• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BunkerKing

5.56 ammo horder. . .
    Jun 5, 2012
    Land of the O's
    i received another package of goodies from Cheaper than Dirt today, one part i was worried about was the ATI buffer kit, i figured i'd give it a try since it was only $40 bucks. problem i found was the castle nut has NO notches for staking. and the buffer itself feels very light. so tonight im going to mark the nut and notch it and throw my spare spikes T2 buffer in, but on a good note, the buffer tube fits really smooth into thre CTR stock. almost to the point where point that the friction lock doesnt make a difference. should have saved the extra coin by gettting an MOE instead lol. pics will be up soon.:innocent0

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Cut the Caslte Nut for Notches.

Ony use the Buffer Spring or Buffer from the kit. Use a Colt, BCM, or Spikes H Buffer. For a Recoil Spring I only suggest Spikes and Colt Buffer Springs. Colt Buffer Springs are called "Action Springs"

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    Someone once brought one of these in for me to assemble a stripped lower with. The threads fit VERY loosely in the lower receiver, so loose that even when screwed in up to the buffer retainer, there was about 1/4" of movement either way side to side at the far back end of the receiver extension. The castle nut (if you can call it that) also fit loosely, and the fit of everything felt slightly snug once threaded down hand tight against the end plate...

Check and make sure you didn't have the problems listed above. I was so shocked by how out-of-spec the parts were I refused to install them, and advised the customer to return them to where he got them from. He returned with some better quality parts and all was well.

If anything feels "not right" or cheesy, run it by someone who is qualified to build these. Remember these are firearms and safety is key. Good luck with your build!

retrorichard

Member of Team Awesome
    Dec 24, 2009
    Rockville
    Someone once brought one of these in for me to assemble a stripped lower with. The threads fit VERY loosely in the lower receiver, so loose that even when screwed in up to the buffer retainer, there was about 1/4" of movement either way side to side at the far back end of the receiver extension. The castle nut (if you can call it that) also fit loosely, and the fit of everything felt slightly snug once threaded down hand tight against the end plate...

Check and make sure you didn't have the problems listed above. I was so shocked by how out-of-spec the parts were I refused to install them, and advised the customer to return them to where he got them from. He returned with some better quality parts and all was well.

If anything feels "not right" or cheesy, run it by someone who is qualified to build these. Remember these are firearms and safety is key. Good luck with your build!

Exact story happened to me (unless Smores used to work at engage- the person in the story was me). I ended up buying a Daniel defense tube and no issues at all. The ATI items were all crap; if you can return it please try. I still have mine in a package.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

BunkerKing

5.56 ammo horder. . .
    Jun 5, 2012
    Land of the O's
    i understand completely, if it doesnt feel right its going right back. i take pride in whatever i do, gun builds or engines. lol chad, you guys have decent kits in stock? milspec?

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    i understand completely, if it doesnt feel right its going right back. i take pride in whatever i do, gun builds or engines. lol chad, you guys have decent kits in stock? milspec?

Sold out on pretty much everything AR at the moment. Many of the distributors are out of what I order.

BunkerKing

5.56 ammo horder. . .
    Jun 5, 2012
    Land of the O's

well i picked up my lower from gus today, when i got home i gave the ATI a shot, mine has no movement at all. almost they were made for each other. and the nut threaded on the same way. the only issue i see is the plate is poorly cut. also the tab that keeps the buffer tube true, is alot smaller than the notch on the tube, so i just had my buddy "lend" me his MagPul.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom