• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Biohazard2m

Apr 12, 2012
    My wife and I are interviewing our first babysitter to watch our 5 month old son. I have a Glock 23 stashed at all times as my home defense weapon. I'm planning on locking it in the safe during the hours she will work. My question is, am I obligated to reveal its existence to the babysitter? Any input is appreciated.

lilpenny

Jan 26, 2013
    Ellicott City
    My wife and I are interviewing our first babysitter to watch our 5 month old son. I have a Glock 23 stashed at all times as my home defense weapon. I'm planning on locking it in the safe during the hours she will work. My question is, am I obligated to reveal its existence to the babysitter? Any input is appreciated.

If you have it locked in the safe, I do not see why you would have to tell a babysitter. If you know a lawyer, I would ask for advice

TTMD

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2012

I don't think you have an obligation in this regard anymore than revealing the existence of your grandfathers Rolex in your top dresser drawer, or the rat poison on the shelf in the garage.

You probably should reveal things like the loose step at the bottom of the basement staircase, or the way you have to jiggle the lock on the sliding glass door to get it to open.

But not a firearm. In fact, that might not even be a smart thing to do.

Edit: I just read through this again, and hope it doesn't sound like I'm being a smart@$$ or condescending. That wasn't my intent at all. I think asking the question is smart, but I think you're in the clear on this.

spclopr8tr

Whatchalookinat?
    Apr 20, 2013
    TN
    I don't think you have an obligation in this regard anymore than revealing the existence of your grandfathers Rolex in your top dresser drawer, or the rat poison on the shelf in the garage.

You probably should reveal things like the loose step at the bottom of the basement staircase, or the way you have to jiggle the lock on the sliding glass door to get it to open.

But not a firearm. In fact, that might not even be a smart thing to do.

Edit: I just read through this again, and hope it doesn't sound like I'm being a smart@$$ or condescending. That wasn't my intent at all. I think asking the question is smart, but I think you're in the clear on this.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

kgain673

I'm sorry for the typos!!
    Dec 18, 2007
    Would u tell the sitter about $1000 dollars stashed in your safe? Keep it locked, it's none of her business.

miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    I believe unless the babysitter fails within certain categories of age or has a safety course the pistol has to be locked up and unavailable to them per state law right?

I never told our babysitters directly about any of my guns, but a few of them have become close and I have actually taken them to the range.

Only thing I tell them is the plan if something silly happens, which room of the house they should go to and who they should call. That way when I show up or the police they can tell them where they are hunkered down.

TD

QM2

Nov 27, 2013
    Maryland
    No need for her to know anything about any firearms. Like others have said.... Keep it in the safe, out of sight, out of mind.

yellowfin

Pro 2A Gastronome
    Jul 30, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
    Don't hire a babysitter that doesn't have a FL or UT CCW. That way you know they're responsible, on the same page as you, and pass a background check.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Eh. I am pretty sure I would let no babysitter/housesitter, etc... know. Especially with the "better yet, show them how to use it" advice. Regardless of what permit/training they may have.

This seems like there would be some sort of vicarious liability involved with that in the event something were to happen.

" Mr. and Mrs. Jones showed me how to use it and what to do". I'd want no part of that litigation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom