• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    Nice, stout boy there. Good shot too it appears!

Thanks guys. I actually shot twice at 200 yards. First was throw the lungs, albeit a tiny bit back.

Then he kept jogging, so I shot again, this time it hit the base of his neck.

Batt816

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 1, 2018
    Eastern Shore
    Thanks guys. I actually shot twice at 200 yards. First was throw the lungs, albeit a tiny bit back.

Then he kept jogging, so I shot again, this time it hit the base of his neck.

Still pretty good @ 200 yards, was that with the 350?

GutPile

Ultimate Member
    Jul 4, 2016
    Thought he was one of the big guys I've been playing chess with. I actually passed a bigger buck as a result. He was looking away and head was in some vines at just the right angle that it looked like more than 4 points. No regrets because 2 year olds are the tastiest age bucks.
    830VVYJ.jpg

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I usually take the .22 out to thin the Squirrel herd out just after deer firearms. That particular fox squirrel was overly obnoxious though. It was fearless to the point of stupidity. It actually got within a foot of trying to climb my leg just before fireams season that year. It came within a couple of yards on more than a few occasions prior (hunting from the ground, mind you). Come firearms, patience had worn very thin.

Good luck with the the big buck! They always seem to be the wild card when you've got the others roughly figured out.

I would, but the neighbor closest to my stand is okay with me bow hunting deer. I haven’t talked to him about thinning squirrels with a 22 and I don’t particularly want to chance a “no”. With the leaves on and can, sure I’d take out a few on the ground. I’ve talked to all my neighbors about bow hunting deer, but only a couple have volunteered “if you want to hunt on my property that’s fine. Or shoot fox or raccoons or squirrels or whatever with a 22 that’s fine”. One neighbor who just doesn’t really like wildlife at all. Another who hunts…on a (900?) acre farm on the eastern shore with his adult boys.

Next year I just need to plan in September to shoot enough to make a good squirrel stew. The other morning I looked out my bedroom window and there were 9 of them all crawling over the ground near my wife’s bird feeder. A typical sit and I’ll see at least half a dozen in a half acre rummaging around the forest floor.

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    We had a squirrel problem a couple years ago. I’d always take a couple field tips or judos and take some out. It’s great in field practice. After about 15 down it was much more “normal” squirrel population. They still hit the bird feeders but not like the riot it used to be.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    I noticed Giant food stores are now selling farm raised venison, if anyone wants a taste without having to drag the deer out of the woods.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    I noticed Giant food stores are now selling farm raised venison, if anyone wants a taste without having to drag the deer out of the woods.

At my local Giant in the same cooler they also had farm raised Bison and Wild Boar from the same brand as the Venison.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    Thought he was one of the big guys I've been playing chess with. I actually passed a bigger buck as a result. He was looking away and head was in some vines at just the right angle that it looked like more than 4 points. No regrets because 2 year olds are the tastiest age bucks.
    830VVYJ.jpg
    Is he really that thick, or is he not gutted yet? Good buck either way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom