• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    Dogs? What if you are chased by aliens? Or a large feral cat? Or maybe a rabid hamster? Trash panda anyone?

Call your favorite priest and turn yourself in. Confess everything.

Here we go on another trip to Waddif City. :rolleyes:

There's nothing wrong with game planning in advance. "The body cannot go where the mind has never been." Unlike many "home invasion by Spetznaz Ninjas" threads, this one actually seems quite believable. As a runner, I've had regular run-ins with dogs (admittedly not what I'd call feral, just poorly trained off-leash pets) in the city and county. For me, pepper spray usually does the trick. If a dog attacks my dog (mine is always leashed), then that's where one of my knives comes into play, as trying to get a shot into canine chaos is just asking for errant rounds fired into me, innocent people, or my own dog.

I think your attitude sucks. With lots of new carriers of firearms in MD, I like to see at least one of them (the OP) THINKING about this stuff ahead of time rather than trying to come up with a grand plan when the chips are down.

antco

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Calvert, MD
    Had some neighborhood dogs get out and chase my daughters who were riding their bikes last year or late 2020. Time flies. They are 5 & 7 now.

Two large Labrador-sized mutt things with terrible training, usually left outside in a chain link fenced yard, barking at every car and chasing the fence line at every person. Totally bored and restless. Probably hungry too.

They got out on this one day and it was the end of one of them. My wife strangled it with a bicycle. I’m not sure of the mechanics of that option or what exactly led to that option, but that’s where it went. Some things I don’t ask questions- best to not know.

My 7 year old is still terrified of any dog larger than 40 lbs.

Haven’t had anymore problems with dogs at from house. Owners did replace the one but they stay inside now instead of outside.

Don’t mess with a PTSD veteran Irish New Yorkers babies on a bike ride.

Lots of irresponsible dog owners out there with undisciplined shithead out of control dogs. I don’t understand why most people even have dogs unless it’s novelty or seemed like a good idea at the time seven years ago.

I put my kids life above any animals 100 times to 0. Mine too. 50/50 on the wife- she can be a handful.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    There's nothing wrong with game planning in advance. "The body cannot go where the mind has never been." Unlike many "home invasion by Spetznaz Ninjas" threads, this one actually seems quite believable. As a runner, I've had regular run-ins with dogs (admittedly not what I'd call feral, just poorly trained off-leash pets) in the city and county. For me, pepper spray usually does the trick. If a dog attacks my dog (mine is always leashed), then that's where one of my knives comes into play, as trying to get a shot into canine chaos is just asking for errant rounds fired into me, innocent people, or my own dog.

I think your attitude sucks. With lots of new carriers of firearms in MD, I like to see at least one of them (the OP) THINKING about this stuff ahead of time rather than trying to come up with a grand plan when the chips are down.
    I’m not the one that’s scared of Fifi.
    And I’ve also seen what happened when folks attempted to stop an attacking dog with a handgun. More than one case. Rarely was the dog hit and stopped… and in one case the person being bitten, went to the ER with a bullet through their foot.

As you point out… the proper defense will be a good pepper mace. And that’s only if the dog in question is not already trained.

Want to know what to do if attacked by dog/s while carrying a pistol?
    Talk to a K9 trainer.

Pulling out your gat and blasting away… ain’t it.

Waddifing the scenario on the internet, for folks new to this, simply takes a lot of people down the rabbit hole with Alice and the Mad Hatter.

I don’t gas what you think about my attitude. You don’t know me. You read a single post and copped an attitude of your own. Your welcome to your opinion.

Run safe… and help steer folks away from handgun response to errant pets that are too small to present a safe backstop for the lead they’re blazing away with. The lives saved on the other side of Fifi will thank you.

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    This has been a good thread for me. I recently had neighbors dog take a hunk out of my hand.

As I'm in the process of getting my HGP I've been pondering what I'd do if that dog ever had an opportunity for a full blown attack.

I would kill it, just a question of how much of me he eats first.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Whats Statute say about the use of Electric Control Devices... either contact or fired in this situation?
    Think of a dog biting you is like being attacked by a person with a knife. There is no physical contact defense with less than lethal force. You can't block a dog's muzzle with teeth while using your other hand employing a taser.
    I doubt a taser will work on a vicious dog. I won't be the first test case. Fur, thick skin, no real center mass.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Think of a dog biting you is like being attacked by a person with a knife. There is no physical contact defense with less than lethal force. You can't block a dog's muzzle with teeth while using your other hand employing a taser.
    I doubt a taser will work on a vicious dog. I won't be the first test case. Fur, thick skin, no real center mass.
    I wouldn’t fault anyone for shooting my dog if he were coming at them. I think he’s beyond that now.

mpollan1

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 26, 2012
    Мэриленд
    And if clamped, would the taser not cause more clamp? Would the shock get you as well? Curious how that would work because as you can tell I'm pretty ignorant on the subject.

davela

Aug 7, 2022
    Edgewater, MD
    While in classes with my dogs, I’ve seen more than one aggressive dog completely unphased by being hit at full blast with a shock collar. Granted, that’s not the same voltage, but I wouldn’t pin my hopes on one.

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    I’m not the one that’s scared of Fifi.
    And I’ve also seen what happened when folks attempted to stop an attacking dog with a handgun. More than one case. Rarely was the dog hit and stopped… and in one case the person being bitten, went to the ER with a bullet through their foot.

As you point out… the proper defense will be a good pepper mace. And that’s only if the dog in question is not already trained.

Want to know what to do if attacked by dog/s while carrying a pistol?
    Talk to a K9 trainer.

Pulling out your gat and blasting away… ain’t it.

Waddifing the scenario on the internet, for folks new to this, simply takes a lot of people down the rabbit hole with Alice and the Mad Hatter.

I don’t gas what you think about my attitude. You don’t know me. You read a single post and copped an attitude of your own. Your welcome to your opinion.

Run safe… and help steer folks away from handgun response to errant pets that are too small to present a safe backstop for the lead they’re blazing away with. The lives saved on the other side of Fifi will thank you.
    See that? I guess it wasn't so hard to actually provide good advice rather than just crapping all over the OPs question after all.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    See that? I guess it wasn't so hard to actually provide good advice rather than just crapping all over the OPs question after all.
    Well, I guess you missed the irony…

After years and years of MDS “police are only there to shoot your dog” comments…
    We get a thread about “how to shoot someone else’s dog if you have a new wear and carry permit!” Waddafug?

Get your dog off of my lawn.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air

After years and years of MDS “police are only there to shoot your dog” comments…
    We get a thread about “how to shoot someone else’s dog if you have a new wear and carry permit!” Waddafug?

There’s still a difference. He’s not going to someone’s house uninvited and shooting a dog that is doing what it’s supposed to be doing, where it’s supposed to be doing it. ;)

Last edited:

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009

I thought that was just the ATF?

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    There’s still a difference. He’s not going to someone’s house uninvited and shooting a dog that is doing what it’s supposed to be doing, where it’s supposed to be doing it. ;)
    If one is lawfully there… it makes no difference when the dog attacks.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    Well remember dogs are at ground level and every bullet that does not hit you are responsible for regardless if its justifiable. This maybe one of those moments depending on where it happens that EDC Knife may be the solution yes that means you get a bite but if you are say in the city or somewhere that has concrete or asphalt as the ground you are standing on and back stop is houses or garages or fences it maybe worth the pain to chance it with knife instead of hoping for a good backstop that potentially can catch possible ricochets with no possible harm to unforeseen innocents.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Well remember dogs are at ground level and every bullet that does not hit you are responsible for regardless if its justifiable. This maybe one of those moments depending on where it happens that EDC Knife may be the solution yes that means you get a bite but if you are say in the city or somewhere that has concrete or asphalt as the ground you are standing on and back stop is houses or garages or fences it maybe worth the pain to chance it with knife instead of hoping for a good backstop that potential can catch possible ricochets with no possible harm to unforeseen innocents.
    I look at it as a bear attack. Deadly force, in most instances, is not called for until you become a victim of the attack. In my previously mentioned encounter, it took place in a deep creek bottom surrounded on all sides be embankment. As you alluded to, every bullet you fire has a lawyer attached to it. If your plan to defend yourself in the event of a dog attack in any kind of urban environment, plan on that shot being a contact shot.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    I look at it as a bear attack. Deadly force, in most instances, is not called for until you become a victim of the attack. In my previously mentioned encounter, it took place in a deep creek bottom surrounded on all sides be embankment. As you alluded to, every bullet you fire has a lawyer attached to it. If your plan to defend yourself in the event of a dog attack in any kind of urban environment, plan on that shot being a contact shot.
    Bears are different animals all together... :D
    :innocent0 ;)

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    However, in the home any shepherding breed worth his salt is going to try to bite your nuts off. That’s his job.
    Yep. One reason I hate Australian shepards. They're some of the worst as far as NBs(negligent bitings)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom