• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Yea but the whole point of filling a form 1 is so that you can replace the brace with a stock legally. Once you put the stock on an SBR it has to be 29” or longer but it isn’t a braced pistol.

The OP seemed to suggest that the ATF said you can’t replace the brave with a stock once the Form 1 is approved.
    The problem is, and the main reason I decided not to participate in the 'amnesty stamp'(call it what you will), there has been no clear literature dealing with differing over all length discrepancies.

But no, the whole point in filing a form 1 was to hopefully keep the AFT off your doorstep.

Last edited:

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    Yea but the whole point of filling a form 1 is so that you can replace the brace with a stock legally. Once you put the stock on an SBR it has to be 29” or longer but it isn’t a braced pistol.

The OP seemed to suggest that the ATF said you can’t replace the brave with a stock once the Form 1 is approved.
    The whole point of filling out the form 1 is to legally keep possession of the original braced pistol, in the ATF’s eyes as an “SBR”. However, in the eyes of the State of MD, the SBR has to be 29”, and if you can’t reach that the State still is okay calling it a “braced pistol”, exactly as it was previously legally purchased or built. The ATF doesn’t care how long it is, it’s now a legal SBR that doesn’t have to be turned in or destroyed to satisfy the ATF. You just can’t put a true stock on it or vertical grips, etc... unless you can make the 26” MD length.

You had to FIRST go thru the process to keep it a legal weapon (unless you were a “will not comply” guy), before addressing the possible future modifications under the Maryland statutes. Definitely a crazy situation, and I’m glad it’s over (allegedly).

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    The whole point of filling out the form 1 is to legally keep possession of the original braced pistol, in the ATF’s eyes as an “SBR”. However, in the eyes of the State of MD, the SBR has to be 29”, and if you can’t reach that the State still is okay calling it a “braced pistol”, exactly as it was previously legally purchased or built. The ATF doesn’t care how long it is, it’s now a legal SBR that doesn’t have to be turned in or destroyed to satisfy the ATF. You just can’t put a true stock on it or vertical grips, etc... unless you can make the 26” MD length.

You had to FIRST go thru the process to keep it a legal weapon (unless you were a “will not comply” guy), before addressing the possible future modifications under the Maryland statutes. Definitely a crazy situation, and I’m glad it’s over (allegedly).
    Except, 26" is not a legal length for an SBR in Md., so you are forced to keep a brace on it if OAL will be <29".

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    Except, 26" is not a legal length for an SBR in Md., so you are forced to keep a brace on it if OAL will be <29".
    Correct, as long as you’re ATF legal, it’s the old “no harm no foul” for the braced pistol in MD. The dumb part was having to re-establish your previously legal weapon under the ATF dumb rulings, that seems to now be in jeopardy of being overturned.

I can leave my 3 braced pistols as braced pistols/ATF legal SBR’s, or easily MD SBR the one and figure out how to MD SBR the other two. Although, I think I’m done with the foolishness for a good while, I bought them as braced pistols, they can remain braced pistols as far as I’m concerned.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Correct, as long as you’re ATF legal, it’s the old “no harm no foul” for the braced pistol in MD. The dumb part was having to re-establish your previously legal weapon under the ATF dumb rulings, that seems to now be in jeopardy of being overturned.

I can leave my 3 braced pistols as braced pistols/ATF legal SBR’s, or easily MD SBR the one and figure out how to MD SBR the other two. Although, I think I’m done with the foolishness for a good while, I bought them as braced pistols, they can remain braced pistols as far as I’m concerned.
    :thumbsup:

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA

Again, federal vs state. The whole point of filing the Form 1 is so the federal revenuers don’t shoot your dog. MD doesn’t care whether the braced pistol has a Form 1 or what it’s OAL is.

I know a few people who filed a Form 1 but continue to have a brace on their SBR while in MD and swap to a stock with a less than 29” OAL outside of MD.

Growler215

Ultimate Member
    Dec 30, 2020
    SOMD
    I know a few people who filed a Form 1 but continue to have a brace on their SBR while in MD and swap to a stock with a less than 29” OAL outside of MD.
    No skin off my nose, but don't you have to file a Form 5320.20 with ATF to get permission to take an SBR across state lines?

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    For state regulatory purposes, SBRs are simultaneously handguns and rifles. Semi auto SBRs are considered subject to the state’s 29” OAL of the assault long gun ban’s copycat definition.

MSP issued an advisory that they consider braced SBRs to remain purely handguns under state law. That’s why braced SBRs are not subject to the state’s 29” OAL.

I missed all that. Thats some stupid sh@t... Its a pistol and a Short Barrel Rifle but not a centerfire semiautomatic rifle.... Oh I see. Only in MD.

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    1690979908439.png

retired040

Jul 27, 2014
    From Maryland State Police Licensing Division Bulletin LD-FRU-15-004, dated August 14, 2015:

After October 1, 2015, dealers will no longer be required to submit SBR/SBS to the Handgun Roster Board for review and inclusion on the Handgun Roster, as previously required in Advisory LD-FRS-14-002. Public Safety Title 5-101 (n) handgun means a firearm with a barrel less than 16 inches in length. Dealers are reminded that a Maryland State Police Application and Affidavit to Purchase a Regulated Firearm (77R) is, and will remain, required for SBR’s/SBS’s with a barrel under 16” in length. Semi-automatic SBR’s with (1) an overall length of less than 29” and/or (2) any two of the following: (1) a folding stock; (2) a grenade launcher or flare launcher; or (3) a flash suppressor is a “copycat weapon” under provisions of the Firearm Safety Act of 2013 and is not eligible for sale to the general public unless the purchaser had a purchase order for, or a completed application to purchase, the firearm prior to October 1, 2013. Bulletin LD-FRU-15-004

So if the barrel OAL is less than 29" but doesn't have two evil features, it's not a copycat so should be good?

Last edited:

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    From Maryland State Police Licensing Division Bulletin LD-FRU-15-004, dated August 14, 2015:

After October 1, 2015, dealers will no longer be required to submit SBR/SBS to the Handgun Roster Board for review and inclusion on the Handgun Roster, as previously required in Advisory LD-FRS-14-002. Public Safety Title 5-101 (n) handgun means a firearm with a barrel less than 16 inches in length. Dealers are reminded that a Maryland State Police Application and Affidavit to Purchase a Regulated Firearm (77R) is, and will remain, required for SBR’s/SBS’s with a barrel under 16” in length. Semi-automatic SBR’s with (1) an overall length of less than 29” and/or (2) any two of the following: (1) a folding stock; (2) a grenade launcher or flare launcher; or (3) a flash suppressor is a “copycat weapon” under provisions of the Firearm Safety Act of 2013 and is not eligible for sale to the general public unless the purchaser had a purchase order for, or a completed application to purchase, the firearm prior to October 1, 2013. Bulletin LD-FRU-15-004

So if the barrel is less than 29" but doesn't have two evil features, it's not a copycat so should be good?
    You mean a barrel length shorter tan 16".

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Now that the FPC has won an injunction against ATF over the braced pistol regulation, and since I'm now a member of FPC in good standing, am I allowed to wander over to the range with a braced pistol without facing the possibility of jail time -- at least while the injunction is in effect?

Or is it limited to whatever circuit(s) in which the injunction was granted?

thomfantomas

Crna Ovca
    Feb 15, 2013
    Дундак ex Florida Keys
    Now that the FPC has won an injunction against ATF over the braced pistol regulation, and since I'm now a member of FPC in good standing, am I allowed to wander over to the range with a braced pistol without facing the possibility of jail time -- at least while the injunction is in effect?

Or is it limited to whatever circuit(s) in which the injunction was granted?
    I did :shrug:no jail for me,just lots of questions by individuals at the range(even the rso).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom