• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    How fast do deer find a feeder?

My neighbor asked Monday before thanksgiving if I had a spot for him. I did because my sons not hunting this year. That stand had a feeder at the bottom of the hill close enough to shoot on if someone wanted to.

On Thursday, thanksgiving, mid day he put 100lbs of corn, 100lbs of sweet feed and a gallon of big and j liquid and 2gallons of water on the juice in the feeder.

He also put up a game camera

Deer , and coons, started in on that feeder at dusk Thursday night and by Saturday morning he had about 85 pictures of deer and a dozen of coons including about 6 nice bucks and 7 small bucks and sometimes as many as 10 does at a time

How could they find a feeder so fast and so many deer hit it so fast

I rode up to the feeder a bit ago and the feeds gone but the deer are pawing the ground I guess after the juice that leaked out

I guess I can get a few bags of feed and put in there in case I want to try and get up there but I don’t know

Deer are like cockroaches I guess, they’re everywhere

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    How fast do deer find a feeder?

My neighbor asked Monday before thanksgiving if I had a spot for him. I did because my sons not hunting this year. That stand had a feeder at the bottom of the hill close enough to shoot on if someone wanted to.

On Thursday, thanksgiving, mid day he put 100lbs of corn, 100lbs of sweet feed and a gallon of big and j liquid and 2gallons of water on the juice in the feeder.

He also put up a game camera

Deer , and coons, started in on that feeder at dusk Thursday night and by Saturday morning he had about 85 pictures of deer and a dozen of coons including about 6 nice bucks and 7 small bucks and sometimes as many as 10 does at a time

How could they find a feeder so fast and so many deer hit it so fast

I rode up to the feeder a bit ago and the feeds gone but the deer are pawing the ground I guess after the juice that leaked out

I guess I can get a few bags of feed and put in there in case I want to try and get up there but I don’t know

Deer are like cockroaches I guess, they’re everywhere
    They'll find it fast.
    Because we feed a lot of deer, Ill tell you something else and everyone can believe this or not for what it is.
    When you find a spot to feed, the first few times you get some hits on it are the best time to hunt it for bucks.
    I think the reason is, becuase they know that woods to every stick, when they find that new corn pile they'll hit it hard even in daylight the first few evenings and thats the time to get them.

The only proof I have is, why is there so many guys hunting corn piles when they snap a few pictures right off of a good one but never kill/see them while hunting.
    But they'll bait the hell out of that spot like no tomorrow, get fixated on it and never pay out.
    Years ago, I wrote about baiting the stick/ it works. I'm not going over that again.

The other thing is, how many guys ever walked in to a spot that just got baited and smoked a hoss.
    Other wise if you blow it-stink it up, they'll come in at night when pressured. Or the middle of the day/early morning after the frost. Alot will leave early, disappointed listening to everyone else slinging lead.
    With a lot of pressure, they know where it is/ will come at night.
    Some of those guys get them becuase their also in the spot to where no one wants to hunt, crowded- club not enough room etc. so they are right place right time.
    Where they aren't so to speak.

GutPile

Ultimate Member
    Jul 4, 2016
    M&g is full. So you need to find an alternate if not self processing if in near westminster area.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    They'll find it fast.
    Because we feed a lot of deer, Ill tell you something else and everyone can believe this or not for what it is.
    When you find a spot to feed, the first few times you get some hits on it are the best time to hunt it for bucks.
    I think the reason is, becuase they know that woods to every stick, when they find that new corn pile they'll hit it hard even in daylight the first few evenings and thats the time to get them.

The only proof I have is, why is there so many guys hunting corn piles when they snap a few pictures right off of a good one but never kill/see them while hunting.
    But they'll bait the hell out of that spot like no tomorrow, get fixated on it and never pay out.
    Years ago, I wrote about baiting the stick/ it works. I'm not going over that again.

The other thing is, how many guys ever walked in to a spot that just got baited and smoked a hoss.
    Other wise if you blow it-stink it up, they'll come in at night when pressured. Or the middle of the day/early morning after the frost. Alot will leave early, disappointed listening to everyone else slinging lead.
    Some of those guys get them becuase their also in the spot to where no one wants to hunt, crowded- club not enough room etc. so they are right place right time.
    The young guys at the farm have a dozen or more feeders and they send me pics weekly because I can’t get around much now and they rarely move them and they get maybe half as many pics in a week as my neighbor got in 2 nights so I rekon stinking an area up never helps even in feeding them

Baiting sticks, I never heard of that

I might just put some corn and deer cane in a spot by the barn Friday night and sit in the barn Saturday morning now lol

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    They'll find it fast.

They will smell it quick, especially in higher density of deer locations. Sounds like a good area

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Baiting sticks,
    You just start a pile, get them on to it.
    Have a stake with a small flag on it.
    Move the stick instead of the pile to where you want one to be.
    Sometimes it works sometimes it won’t.
    They have to see it for anything to happen.
    For the reason I went on about earlier.
    This is where a curiosity scent comes in handy.
    I found back from when I used to trap, dirt hole sets with spearmint lure would bring deer right in.
    The very next day the traps would be sprung deer tracks all over from them.
    Just a touch on a q- tip will do it.
    So that’s what I use. And it’s cheap.
    Good luck 44 man.
    God bless.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    Baiting sticks,
    You just start a pile, get them on to it.
    Have a stake with a small flag on it.
    Move the stick instead of the pile to where you want one to be.
    Sometimes it works sometimes it won’t.
    They have to see it for anything to happen.
    For the reason I went on about earlier.
    This is where a curiosity scent comes in handy.
    I found back from when I used to trap, dirt hole sets with spearmint lure would bring deer right in.
    The very next day the traps would be sprung deer tracks all over from them.
    Just a touch on a q- tip will do it.
    So that’s what I use. And it’s cheap.
    Good luck 44 man.
    God bless.
    Cool

Deer will go to stuff they see and work scents big time

If I felt better I would just plant ten acres of late beans and ten acres of corn and put up some tripod stands lol, that brings them from miles around. Especially if I plant them. My scent must smell like candy on crops as much of my corn and beans them damn cockroaches have eaten.

On another note, I sure miss trapping but hides have less value than the meats and it’s not worth the time it takes nowadays. I do miss the old days

Thanks , and God bless you also and keep your freezers stocked and you and yours safe especially during hunting season and the holidays

CharlieFoxtrot

Industry Partner
    Sep 30, 2007
    Foothills of Appalachia
    M&g is full. So you need to find an alternate if not self processing if in near westminster area.
    We took the doe my son shot opening day to Prys (Frederick County) around noon yesterday and they were saying how slammed they were and they were worried they would be full by the end of the day.

Heard a lot more shots opening day in SW Frederick County than usual.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    I saw a ton last night over to the #1 farm.
    Bunch of small bucks/flatheads. Immature 6's and 1, 8 pointer
    They say deer dont like to move in the wind/heavy rain, I dont know.
    Not cold enough yet for all that round here it seems.
    Warm and foggy this morning, didn't even go.

94hokie

Mar 29, 2015
    Severna Park, MD
    Hunted Carroll County over the weekend. Saw several small bucks and a really small doe on Saturday and let them all walk. Heard lots of shooting. Yesterday, sat in the stand all day. Once the rain stopped, the deer started to move and got a nice, mature doe to put in the freezer.

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    Heard nothing down my way - Sat, Sun, today. Very odd not to heard some occasional shots...
    Steady barrage of shots up this way. All three days, but fewer on Sunday. Sunday shots were from farms/fields in the valley. Saw trucks at almost every pull off spot bordering Greenbrier SP on my way home from work this afternoon.

KIBarrister

Opinionated Libertarian
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 10, 2013
    Kent Island/Centreville
    Hoping to get out again soon… this is just a moment ago, but this stand has been like this morning and night today, and Sunday night hour on each side…

Attachments

• 21BBCC5B-D206-48F1-AE3C-1AC855512701.png
      21BBCC5B-D206-48F1-AE3C-1AC855512701.png
      207.9 KB · Views: 54

GutPile

Ultimate Member
    Jul 4, 2016
    Heading to rifle country w my silencerco omega on the ar10 Wednesday. This is def the loudest gun season I can remember. Part of me is hoping there is something left for late bow and next season but after my wife's car getting tash - brown is down.

KIBarrister

Opinionated Libertarian
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 10, 2013
    Kent Island/Centreville
    Murphy is a bastard coated bastard with bastard filling.

Braved the cold with a fresh case of influenza (it may not have been that cold this morning, but it FELT that cold). Cashed in some matrimonial currency with Mrs KIB, too, just to get out.

One of the 8 points I have been watching all season came near right on time and lined up a perfect shot - or would have. I didn’t check to make sure my batteries in the thermal were still good after a few hours in the cold :banghead:

By the time I fished a spare set out, which meant fidgeting around, I got to see his heat signature boogy out of dodge through the trees. FML

oh, and some assh0le dumped three deer carcasses on the edge of my property - right in front of a main game trail :mad54::mad54::mad54::mad54: my money is on the pushy neighbor who won’t take no for an answer about leasing the northeast corner

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Well I just shot the 7-pt. I wasn’t hunting today. Until I was. I think a good double king hit. Waiting 15 more minutes (already waited 15).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom