• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Baccusboy

Teecha, teecha
    Oct 10, 2010
    Seoul
    I returned from Korea, and picked-up the 1911SC Bobtail I'd purchased from bud's and had sent to my FFL. I am disgusted with the finish. You can see why in the pics. What would you do about this?

wide.jpg

cu.jpg

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    Send it back to S&W.

+1, BGS or the transferring FFL should have caught that... but send it back before you shoot it or handle it too much. Guns get damaged during shipment all the time and if it's truly a new gun they'll take care of it. If it's gouged badly enough you may get another gun altogether, unless their service department will polish it and have it re-anodized.

Contact S&W service ASAP and ask for a call tag.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    To each his own but not a big deal to me. I'd have it looking much worse than this after a month.

Sent from my phone from somewhere in the world.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    To each his own but not a big deal to me. I'd have it looking much worse than this after a month.

Sent from my phone from somewhere in the world.

If it's a carry gun or bona-fide shooter, I wouldn't really care either. All my carry guns have holster/mechanical wear that looks much worse (or better? I like wear from use :)) than that. But then again if I knew it's a defect right out of the box, I would ask the store for a scratch & dent discount. But, in this case it was sent in from Bud's so it could have been damaged during shipping from the manufacturer, or from Bud's to the FFL, or by the employee(s) working for the FFL dealer.

As someone who has personally dealt with this type of problem, I would say the manufacturer probably has their fair share of returns damaged because of improper packaging (loose mag, cable lock or other metal item in the case) or just general handling by UPS or whoever. If you make tens of thousands of guns a year a few will be delivered with defects.

The customer is always right, and if he runs it by S&W service it really should not be a big deal to make the OP happy.

Baccusboy

Teecha, teecha
    Oct 10, 2010
    Seoul
    If it's a carry gun or bona-fide shooter, I wouldn't really care either.

Well, after cleaning it up with some Ballistol and re-assembling my first 1911, I am beginning to wonder if I should care much. I'm going to call S&W to discuss it, but the issue I have is that if I send it away, I won't be in country to sign for the gun when it comes back. I have heard from others that this may be an issue.

Besides, refinishing is probably what... $100 or so? Maybe not worth the trouble if it is going to get a bit worn from carry over time, anyway. Can always refinish later (assuming you can do that with Scandium).

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    Well, after cleaning it up with some Ballistol and re-assembling my first 1911, I am beginning to wonder if I should care much. I'm going to call S&W to discuss it, but the issue I have is that if I send it away, I won't be in country to sign for the gun when it comes back. I have heard from others that this may be an issue.

Besides, refinishing is probably what... $100 or so? Maybe not worth the trouble if it is going to get a bit worn from carry over time, anyway. Can always refinish later (assuming you can do that with Scandium).

It's your personal call. The majority of cosmetic flaws I see like this are sent back from distributors/dealers, since it's harder to sell a dinged gun at sticker price. I have seen customers complain about minor wear from shooting the gun as if they thought the slide/frame would crack because the gun is "falling apart".

If you are using a quality holster with good retention, drawing/re-holstering you gun a few hundred times will wear it more than that, more likely. I treat my guns like I do tools and other sports equipment. Look at the tool box used by a mechanical/construction contractor and his tools will look beat to sh!t, but the good quality ones keep running like the day they were new.

If you're buying a safe queen, send it back and they will more than likely refinish it for free. If you're gonna shoot it/carry it/take it to classes, it's probably not worth the trouble as you said.

jawn

YOU TROLLIN!
    Feb 10, 2011
    INTARWEB
    You can always get it cerakoted later after you've thoroughly punished the finish on the gun.

Baccusboy

Teecha, teecha
    Oct 10, 2010
    Seoul
    Thanks guys...

I got to shoot it yesterday. Put about 100 rounds through it with no malfunctions, other than from me not cycling the slide quickly enough when chambering a round (the spring is freaking tight on this gun). It shot flawlessly, although the operator SUCKS at accuracy. After a bit of help improving my stance from the local DNR range instructor, I hit the bullseye three times in 4 shots from 10 yards. Was getting tired and hands started shaking by then, so I stopped. Had been a long time since I shot anything, and I shake a bit as it is.

It appears to have what I think are called, "Combat Sights?" It shoots low, unless I put the center post white dot exactly where I want it to hit (as opposed to putting the dot on top of the post).

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    Thanks guys...

I got to shoot it yesterday. Put about 100 rounds through it with no malfunctions, other than from me not cycling the slide quickly enough when chambering a round (the spring is freaking tight on this gun). It shot flawlessly, although the operator SUCKS at accuracy. After a bit of help improving my stance from the local DNR range instructor, I hit the bullseye three times in 4 shots from 10 yards. Was getting tired and hands started shaking by then, so I stopped. Had been a long time since I shot anything, and I shake a bit as it is.

It appears to have what I think are called, "Combat Sights?" It shoots low, unless I put the center post white dot exactly where I want it to hit (as opposed to putting the dot on top of the post).

That's how Glocks shoot for me, I need to put the dot over what I want to hit.

If you're really used to a 6-o'clock hold you will just have to deal with it. S&W uses a proprietary sight cut and I'm not sure what different height sights are available.

If this is a combat gun, a 6-o'clock hold vs. a "combat" hold as you described is only going to shift the point of impact very slightly. I wouldn't worry about it unless you're a bullseye target shooter, and then again the pistol you got is a compact carry gun... You'll be fine.

Baccusboy

Teecha, teecha
    Oct 10, 2010
    Seoul
    Ha... IF I were ever in a combat situation with this gun, I doubt I would get to use the sights. :)

I need a lot more practice before I'd consider it a gun that I would find the most useful in a self-defense situation. Still thinking about getting a .38 snub or a smaller 9mm like a Glock 26 or SR9c.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    Ha... IF I were ever in a combat situation with this gun, I doubt I would get to use the sights. :)

I need a lot more practice before I'd consider it a gun that I would find the most useful in a self-defense situation. Still thinking about getting a .38 snub or a smaller 9mm like a Glock 26 or SR9c.

Sounds like you know what you're doing. :thumbsup:

Baccusboy

Teecha, teecha
    Oct 10, 2010
    Seoul
    That's how Glocks shoot for me, I need to put the dot over what I want to hit.

If you're really used to a 6-o'clock hold you will just have to deal with it. S&W uses a proprietary sight cut and I'm not sure what different height sights are available.

Another guy with one on the 1911 forum put some 10-8 sights on it, and he now has no issues.

People were commenting in another thread over there that these guns coming out of the ME plant seem to shoot way low. It's becoming a well-known issue, I guess? The other guy with the 1911SC had to make a pyramid with the stock sights to put shots where he wanted them, until he switched to the 10-8 sights.

jawn

YOU TROLLIN!
    Feb 10, 2011
    INTARWEB
    Another guy with one on the 1911 forum put some 10-8 sights on it, and he now has no issues.

People were commenting in another thread over there that these guns coming out of the ME plant seem to shoot way low. It's becoming a well-known issue, I guess? The other guy with the 1911SC had to make a pyramid with the stock sights to put shots where he wanted them, until he switched to the 10-8 sights.

Yeah, just know that your S&W has its own sight cut, so finding different height options may be a little more difficult. Doesn't sound like your particular gun has a problem. For me, I hate the 6 o'clock hold, and I expect all of my handguns to shoot Point of Aim = Point of Impact. YMMV. I can count to potato.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom