• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Having had my hand maimed by a local idiot's off-leash pit bull (which saw me walking our dog, and ran a block and a half at us full throttle to attack while his owner yelled "Just kick him!"), I'm going to give the matter some on the spot thought, but not hesitate to shoot a dangerous, attacking dog. And I love dogs. Unfortunately, shooting the dog's owner won't stop the dog from maiming you when it's unleashed and looking for trouble. It's funny how I contemplate having to do that with more dread than I contemplate having to shoot an attacking human being. I suppose it's because cruise control nature/nurture in the dog is one thing, but a human has the capacity to weigh the consequences of their actions and can choose not to obey their violent impulses.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I gave a pitbull a warning shot once. If he hadn't turned and ran, I was totally prepared to put one in his melon. He was 15 yards and closing. He advanced one step with every bark. There was a big rotten tree trunk lying between us. I knew when he made it to the log, he would launch at me. I aimed straight in his direction, putting the round into the rotten log, spraying him with wood chunks. He turned and retreated about 30 yards and I quickly backed away.

davela

Aug 7, 2022
    Edgewater, MD
    A year and a half ago I was walking my 8 month old puppy around the neighborhood. Someone, who had a fenced backyard, had their pit off leash on their front porch and it charged us in the street. The dog got a good bite of her LR leg. The wound was superficial, but it still cost several hundred at the emergency vet to treat. Unfortunately for the pit, my 8 month old puppy happened to be an 80 something lb (at the time) presa canario and it lit that dog the **** up.

I wasn’t mad at the dog. I was made at the dipshit owner that let a known dog-aggressive animal loose, particularly because they had a fenced yard.

To the point of the thread- I’m a dog lover. I love them all, pitbulls included, but have zero reservations putting an animal down that becomes a danger to my family, which include my own dogs.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    A year and a half ago I was walking my 8 month old puppy around the neighborhood. Someone, who had a fenced backyard, had their pit off leash on their front porch and it charged us in the street. The dog got a good bite of her LR leg. The wound was superficial, but it still cost several hundred at the emergency vet to treat. Unfortunately for the pit, my 8 month old puppy happened to be an 80 something lb (at the time) presa canario and it lit that dog the **** up.

I wasn’t mad at the dog. I was made at the dipshit owner that let a known dog-aggressive animal loose, particularly because they had a fenced yard.

To the point of the thread- I’m a dog lover. I love them all, pitbulls included, but have zero reservations putting an animal down that becomes a danger to my family, which include my own dogs.
    My dog can be aggressive. We’re making good headway, but we are very careful. I’d be mortified if my dog did that.

davela

Aug 7, 2022
    Edgewater, MD
    My dog can be aggressive. We’re making good headway, but we are very careful. I’d be mortified if my dog did that.
    I have no problem with that. I’ve had three Presas since 05. My first, a male, could not be around any other dog aside from my female at the time. People? He was fine. My solution was no public places and no walks during ‘peak hours’. Some dogs just don’t do other dogs. Again, I wasn’t upset with the dog. I was furious that an animal that had, apparently, attacked a few other dogs was allowed to roam free, despite having a fenced yard!

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I have no problem with that. I’ve had three Presas since 05. My first, a male, could not be around any other dog aside from my female at the time. People? He was fine. My solution was no public places and no walks during ‘peak hours’. Some dogs just don’t do other dogs. Again, I wasn’t upset with the dog. I was furious that an animal that had, apparently, attacked a few other dogs was allowed to roam free, despite having a fenced yard!
    Yep. That’s just crazy. People suck.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    If one cannot contribute intelligently and helpfully to an actual real life concern as outlined in this thread, they should refrain from posting. :rolleyes:
    RD has a point . Thinking things ahead is indeed a good thing , but there is an internet rabbit hole of coming up with the most obscure and ambiguous scenarios .

When in doubt , everything comes down to the basic bottom line :

Are you in imeadate danger of death or serious bodily injury ? And able to articulate why ?

Brychan

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Baltimore
    I am of the opinion that if attacked by dog or dogs, or being attacked by about anything other than a swarm of bee or the like, having a firearm is better than being unarmed.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    RD has a point . Thinking things ahead is indeed a good thing , but there is an internet rabbit hole of coming up with the most obscure and ambiguous scenarios .

Are you in imeadate danger of death or serious bodily injury ? And able to articulate why ?
    And… internet bravado aside.
    Dogs are very small and most times very fast moving targets. They are also frequently in the company of children. So it is incumbent upon all of us, especially the new carriers, to be extremely careful of our surroundings. The “secondary unintended” targets must be considered in any response to the threat of injury from any source.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007

The OP’s post concerning aggressive canines is not a rabbit hole. It’s a very common scenario in our society that has been experienced by others, two of them personally experienced by myself while on walks in the ‘hood.

RoadDawg’s response was asinine. He was going down a rabbit hole himself. Please. .. :rolleyes: no need to defend that.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Meanwhile , back at dogs ;

Be careful of your trajectory . When doing a rescue shot on a dog that is clamped on to a chewee , it's not uncommon for a complete pass thru tp hit the chewee afterwards , either the chewee themselves, or someone else taking the shot .

Mr. Anderson

May 22, 2022
    Severna park
    Meanwhile , back at dogs ;

Be careful of your trajectory . When doing a rescue shot on a dog that is clamped on to a chewee , it's not uncommon for a complete pass thru tp hit the chewee afterwards , either the chewee themselves, or someone else taking the shot .
    Usually Chihuahuas clamp on to my dog. They’re mean little rats

mpollan1

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 26, 2012
    Мэриленд
    I gave a pitbull a warning shot once. If he hadn't turned and ran, I was totally prepared to put one in his melon. He was 15 yards and closing. He advanced one step with every bark. There was a big rotten tree trunk lying between us. I knew when he made it to the log, he would launch at me. I aimed straight in his direction, putting the round into the rotten log, spraying him with wood chunks. He turned and retreated about 30 yards and I quickly backed away.
    Sitting here at my keyboard watching Premiere League Soccer, I think I would have ended that dog's life. If it approached you in that manner without provocation B, I dare say it was neither the first nor the last such behavior. But again, I was not there in the moment so yeah, hard call.

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    Sitting here at my keyboard watching Premiere League Soccer, I think I would have ended that dog's life. If it approached you in that manner without provocation B, I dare say it was neither the first nor the last such behavior. But again, I was not there in the moment so yeah, hard call.
    And the papers want to know whose shirt you wear.

Totenham 'otspur?

Sirex