• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    So the difference in a civilian Ar15 and a military AR-15 , is select fire? Or is that just the between an M16 and a Ar15

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same gun, I mentioned the technical details in this thread.

The U.S. Military adopted the Colt/Armaite AR15. It was select fire. They just renamed it when they adopted in a large scale.

Its the same gun that was available in both selct fire and semi auto to the general public, until the select fire variants were banned in 1986.

chesapeakeIRON

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2012
    Harford County
    Same gun, I mentioned the technical details in this thread.

The U.S. Military adopted the Colt/Armaite AR15. It was select fire. They just renamed it when they adopted in a large scale.

Its the same gun that was available in both selct fire and semi auto to the general public, until the select fire variants were banned in 1986.

Thanks - I’ll scroll back through I must have missed it, that makes sense though...just when you think you know something you learn even more

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    I don't understand what is so hard for some people to understand about this.

It's like you have a bunch of Camaros. Some are v8 and the others v6. The V8s made after 1986 got banned for the general public and the pre86 V8s are much more valuable and harder to get. Some people want to keep the V6 model on the DL or claim it is completely different than the V8 version so the people who think everyone should drive a prius don't try to ban the V6.

How's that for an analogy? :D

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I don't understand what is so hard for some people to understand about this.

It's like you have a bunch of Camaros. Some are v8 and the others v6. The V8s made after 1986 got banned for the general public and the pre86 V8s are much more valuable and harder to get. Some people want to keep the V6 model on the DL or claim it is completely different than the V8 version so the people who think everyone should drive a prius don't try to ban the V6.

How's that for an analogy? :D

:thumbsup:

Perfect analogy IMO.

cmartin

Jun 11, 2009
    If you attempt to "Justify" need to an anti, you have already given up the high ground and lost the battle. It is my right . End of discussion.

Sirex