• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Could be more out there, who knows. Sometimes you have to shoot the dominant stag off to get a look at all that's there, or for some others to move in.
    This guy looks too nervous with a few girls. Often it pays to wait them out and then nothing happens.
    sm s.PNG

Ecestu

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2016
    Congrats
    It’s been pouring here so I was worried you’d have a tough trailing job
    Thanks guys (or gals)! It's been raining lightly on and off but nothing crazy. I'm waiting on a buddy to show up so I can show him how to field dress, but looks like heart was hit by this picture...
    16649294246151125580249337591958.jpg

He was quartering away walking to my left.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    For me it was way too warm in September to think about hunting. October and November I’m usually into deer hunting.
    That. It was a fairly hot September (or at least I thought it was), and we kind of turned around to have a couple of nice days of weather, and then soaking rain the last few days. I am sure the banter will tick back up.

I might consider sitting out this Friday afterwork to see if anything comes in, but I'll probably put that off a little later. Maybe Monday afternoon I will. Not hurting for more venison in the freezer, but I'd also really, really like at least one more deer in the freezer. And then I would like to look for a bonus buck (well, really just look for a really nice buck, but if I don't get one, oh well).

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Recently bought a home in northern Baltimore Co with about 2 acres of wooded property around it, see deer walking through almost daily. Hoping to finally harvest my first one this year.
    Just make sure you are checking the safety zones and you probably want to check with the neighbors in advance if they are okay retrieving on their property. 2 acres is pretty likely they'll run off your property. I am on 4.5, and granted I hunt close-ish to the property lines, but still not right up on it. So far in the 3 seasons I've been here and I think 10 or 11 deer I've killed on the property 3 of them have dropped on my property, 5-6 on my next door neighbor's property, 1 on by backyard neighbor's property and one went about 5 properties down before I found her.

In all except that last case I had permission in advance to be hunting within the safety zones with my crossbow (dang HoCo and their 150yds safety zones with NO exemptions for tree stand use! That last one took a lot of door knocking. Everyone said okay in the end, but I did also get a rather dirty look from one younger Mom with a 2yr old. But she did say yes in the end (it was basically at the very back of her property). TOTAL distance was not really that far. Maybe 300yds, possibly 350. My property and my next-door neighbor's are fairly wide, but then the properties next to theirs are fairly skinny, but long, like 1.5 acre properties.

So long as you are obeying safety zones, you can always knock to get permission later, but IMHO unless you think the answer in advance would be no, talk to them up front. Let them know what you are doing, you'll be safe, tell them you are using a bow (or crossbow). I have a few neighbors I have not asked, largely because I am 99% sure a deer would not run in their direction out in to the open like that, but back through the woods. So far I've been entirely right. But I happen to know generally where many of the deer are bedding, their corridors, where they feed, etc. around here so I have a very good idea of their escape corridors.

Anyway, the neighbors diagonal to my property I suspect might be hostile to me retrieving on their property so I haven't bothered asking. If I DO need to retrieve, I'll drive on over there, knock and ask. They might be nice people who don't want to be disturbed, but between the many no trespassing signs at the top of their driveway, the many stories of the family I've heard, and that it is 2 adult sons, I think the adult daughter lives there to, I think a spouse or two, "Mom" who is I think in her 70s or 80s now, and one or more grandkids and I frequently hear the adult sons out on the property screaming curses and how they'll kill each other at least every couple of months. Plus, the occasional gunshot (hey, no judgement. Other than occasional gunshots combined with the other...umm...concerns...)

So I'd rather a good reason to go knock and talk than small talk and "oh, hey if I needed to would you be okay? Where I hunt on my property is more than 150yds to the houses on their property, so I am covered there. And their property isn't particularly on any of the travel corridors or escape routes. So I think it is unlikely one would end up there.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Could be more out there, who knows. Sometimes you have to shoot the dominant stag off to get a look at all that's there, or for some others to move in.
    This guy looks too nervous with a few girls. Often it pays to wait them out and then nothing happens.
    View attachment 382738
    I mean, if you need help with either the gents or the ladies there, let me know :-)

SpruceJPG

Dec 30, 2012
    Carroll County
    Just make sure you are checking the safety zones and you probably want to check with the neighbors in advance if they are okay retrieving on their property. 2 acres is pretty likely they'll run off your property. I am on 4.5, and granted I hunt close-ish to the property lines, but still not right up on it. So far in the 3 seasons I've been here and I think 10 or 11 deer I've killed on the property 3 of them have dropped on my property, 5-6 on my next door neighbor's property, 1 on by backyard neighbor's property and one went about 5 properties down before I found her.

In all except that last case I had permission in advance to be hunting within the safety zones with my crossbow (dang HoCo and their 150yds safety zones with NO exemptions for tree stand use! That last one took a lot of door knocking. Everyone said okay in the end, but I did also get a rather dirty look from one younger Mom with a 2yr old. But she did say yes in the end (it was basically at the very back of her property). TOTAL distance was not really that far. Maybe 300yds, possibly 350. My property and my next-door neighbor's are fairly wide, but then the properties next to theirs are fairly skinny, but long, like 1.5 acre properties.

So long as you are obeying safety zones, you can always knock to get permission later, but IMHO unless you think the answer in advance would be no, talk to them up front. Let them know what you are doing, you'll be safe, tell them you are using a bow (or crossbow). I have a few neighbors I have not asked, largely because I am 99% sure a deer would not run in their direction out in to the open like that, but back through the woods. So far I've been entirely right. But I happen to know generally where many of the deer are bedding, their corridors, where they feed, etc. around here so I have a very good idea of their escape corridors.

Anyway, the neighbors diagonal to my property I suspect might be hostile to me retrieving on their property so I haven't bothered asking. If I DO need to retrieve, I'll drive on over there, knock and ask. They might be nice people who don't want to be disturbed, but between the many no trespassing signs at the top of their driveway, the many stories of the family I've heard, and that it is 2 adult sons, I think the adult daughter lives there to, I think a spouse or two, "Mom" who is I think in her 70s or 80s now, and one or more grandkids and I frequently hear the adult sons out on the property screaming curses and how they'll kill each other at least every couple of months. Plus, the occasional gunshot (hey, no judgement. Other than occasional gunshots combined with the other...umm...concerns...)

So I'd rather a good reason to go knock and talk than small talk and "oh, hey if I needed to would you be okay? Where I hunt on my property is more than 150yds to the houses on their property, so I am covered there. And their property isn't particularly on any of the travel corridors or escape routes. So I think it is unlikely one would end up there.
    The neighbor behind me whose wooded property butts up to mine had the same talk right after I moved in, so I'm fine there. Told him the same, if something comes over to my side, feel free to get it. Mutual understanding is that if one of us has to drag it from the other's side, well share some of the meat. Left side is a hard no, and I try to not even look in their direction because they like to keep to themselves, and on the right is a new couple - haven't felt them out yet.

On an unrelated note the dude to the right recently cut down some trees and pushed a bunch of brush about 20ft over onto my side of the property line, blocking off a walking trail I made. He got a new camper and needs the space to turn around. I walked over and told him he's over by quite a bit, and he said he'd take care of it and clean it up, but its going on 3 weeks now and the only thing that's changed is now trailer is backed up on my cleared portion of the property. I've been here for less than a year, and he moved in about 6 months ago. Really trying to keep the situation civil, but loosing that much wooded area without a heads up first is hard to overlook.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom