end of November. I wonder if that means a lot of fast and furious breeding, or a lot of does that’ll come in to estrous later this month.

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    I haven’t been in the woods as much the last few years but from what I’ve seen and talking to my friends the rut hasn’t been as definitive as it used to be. Not sure why or if anyone else out of our group sees it the same way.

Chevyman773

Dec 22, 2020
    If you have extra meat I am sure someone in need would love some. We gave about 50lbs of ground deer meat to some folks today that really needed it
    I could sure use some of the extra meat if you or know anyone that will be willing to share

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    We have been seeing this for a while on our game cameras

I don’t know what it means but the deer here are bunched up pretty tight now also in groups of 8-10 or more
    Didn’t see any in the woods yesterday afternoon. I hunt the wooded ravines behind a bunch of high dollar homes, and when I came out of the woods there was 15+ deer eating the homeowner’s bushes just 10-15ft from my truck. I remote started it and scared the heck out of them. I too thought it odd to see so many grouped up this early.

dlharsh

Feb 13, 2010
    Windsor Mill
    Shot this 10 pointer last week. Ran off like he hadn't been hit. Found him about 15 yards past where I last saw him.

Attachments

• 20221128_072017.jpg
      20221128_072017.jpg
      668.5 KB · Views: 70

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads