• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    ATF releases Form Processing times every three months or so.

December's information:
    ATF%20times1.jpg

The most recently released information, based on processing up to March 1, 2014:
    v6qfqr.png

As you can see, the average approval time for Form 1s and Form 4s have increased by one month over the previous three month period. EForms still seem to be coming back at three to four months for both Forms 1 and 4.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    That Form 5 is a load of crap! I got a MG on a C&R Form 5 a while back and it took every bit as long as a Form 4.

The funny thing to me is it takes 2 months on a form 2. Thats just a damn notice. The gun probably already has a Form 3 or 4 filed before they get to processing a Form 2...

If that was private industry, those charts would be in days, not months and the Form 1 and 4 would still be lower!

USAFRavenR6

Apr 7, 2012
    Mur-land
    I just had a form 1 returned to me this afternoon for verification on model. I am really hoping I do not go back to the bottom of the pile.

Kingjamez

Gun Builder
    Oct 22, 2009
    Fairfax, VA
    Eforms are rapidly approaching paper forms. Paper forms are quickly coming down in time . I suspect that the poor performance of the website is slowing the examiners on eforms too. Looking at NFA tracker the eform best fit line is almost vertical.

-Jim

A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012
    Form 3s have not been taking anywhere near that long. I've been getting items in 3 to 4 weeks, not months.

pwoolford

AR15's make me :-)
    Jan 3, 2012
    White Marsh
    My eform1 came back to me on 24 December since my trust document was fuzzy. I went to the bottom of the pile and am still waiting.

I did a few form 1's around 12/20 and I'm still waiting too. I'm guessing about 4-6 weeks more. The whole process is ridiculous and a waste of time. The FFL should just tack on the $200 "tax stamp" and print it off the web.

USAFRavenR6

Apr 7, 2012
    Mur-land
    My eform1 came back to me on 24 December since my trust document was fuzzy. I went to the bottom of the pile and am still waiting.

Did they return it or send you a letter indicating that the trust was unclear? Mine was strictly forgetting the date as well as double checking the receiver model number.

Across the top of the form was the file number so I opted to use the original form 1s sent to the ATF. I have no idea how their process works, I dont know if they checked into my trust yet or not, I would really hope they are past just looking the form over considering they have been in the pipeline since June 2013 but it would not come as a shock to me what so ever if thats all the far they got.

sleev-les

Prestige Worldwide
    Dec 27, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    Did they return it or send you a letter indicating that the trust was unclear? Mine was strictly forgetting the date as well as double checking the receiver model number.

Across the top of the form was the file number so I opted to use the original form 1s sent to the ATF. I have no idea how their process works, I dont know if they checked into my trust yet or not, I would really hope they are past just looking the form over considering they have been in the pipeline since June 2013 but it would not come as a shock to me what so ever if thats all the far they got.

It came back dissaproved. You'd think that they would email you and ask for a more legible copy (it wasn't even that fuzzy and I made a comment about it in a thread I started during my first submission). Instead, they decided to reject it, make me resubmit and pay $200 again. My cc was charged the day after Christmas and it took them a month to refund my first $200. The whole thing is a joke.

Kingjamez

Gun Builder
    Oct 22, 2009
    Fairfax, VA
    It came back dissaproved. You'd think that they would email you and ask for a more legible copy (it wasn't even that fuzzy and I made a comment about it in a thread I started during my first submission). Instead, they decided to reject it, make me resubmit and pay $200 again. My cc was charged the day after Christmas and it took them a month to refund my first $200. The whole thing is a joke.

They've stopped doing this now. I talked with Dana shortly after this happened to you and now they are simply doing a correction in the eForms and not out-right rejecting.

Of course in this case, the OP appears to have a paperform mailed back to him. That's very different.

OP, I would have done brand new forms. I guess we'll see how it turns out.

-Jim

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    Sooner or later, NFA-34 will be challenged in court based on these numbers. It's one thing to require a background check. Even a thorough check. It's quite another to stall nearly a year - especially with NICS working for two decades.

USAFRavenR6

Apr 7, 2012
    Mur-land
    Just got off the phone with the ATF to ensure they received my updated form 1 from earlier in the week. Guy confirmed that they received it and it was good. The part that kills me is that it is now into a pending status, same as this past September and is only waiting on approval at this time which is scheduled for July. Everything looks good and scheduled for July?!?!?! I mean outside of a background check and ensuring my forms are in order, what the hell is really left to approve? Am I missing something here?

Kingjamez

Gun Builder
    Oct 22, 2009
    Fairfax, VA
    Just got off the phone with the ATF to ensure they received my updated form 1 from earlier in the week. Guy confirmed that they received it and it was good. The part that kills me is that it is now into a pending status, same as this past September and is only waiting on approval at this time which is scheduled for July. Everything looks good and scheduled for July?!?!?! I mean outside of a background check and ensuring my forms are in order, what the hell is really left to approve? Am I missing something here?
    Your forms were never in anything other than a pending status. It looks like someone (intern perhaps) looked over your forms for correctness so that once it got to the actual examiner, it will be correct. This process saved you time in the long run. NFA takes time, if you go into it all hot and bothered about the time, then you'd be better off not doing it at all, you'll just be miserable the whole time.

-Jim

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom