• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bean93x

JamBandGalore
    Mar 27, 2008
    WV
    Aside from legality issues in MD, Who produces the better "switch blade" type knife? I have been considering a Benchmade 9101 but what are my options for the money? I am on the fence about serrated or not but my EDC is a plain edge kershaw chive. What say you guys?

NickZac

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    I am guessing you are looking for a decent EDC? Will it see heavier usage or work that will put strain on the lock itself? This is my 2 cents if it means anything...

Legality aside, the value of automatic knives have really fallen in the past few decades with the appearance of so many one-handed openers, assisted, flippers, and waved knives. In terms of sheer speed, the waved mechanisms (Emerson patent, used by many with permission such as Spyderco) is probably the fastest because upon the draw, the knife is held in a position for immediate usage. With both side opening and OTFs, one must often reposition their fingers or grip before usage.

As a general rule, automatics make poor hard-usage knives. The most common locking mechanisms used are not all that strong, quickly develop blade play, they easily gum up, are easily affected by the elements compared to other locking mechanisms used, and often are just a lot more expensive than other options. I own the original AutoStryker 9100...it's a neat knife, but slow compared to a manual AXIS because AXIS is just that fast, and the lock is just weak relative to other knives in that class.

Benchmade makes some really nice autos with the usage of the "Auto-AXIS"...rather than using a traditional plunge lock, the automatic action and lock operate around AXIS, which is a strong, reliable, and proven locking system that is very easy to operate.

If I had to personally pick what I think is the best auto on the market for all-around capability and value, it would be the Benchmade 2750 Adamas Auto-AXIS, hands-down because that knife doesn't compromise on any front. AXIS, great ergos, great steel, thick blade, good grind, carries well for a big knife, and integrates well with it's sheath. But the manual version is just as fast and every bit as capable and a lot less expensive in some cases. Both the auto and manual Benchmade Adamas has seen a massive popularity within LE and military circles, and Benchmade has noted it is one of their best sellers through their LE/military sales programs.

Protech, Spyderco, Microtech, and others have some really nice models as well, but most are still using plunge locks and the autos often cost twice that of manuals...compared to Auto-AXIS, it's just not capable of the same heavy work. A few other makers offer autos with good locks...but they are usually starting at $400 and quickly go up in price. For that sort of money, one could get a flagship Sebenza 25 or Umnumzaan from Chris Reeve, which is widely considered to be the industry benchmark for all folding knives...and the reason I do not discuss Spyderco automatics is because Spyderco autos are well-made, but expensive and from a company that has a lot of low-cost, high-performance folders...for example, the Paramilitary 2 can be had for a little over $100...and it's IMHO as good as a folding knife can be. (Spyderco makes some really nice rescue autos which are great folders for their intended purpose, but I'm guessing this is for a general EDC so it doesn't really apply unless I am wrong.) Also, the ZT 0560/0561/0300 are other reasons I cannot give most autos the thumbs up given how much knife you get for the money and how they are as capable as any folder made to date is. The most popular Protech Auto is probably the TR3 & Godson and Microtech the Socom...great knives but in my personal opinion, a Spydie PM2 is just more capable.

If price isn't a huge consideration, the Chris Reeve Sebenza may be of interest. I own a few hundred knives...I've lost count of exactly how many, but I EDC a Small Unique Graphic Sebenza 95% of the time. A similar knife to the Seb that costs less than half as much is the Spyderco Sage Titanium...another one of my favorites as I personally prefer titanium bodies, titanium frame locks, and powder stainless steels like S30V, S35VN, ELMAX, CTS-XHP, etc.

Copper

Shock Trooper In Stooper
    Jan 26, 2012
    As a poor civil servant I cant afford some of the better knives, that being said I carry a Boker first gen AK 47 automatic at work. For a $40 knife it has served me well for a number of years now. It has done everything from opening envelopes to cutting flex cuffs and even cutting drywall and digging a bullet out of the stud at a crime scene. I'm happy with it.

ToneGrail

MSI, NRA, & SAF Member
    Dec 18, 2008
    Towson, People's Republik of MD
    As a poor civil servant I cant afford some of the better knives, that being said I carry a Boker first gen AK 47 automatic at work. For a $40 knife it has served me well for a number of years now. It has done everything from opening envelopes to cutting flex cuffs and even cutting drywall and digging a bullet out of the stud at a crime scene. I'm happy with it.

I have one as well but the 2nd Gen model without the safety on the spine but with the recessed firing/lock button. I actually like the 2nd Gen better because the recessed button is less likely to fire if you don't want to use the safety, which I wouldn't be inclinded to use.

Boker Magnum also makes some decent autos for under $40.

I have a Benchmade 5270. while it's a fine blade, it's definitely overpriced. At $125 (which included the LE discount), it was an impulse buy.

I've found that I actually prefer manual folders because they are more durable, less prone to failure, and just as quick if not quicker to deploy, not to mention way less $$$.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Imetthevarmit

Latest threads

Top Bottom